Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #1

DIY LED light accents

I was looking for some ideas for the Spoiler and lighting is a consideration so I created this thread to hold the ideas and DIY steps to achieve various effects.

I found a great "Angel Eyes" DIY but since you shape the light your self you could use
this technique in areas other than headlights.

You could create your own custom, professional looking light effects with this very simple and inexpensive technique for under $20
Create custom LED for Cars - YouTube

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-10-2013 at 12:02 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #2

get a "rope light" and put it around the side intakes

Amazon.com: Cool White 50 FT 110V-120V 2-Wire 1/2" LED Rope Light, Christmas Lighting, Indoor / Outdoor rope lighting - CBConcept Brand: Home & Kitchen
Mighty Shilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #3

I need a plastic surround for my radio install.

One idea lead to another and utilizing the Plexi radio surround idea from another thread here, where there is typically room along the top of the Double Din radio for a "Boxster" logo, and taking the idea one step farther.

Why not edgelite the plastic surround using the simple edge lighting technique to produce a dramatic light effect.

Here is how to DIY
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 10-04-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #4

I made some templates for the "Porsche" text that will go above my stereo and be Edge lit on a clear plastic, black background stereo trim plate that I will order.

I'm trying to get the sizing of the text right and then I'll have a place laser etch and cut the plastic surround for me.

I will attach and wire the edge LED's myself.

I need some Opinions on the text size and either normal spaced or wide spaced letters.

Please indicate by number your favorite with respect to text size and spacing (or none of them).

I could not find the "Boxster S" font but I suppose that is another option.

1) 24px high, normal spaced

2) 24px high, Wide spaced

3) 28px high, normal spaced

4) 28px high, Wide spaced

5) 36px high, normal spaced

Last edited by jb92563; 10-12-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #5

5 looks best to me
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #6

2 and 5 look best to me...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #7

Anyone know the wattage of the LED inside the driver and passenger door handles?
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Like the spacing and size

Last edited by particlewave; 10-12-2012 at 07:14 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
1999 base

Garage
#2 looks very OEM'y
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
Anyone know the wattage of the LED inside the driver and passenger door handles?
I'm not certain of the wattage, however there are resistors connected to the LED's in the door handles. very small LED's
They are very dim, thus the resistor it dropping the current..
I didn't make a note of the resistor colors or ohm resistance when I had the door panel off.

I like #1 myself..
Old 10-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #11
Homeboy981

Garage
Quick question….what is on the back of the car?

Also, do you have the Boxster/Boxster S logo at the bottom of the main console near the shifter? Why not duplicate that?

You can do it "old-school" by tracing since aren't you going to cut it out instead of using raised lettering? If so, it would be easy to use the logo on the console as a "master". You can make an etching and transfer using carbon paper. Then, turn the project over and cut the material.

You are using a black background? Is that going to reflect the light the way the clear plastic does? Using the "Tic, Tac, Toe" example you can also "overlay" the design. Heck, you could even make it flash like a neon light using 2 or more colors of LED lights…
….it could go PORSCHE and then P O R S C H E….or….P O R S C H E and then Boxster (in a the squiggly font they used).

Let us know what you decide and make sure to photo it - so we can duplicate! :dance:
Old 10-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Quick question….what is on the back of the car?

Also, do you have the Boxster/Boxster S logo at the bottom of the main console near the shifter? Why not duplicate that?

You can do it "old-school" by tracing since aren't you going to cut it out instead of using raised lettering? If so, it would be easy to use the logo on the console as a "master". You can make an etching and transfer using carbon paper. Then, turn the project over and cut the material.

You are using a black background? Is that going to reflect the light the way the clear plastic does? Using the "Tic, Tac, Toe" example you can also "overlay" the design. Heck, you could even make it flash like a neon light using 2 or more colors of LED lights…
….it could go PORSCHE and then P O R S C H E….or….P O R S C H E and then Boxster (in a the squiggly font they used).

Let us know what you decide and make sure to photo it - so we can duplicate! :dance:
The Tail of the car has just an "S" on the trunk lid.so instead of repeating it I'd rather have Porsche up top.

Console does Have "Boxster S"

The letters will be cut into the back side of the clear plexi and the uncut backside areas sprayed black except for the engraved letters which I think I'll spray some chrome paint to make it more reflective. White is another option. I'll need to experiment on another piece to see what reflects white LED light the best.

The flashing 2 different designs would be cool, but probably a bit more flashy than I want. I'll keep it simple on mine for now.

I'll put up my experimental piece videos when I get them done.
I might try the slow changing color led's as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
Here is an educated guess on the wattage.

Volts x Amps = Watts

12volts from the battery
Typical 5mm LED consumes about 30 Milli Amps = 0.030 Amps

12 x 0.030 = 0.36 Watts
Old 10-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #14

Another Light Accent idea popped into my head as I was looking in the rear view today and noticing the Plexi wind break between the two headrest roll bars.

That might be a good place for Edge lite as well.

Just use the original as a pattern and get a new piece of plexi engraved with the text or image of your choice and add some LED's and wire it to the driving lights and voila....more cool soft lighting effects.

Granted too much of a good thing might look tacky but choose something stylish and it ought to look good and set you apart from your Porsche friends.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Another Light Accent idea popped into my head as I was looking in the rear view today and noticing the Plexi wind break between the two headrest roll bars.

That might be a good place for Edge lite as well.
Ugh, no thanks, the view is bad enough as it is.
Imagine driving in the dark with that piece of plastic lighting up!

nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote