Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #1301

Garage
I'm so in there! :dance:

PM sent!

2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Just to clear up any confusion, Fred makes HID projector kits that must be installed into pre-existing headlights (no ready made options).

That said, the completed headlights have no equal in looks or performance. The install isn't exactly easy, but plenty have done their own.

Mine are pictured below. I installed Fred's Vivo series projectors, along with some smaller projectors (for the dual projector look) and some custom made daytime running lights.

The LED DRL looks amazing. Would love to know how that is done.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #1303

Sure you missed the side markers. comes as a kit or it just doesn't work
Old 07-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #1304
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
The LED DRL looks amazing. Would love to know how that is done.
Thanks

The round halos come with the GT Projectors. The light bars in the headlights are 6" CCFL's (cold cathode fluorescent lights).
I mounted an acrylic tube in the upper turn signal portion (inside the headlight) which extends to just outside of the case so that the CCFL bulbs can slide in and out for changing when they burn out.
The acrylic tube has a clear window in the front, but the rest was painted with a "mirror finish" paint so that all light is reflected forward for maximum light output. They are nice and bright

I don't have any pictures of the process or of the inside of the headlight showing how the tube is mounted.

And yes, I made some orange light bar side markers to match

Despite how it looks, they really don't affect turn signal visibility much.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-23-2016 at 09:45 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:08 AM   #1305

Quote:
The round halos come with the GT Projectors. The light bars in the headlights are 6" CCFL's (cold cathode fluorescent lights).
I mounted an acrylic tube in the upper turn signal portion (inside the headlight) which extends to just outside of the case so that the CCFL bulbs can slide in and out for changing when they burn out.
The acrylic tube has a clear window in the front, but the rest was painted with a "mirror finish" paint so that all light is reflected forward for maximum light output. They are nice and bright.
Are the CCFL's known to burn out? How often do they need to be changed? I'm leaning to LED's with a diffuser but so many of them are crap. Need to find a reliable one.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #1306
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The CCFL's are rated at 30,000 hours. Mine have been in for a couple years and have not burnt out or shown any signs of dimming.

LEDs don't have the soft and solid line look of these. LEDs can also be of questionable quality. When one single LED burns out, it looks terrible. With these, I have 2 bulbs that can burn out vs a couple dozen LEDs. The CCFLs are also low cost and take very little time to replace
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
Are the CCFL's known to burn out? How often do they need to be changed? I'm leaning to LED's with a diffuser but so many of them are crap. Need to find a reliable one.
Can’t comment on CCFL as I've never owned, tested, or even seen them myself. All I know is the professional car lighting system retrofitters that I personally know here in Shanghai and Tokyo simply do not install CCFL since a few years already. For two reasons; long phased out (using laser now), and categorized as unreliable. Perhaps the CCFL types that you guys are getting in the Americas are far superior in terms of supported technology, I have no idea.

If you ask me; personally I don’t use anything other than Xenon in my custom headlights for both low & high beams (bi-xenon). I need the output/temp and cutoff to be in line with local DOT regulation here (our cars requires yearly inspection). Those CCFL would automatically fail inspection here hence why ppl here just don’t install them anymore.

Same goes for the lower bumper DRL led bars i.e. those aftermarket DRL with overly powerful LEDs blinding the day light out of incoming traffic. Totally illegal if found to be aftermarket (car impounding + fines). In China/Shanghai anyway.

Lighting system designers here and JP now uses laser diodes and optical fiber to dress up headlights & taillights. Softer look & feel and safe(r) in terms of lumen output. Not my thing/taste at all but designed and installed carefully, those fiber optics 'supposedly' passes inspection here (I've heard, haven't tried lolll). Something worth looking into if you are into this kind of stuff.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #1308

At the shop doing those atm, tought I'd share my setup

Those are my angel eyes. As subtle as that really.

Those parking lights are in fact the original Porsche halogen 12v bulbs. Still works today can you believe this loll 4k temp, love it

Optic & Xenon for low & high beams. And that's it, sharp lighting only.

Simplicity! Possibly the best looking lighting system your DOT inspector will ever see. Works.

^ yup, still on the prototype :/
Old 07-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #1309

Garage
Beautiful! All these pics make me sorry I sold my (excellent condition) halogens and put Litronics on my car. Sad!
Old 07-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Beautiful! All these pics make me sorry I sold my (excellent condition) halogens and put Litronics on my car. Sad!
Litronic are perfectly fine headlights. Quality stuff for sure, seen them many time. Similar performance, I just can't possibly 'say publicly' which one win sadly

Have a spare set of headlights here with gunmetal Turismo w/ white angel eyes. That's what going in the car this summer!!! I'll take a few new pics & 4K vids with my new GH4... sure will make you regret your Nikon if not the headlights haha
Old 07-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #1311

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Have a spare set of headlights here with gunmetal Turismo w/ white angel eyes. That's what going in the car this summer!!! I'll take a few new pics & 4K vids with my new GH4... sure will make you regret your Nikon if not the headlights haha
Fred, you're killing me.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #1312

GTCollection.com is ONLINE and finally accepting orders!

https://goo.gl/3m86om

You’ll find an intentionally “stripped” production version of the site for the first month. Reason for this is to tweak SEO (Search Engine Optimization). We will update the site will less relevant content weekly or as it gets indexed and crawled by the webbots eg. homepage fancies, BLOG, etc. To ensure the index sees some regular updated content and peak it up the ranking in <3 months (there, some SEO secret for ya all). The core material & content (the important stuff!) is LIVE however; products, listings, pics, account sign-up, order, mail tracking, etc, we have it all. Finally!

Shop with confidence

Server security: NGINX + HTTP/2 + TLS1.2. Many in the industry will agree that getting a A+ grade at SSL Labs is a great challenge. Ensuring trusted server-vs-client sessions is paramount for me and I’ve proved just that by hitting that ceiling. SSL Labs is the tool of choice to identify whether ecommerce/merchants really deserve hosting personal data. When I shop online, I always run the vendor’s domain at SSL Labs and if the rating ranks below A I simply change shop.

The physical location of the server & database is at Google Cloud (CGE-USA) and its SSD hard drive is encrypted using third party’s. Meaning even if the hard drive falls into the wrong hands, nobody can gain access to the data stored on the server without 2 (two) sets of private keys + a 128bit encryption password. Nothing, absolutely nothing is hosted in China. Public ports include only http(80), htps(443), MTA(25). And that’s it, nothing more than what’s needed.

The server is firewalled (+IDS) and only accessible using Strong VPN/SSH, again, with its own set of keys.

And that’s how it’s done. Enjoy!

^ Test your sites: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest
Old 08-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #1313

VERY NICE. Gave me something to shoot for once we launch our website for our company ecommerce site. (not car related) Thanks for sharing, especially the SEO tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

You’ll find an intentionally “stripped” production version of the site for the first month. Reason for this is to tweak SEO (Search Engine Optimization). We will update the site will less relevant content weekly or as it gets indexed and crawled by the webbots eg. homepage fancies, BLOG, etc. To ensure the index sees some regular updated content and peak it up the ranking in <3 months (there, some SEO secret for ya all). The core material & content (the important stuff!) is LIVE however; products, listings, pics, account sign-up, order, mail tracking, etc, we have it all. Finally!

Shop with confidence

Server security: NGINX + HTTP/2 + TLS1.2. Many in the industry will agree that getting a A+ grade at SSL Labs is a great challenge. Ensuring trusted server-vs-client sessions is paramount for me and I’ve proved just that by hitting that ceiling. SSL Labs is the tool of choice to identify whether ecommerce/merchants really deserve hosting personal data. When I shop online, I always run the vendor’s domain at SSL Labs and if the rating ranks below A I simply change shop.

The physical location of the server & database is at Google Cloud (CGE-USA) and its SSD hard drive is encrypted using third party’s. Meaning even if the hard drive falls into the wrong hands, nobody can gain access to the data stored on the server without 2 (two) sets of private keys + a 128bit encryption password. Nothing, absolutely nothing is hosted in China. Public ports include only http(80), htps(443), MTA(25). And that’s it, nothing more than what’s needed.

The server is firewalled (+IDS) and only accessible using Strong VPN/SSH, again, with its own set of keys.

And that’s how it’s done. Enjoy!

^ Test your sites: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest
Old 08-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #1314

Those below are lurking on that same site. My advice, grab them while you can lollll Small qty, rare, never last very long

Full custom however, club/sport crest, scripts, requests welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
VERY NICE. Gave me something to shoot for once we launch our website for our company ecommerce site. (not car related) Thanks for sharing, especially the SEO tip.
Updating your images' ALT tags for a month is often just enough for the bots to pick up regular site updates (another million$ trick they don't tell you!). You want to trigger the engines' rank algorithm as much as you can, key to that is fresh content.

Without updates, the site just sits there really - AVOID during the first 3 months

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-01-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #1315

Quote:
I think we can work something out

I'll send you a pm after I get off work.
Just ordered the liumi's in g-metal!!! So excited! You and nine8six are a real inspiration!!!

Can I publicly beg for your help in finishing the deal and putting these together for my lovely, silver p-car?

Cheers mate!!

Matt
Nine9ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:26 AM   #1316

Thanks Matt, received! Nice choice of angel eyes with those GM bud Let's hope Charles is not all too busy lately.

Note to all who got a kit recently; thanks for the overload :/ Wasn't expecting that many orders but I'm guessing with all the delays that I've inflicted, that's the price to pay. Been dedicated for the last full 5 days doing those for you guys.

If only I'd be getting rich at doing those lollllll (I think after the carbide cutters, 380V machine-tool electricity, dyes, other hardware, and prep, shipping, I think I make a rude & healthy 70$ profit on one kit). So... selling many is the idea! Sold 16 kits to you guys (incl Matt's) since the site is up. Oh, I've checked again and I have parts for 140 more kits left here so please ORDER your kit now - just kill those 90's halogen

LASER SCRIPT:

All of those 16 kits will be etch with PORSCHE PERFORMANCE OPTICS on the bezel (w/ series name at the bottom). Rewind a few million posts in this thread if you want to see what it looks like. If you need anything else please get in touch - those goes under the laser this coming Tuesday morning and pack right after (final step!).
Old 08-08-2016, 04:56 AM   #1317

I cannot wait, the excitement is killing me hahah. Glad to hear about the script! I didn't see anywhere on the site to add that on so that's awesome you're doing it for all of them! Still waiting on my clear headlights to come in... Im starting to get the sick feeling I may have been screwed over by someone who was selling a used pair...

Wish me luck...
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000986s View Post
I cannot wait, the excitement is killing me hahah. Glad to hear about the script! I didn't see anywhere on the site to add that on so that's awesome you're doing it for all of them! Still waiting on my clear headlights to come in... Im starting to get the sick feeling I may have been screwed over by someone who was selling a used pair...

Wish me luck...
Did you buy that pair off of Ebay? From Canada?
Old 08-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #1319

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post
Did you buy that pair off of Ebay? From Canada?
Look at post #1300.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #1320

I had a wtb ad up on the parts for sale page and a guy contacted me via email. 550 for a used pair seemed like a solid deal and he had pics and everything. Made payment about a week and a half ago, he went MIA, then about a week ago he told me they shipped. I asked for a tracking number and haven't heard back since. Michael Newmann is his name from California

2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote