Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #301
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Hey Particle,

How do you get the corner triangles off?

The little tabs broke off when I tried to remove one.

Worst case scenario is I just have to epoxy the triangle in place without the tabs I suppose.

I also wonder if there is any aligning of the lights necessary after installing the Projectors?

Yes, some alignment will be necessary, but if your lights were aligned properly before the retrofit, it will be minimal.

To remove the corners, carefully pry the clips back just far enough to push the top of the trim piece out until the pins are clear of the headlight housing, then slide down
Unfortunately, the older they are, the more brittle they get. It doesn't hurt to hit the backside clips with a low temp hair dryer or heat gun for 10-15 seconds to make the plastic more pliable.

Last edited by particlewave; 03-01-2014 at 11:21 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 AM   #302

OK I may be a dim bulb ( pun intended ) so bear with me. Basically if you have standard halogen headlights to upgrade you can either purchase OEM Litronic or go aftermarket like these projectors correct ? And the ones in this thread are the same type of bulb ( xenon ) as the Litronics correct ? And the OEM Litronics and this projector style in this thread are for low beam only correct ? Are there clear lenses available that are not Litronic ? I'm trying to get the clear look at the most reasonable price. Car is a 2002 S. Based on this thread and the apparent quality that has gone into these it seems like a no brainer to go with these based on quality/price. What am I missing ? But if I can buy OEM Litronics used that are already in a clear lense for a decent price that may be more cost effective. My heads ready to explode trying to figure out something as simple as headlights !!!
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #303
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes, these projectors and litronics both use HID xenon bulbs. Unlike the litronic projectors, these units do function as both high and low beams. They have a cutoff shield that blocks half of the beam until you turn your high beams on, at which point a small solenoid in the projector pulls down the shield to expose the entire beam.

Did you see the pictures on the previous page? I think that even amber headlights look good after retrofitting.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #304

Garage
I bought a pair of used Clear, Halogens in good shape. One of the corners had broken tabs so I had to epoxy that triangle. I then sold my Amber OEM's to cover more than half of the cost of the Clears. I am still debating this projector DIY.

Here is some links to new halogen clears:
FOR PORSCHE: 98663113114, 986 631 131 14 - READY TO SHIP - (MAGNETI MARELLI HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY /LEFT, 2003)
Head Light Set - Clear Trim Halogen:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

Used litronics seem to go for between $1000 and $1500. The cheapest new that I have found are these from EuroMotorspeed:
New 97 04 Porsche Boxster Pair Litronic Headlights | eBay

My plan is/was to get a good set of used litronics and be done or find a either a set of used or new halogens and then convert. Now that I have the clears, I just have to decide whether or not to do the next step. I paid $650 for my used clears, so with this retrofit, I would be right around $1000 total, not bad. Lately, I just have not had the time to do any projects so I have not gotten around to it. I may just have to send them to Particle.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yes, these projectors and litronics both use HID xenon bulbs. Unlike the litronic projectors, these units do function as both high and low beams. They have a cutoff shield that blocks half of the beam until you turn your high beams on, at which point a small solenoid in the projector pulls down the shield to expose the entire beam.

Did you see the pictures on the previous page? I think that even amber headlights look good after retrofitting.

Yes I saw the pics they look very nice. My headlights are somewhat faded I'll have to see how well they clean up and go from there. Thanks
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #306
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:

AWESOME look!

Depending on the color of the car, I would say that our amber headlights are sexy and unique looking. Definately NO NEED to de-amber (tail lights are a whole different story )

Now, I exactly know, how I want my headlights to look. Just need someone to 3D-print those and get them chromefinished.

What do you think?

BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #307

Garage
Has anyone installed these without painting the inside of the housing? I'm thinking of just going w/ Gray projectors without the black paint, as my car is Seal Gray.

Also, what is the weight of each projector? Of the ballast?

thanks.
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #308

Quote:
Converting some amber headlights
As can be seen, blacked out with projectors negates the need for de-ambering. Darn sexy, IMO

De-amber what? These are hot!

Wow, this is really, really, nice Charles. Excellent work buddy. Van will be so happy.... and so his boxster!

I agree with you that those amber'ed headlights equipped with those projector looks quite fancy.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Hey Particle,

How do you get the corner triangles off?

The little tabs broke off when I tried to remove one.

Worst case scenario is I just have to epoxy the triangle in place without the tabs I suppose.

I also wonder if there is any aligning of the lights necessary after installing the Projectors?
Hi Ray, hope all is going fine there for you mate. Sorry to hear about the broken corner.

Re aiming your headlight, have a go at HOW TO: aim HID headlights and look at the various methods the guys use. The common 25' away from wall method is the one I use and recommend (flawless). This is all done using the Porsche headlight adj hex tool - nothing change there
Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
Has anyone installed these without painting the inside of the housing? I'm thinking of just going w/ Gray projectors without the black paint, as my car is Seal Gray.

Also, what is the weight of each projector? Of the ballast?

thanks.

Those are unpainted (stock) with the same bi-xenon projectors.

Weight is 290 grams for the whole assembly (3/4 pound?) (one side only).
Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #311
Boxster 1999

Garage
This pic just made my day. I was wondering how I could get these lights with a, still, classic look and I find none painted black, the headlights meet this requirements. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #312
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I've also just received the materials to experiment with painting the inner shrouds the same color as the car, so I'll post pictures of that when I can. I have another retrofit to do today
Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #313

Quote:
I've also just received the materials to experiment with painting the inner shrouds the same color as the car, so I'll post pictures of that when I can. I have another retrofit to do today
Are you are thinking of something in the line of?

Last edited by Nine8Six; 03-04-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #314

Garage
Particleweve
I thought about that with mine. Ocean Blue Mati.
Van
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #315
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Are you are thinking of something in the line of?

Yes! That's hot! Unfortunately, like we discussed, I'm not sure how well the paint will show through the diffused portion of the lens. I will find out soon enough, though...I bought a donor light on eBay to experiment with

I'll try some things and post pictures next week, I hope.

Last edited by particlewave; 03-06-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #316
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I finished a set for a 996 today

I cannot wait to see pictures of these installed on a 996!

Last edited by particlewave; 03-06-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #317
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
AWESOME look!

Depending on the color of the car, I would say that our amber headlights are sexy and unique looking. Definately NO NEED to de-amber (tail lights are a whole different story )

Now, I exactly know, how I want my headlights to look. Just need someone to 3D-print those and get them chromefinished.

What do you think?
I'm not sure...doesn't really flow right to me. It's hard to visualize, though.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #318
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Just showing off my devil eyes...ignore the garage mess, please. I just moved into this place a couple days ago
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #319

Today I picked up an extra set of OEM headlight housings just for this conversion. They came off a 2001 model and are in better shape than what's on my car . And the best part.........$100.00 for the pair !!! Yeah I stole these even tried to talk him down but he wouldn't budge. Now need to save up some cash to get these done.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:17 AM   #320
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
I'm not sure...doesn't really flow right to me. It's hard to visualize, though.
yeah, it is difficult.
My personal taste is to "Retro" the look of my "classic" Boxster...a Tribute to the old school 550/356/911 look, with decent (not too tacky ) chrome trims/applications...to give it even more soul

Back (installed):

Side (installed):

18" silver spokes Fuchsfelgen will follow in spring together with
original Aerokit I side skirts (ready to be installed)

Front: Just need to have something up front to keep the balance (photoshoped)...front lights would look fantastic in seal gray, but with eyeliner