Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #1241

Thanks F18febe i appreciate your answer.

Carlitos

c_maldonado2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #1242

Exclamation

F18febe, does the Pelican package include the clear corner lenses

and how did go on doing the LED DR1 was this through like an LED light strip
that was cut to fit or do they come custom.

carlitos
Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #1243

Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_maldonado2001 View Post
F18febe, does the Pelican package include the clear corner lenses

and how did go on doing the LED DR1 was this through like an LED light strip
that was cut to fit or do they come custom.

carlitos
The project is a headlight retrofit, so I used the housings of my original headlights. What you get from Pelican Parts are new HID GT3 projectors. You need to remove your headlights from your car, if you want to use your current headlights which you may not want to because they still have the amber lenses, and open them up to remove the halogen bulbs. Once the halogen bulbs are out, and you removed the burnt lenses, you insert the projectors and paint the interior parts if you want to, and reassemble. It is a lengthy project, but once complete it makes a big difference and updates the look of the front end.

The Daytime Running Lights that I installed are not custom to the Boxster. They install in the grill on your bumper. Installation was a snap if you are able to splice a couple of wires. Instructions were very clear.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:13 AM   #1244

Thumbs up

I would like to do mine to end up like the ones shown below. i will hunt around for that shroud. Looks very nice. I would like to also change that orange color to all clear. so i will hunt around for that too. My understanding is that Pelican is out of these parts.

Thanks alot for your help. I think i can take on the challenge. Just alot of reading to do to get it right from the get go. Once the drilling begins on the OEM headlights there is no going back.

Thanks again,

Carlitos
Attached Images

Last edited by c_maldonado2001; 05-13-2016 at 04:18 AM. Reason: forgot picture
Old 05-14-2016, 02:05 AM   #1245

Hi. Is there anyone that knows if pelican wil get the gt projectors in their webshop again? I have watched this tred for a while and want to install the Luminoso series. Unfortunately pelican does not hawe them now, and as they have written here earlier they "hope to" fill Stock again. It would be nice to know if it's still posible to get them otherwise i have to start looking for other possibilities.

Carl
RedBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #1246

Anybody know were i can get these LED headlight strips.

Looked all over for them.

Would i be able to fit those LED strip lights in my headlight that has two seperate amber lenses.

It seem that the headlight that uses this led strip does not have the headlight divided with two bottom
lenses. it's all like one piece. not sure
Attached Images

Last edited by c_maldonado2001; 05-19-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_maldonado2001 View Post
Anybody know were i can get these LED headlight strips.

Looked all over for them.

Would i be able to fit those LED strip lights in my headlight that has two seperate amber lenses.

It seem that the headlight that uses this led strip does not have the headlight divided with two bottom
lenses. it's all like one piece. not sure
Taste aside, you must not have been looking very hard. Those headlights all over eBay (from $2000-3000 US) and the general consensus is that they're garbage and your best bet is to avoid them.
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:19 AM   #1248

Thanks for heads up thatguychad but i wanting
to retrofit my original old headlights to look like the ones shown there
not replace them.

Just wondering if the LED can and headlight cover can be purchase seperately
to make that kind of continuous look of one piece cover

if not, would i be able to put LED with that V-shape in my old headlights
when i do my retrofit, shrouds, ballast, etc
Old 05-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #1249

Carlitos, I own those aftermarket headlights with the LEDs, they look amazing but they have a lot of fitment issues and the first generations had LEDs that died rather quickly, the UV protection peeled too. As much as I like the look, I don't think they're worth $1000.
(PS: I PM'd you)
Old 05-20-2016, 04:57 AM   #1250

Wow, amazing batshapedheart. So happy for this forum.

One can be spending big bucks without knowing to find out later the downside.

i've been reading the Porsche 986 & 996 Headlights Bi-xenon HID conversion over and over. and i think i got the general idea of what needs to be done.

im just overwhelmed of the choices that one has on how to be creative on the
headlight. My Boxster is parked in garage so i can spend any time needed to get it done with no rush.

Im going to try to make out of my headlights the closest i can get to look like yours without spending an arm and a leg.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #1251

Hi all, anyone know if there is a new batch coming through or is gunmetal the choice from here out? I like the idea of red on my black S. Has anyone with a black boxster put the red projectors on yet that could share a pic?
emeraldcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #1252

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcity View Post
Hi all, anyone know if there is a new batch coming through or is gunmetal the choice from here out? I like the idea of red on my black S. Has anyone with a black boxster put the red projectors on yet that could share a pic?
It'd sure be nice if the GT Projectors would show up in a search for GT projector on Pelicanparts.com...or if they showed up in the headlight conversion category. I've only found the gunmetal Vivos and they show in stock. I want to get a set of Turismos in gunmetal.
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #1253

So are these gunmetal VIVO Series GT Projector Headlight Retrofits the only decent update option right now?

My headlights are looking a little dated. Rest of the car looks great. Haven't really been keeping up on things on the forum.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #1254

Can someone who has their lights taken apart please measure the diameter of the reflector housing / "Bowl"?

I'm thinking of doing a retrofit using 7 inch round Universal LED lights that they make for motorcycles and jeeps. There's also 5.75" round.

Has anyone done a stacked double projector like the new 991? Or offset stacked like the Carrera GT?
Firstorbit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:30 AM   #1255
Tyler

Garage
I have mine open right now (but I'm at work). I'm putting in 3" 'Porsche 4 LED' that are 3" round. Don't do it. Stick with what they are selling on this thread. I'm having to modify my reflector bowl and it is quite painful. 7" round sounds huge. I spent 4 hours yesterday with a dremel reshaping the reflector bowl to get one retrofit to fit.

The problem is the bowl is concave, and when you go to put a large diameter retrofit in there, the sides of the bowl keep the retrofit from sliding all the way in. Then, the threaded back of the retrofit won't make it through the back of the housing.

I have pictures, I can probably load them up later.
redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #1256

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcity View Post
I Have the red on my black 02S and they look fantastic! For some reason I can no longer post pictures from my phone to this forum, not sure what that's all about, but pm me an email or phone and I will send or text you some shots. I also blacked out my tail lights and the results are stunning.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #1257

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
I Have the red on my black 02S and they look fantastic! For some reason I can no longer post pictures from my phone to this forum, not sure what that's all about, but pm me an email or phone and I will send or text you some shots. I also blacked out my tail lights and the results are stunning.
The forum changed something, I can't post pics from my iPad anymore as well, frustrating.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #1258
Tyler

Garage

FirstOrbit84 -

Here's an in-process pic of my headlights. The lens is off, but you can see the new projector lens and shroud. The diameter of the shroud is so big, and the reflector bowl is not large enough diameter to accommodate the large diameter of the shroud.

Because of this, I had to cut/modify the reflector bowl, millimeter at a time. I got it in there, but because I hacked up the reflector bowl I ended up painting it black. I was going to leave it unpainted originally.

This is as far as I got last Sunday. More excitement this weekend.
redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #1259

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbox986 View Post

FirstOrbit84 -

Here's an in-process pic of my headlights. The lens is off, but you can see the new projector lens and shroud. The diameter of the shroud is so big, and the reflector bowl is not large enough diameter to accommodate the large diameter of the shroud.

Because of this, I had to cut/modify the reflector bowl, millimeter at a time. I got it in there, but because I hacked up the reflector bowl I ended up painting it black. I was going to leave it unpainted originally.

This is as far as I got last Sunday. More excitement this weekend.
Wow. Those look amazing! Thanks for the replies and sharing pics.

Do you mind getting a measurement of the bowl diameter?

What's the outside diameter of your projector shrouds?

For clarification, here's what I'm thinking of dropping in:

They're 7" in diameter, and you can buy mounting rings, too.

They come in chrome too:

I'll have to do some dremeling, but the backs don't seem that deep, and since they're LED, they don't have to thread through like the HID projectors, so I think they may fit if the bowl is close to 7".

They also come in 5.75".

How is the bowl attached to the housing?
Firstorbit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #1260

Hope this helps

Null is offline   Reply With Quote