Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Ummmmm........all I was asking about was two headlight gaskets what's with the commentary ????? And why would I have passed on your headlights they are well made and thought out. Oh well I guess I don't get the joke or intent. Thanks for your time.
Rick – Jake have extensively modified your car recently. You know how proud he is of his work and I am 110% certain he wouldn’t appreciate you staring modifying it without his acknowledgment (regardless of the mod, mechanical, electrical, small, big, doesn’t matter). Please check with him before cracking with the installation of additional ‘non-porsche’ equipment e.g. whether this could affect your/his work warranty.

It’s your car and you do what you want with it at the end of the day. But I have a feeling that Jake would appreciate that you do nothing to it (additional) until your borrowed 3.4 ecu, upcoming tuning, and electronic is settled and are signed-off.

My headlights are the best-in-the-world Rick loll Yes. Public knowledge; two of the Porsche Service Center mechanics here in Shanghai have my headlights on their 996s and not shy to occasionally refer other individuals to me which I’m very happy to service myself. However you know as much as I do that other experts may not always share the same visions about non-porsche equipment.

So again. Do nothing with your headlights until Jake tells you go (my advice).

Ps: my indy refused to install an $160 aftermarket 80amp Bosch battery in my car today, one that I found on sale. He demands $420 for his “Porsche branded” battery or walk away from my shop he told me :/ Porsche love. Nothing wrong with that, I’m not complaining here (I actually bought his overpriced battery at the end to make him happy again lolll)

Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Rick – Jake have extensively modified your car recently. You know how proud he is of his work and I am 110% certain he wouldn’t appreciate you staring modifying it without his acknowledgment (regardless of the mod, mechanical, electrical, small, big, doesn’t matter). Please check with him before cracking with the installation of additional ‘non-porsche’ equipment e.g. whether this could affect your/his work warranty.

It’s your car and you do what you want with it at the end of the day. But I have a feeling that Jake would appreciate that you do nothing to it (additional) until your borrowed 3.4 ecu, upcoming tuning, and electronic is settled and are signed-off.

My headlights are the best-in-the-world Rick loll Yes. Public knowledge; two of the Porsche Service Center mechanics here in Shanghai have my headlights on their 996s and not shy to occasionally refer other individuals to me which I’m very happy to service myself. However you know as much as I do that other experts may not always share the same visions about non-porsche equipment.

So again. Do nothing with your headlights until Jake tells you go (my advice).

Ps: my indy refused to install an $160 aftermarket 80amp Bosch battery in my car today, one that I found on sale. He demands $420 for his “Porsche branded” battery or walk away from my shop he told me :/ Porsche love. Nothing wrong with that, I’m not complaining here (I actually bought his overpriced battery at the end to make him happy again lolll)
Thanks for the clarification on your comments and let me know if/when you have headlight gaskets available. I do happen to agree your headlights are the best and I haven't installed them yet They sure do look good on my workbench
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #1163
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Are these the same headlights that I built for you?
I don't even remember what they look like
Old 01-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #1164

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Thanks for the clarification on your comments and let me know if/when you have headlight gaskets available. I do happen to agree your headlights are the best and I haven't installed them yet They sure do look good on my workbench
You can decode my frenchglish québecois writing. I'm actually also writing Chinese Rick (aprox 500 characters) which is often sufficient to leave a written note for the Ayi (maid). Apologies if the previous msg didn't came in obvious mate

I'll give it my best shot RE the seals Rick, can't promise. Haven't seen this chap for a while and I think I'm the one who went off radar when he sent out his offer (500pairs = 1,000 pcs) $1 each he wanted me to pay upfront $1,000 :/ We'll see, worth checking... I'll ring him on Monday (fingers crossed)
Old 01-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Are these the same headlights that I built for you?
I don't even remember what they look like
Haha yes they are ! I have been waiting to install them until I had new gaskets. The guy I was working with that was making molds to make these kept slipping the date. Then he stopped all communication. Then I sent my car to Jake and voila over a year has passed Once I get them installed I'll post some pics to refresh your memory
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #1166

Group buy and sell the extras on eBay. I'm in for $20 worth
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Group buy and sell the extras on eBay. I'm in for $20 worth
Brilliant idea I agree there Steve. Problem is…(personally)I’ve never been a huge fan of selling on eBay. Did that before (2005~2008) selling few of the ‘less-expansive’ racing motorcycle parts we manufacture here and was picking customers from countries I’ve literally never heard of lollll PayPal claims, non-functional tracking numbers, man… can’t remember what else but it wasn’t all good fun AT ALL if memory serves well.

If anyone is interested in selling those rubbers, let’s say $20 per rubber, $40 for the kit (L&R). By all mean do get in contact by PM and I’ll get you a box full of those. Min order 500 pairs, potential return of $20,000 (geez). Perfect for a teenager who has an extra hour every day and who don’t mind shipping to countries like Tantulativ, Grenoloop, Katabarnac, etc.

My price is your price ($1) … just trying to help the crowd the best I can here. PM if interested
Old 01-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #1168

Porsche Carrera 996 – demo car

Not sure if this is the best avenue to advertise this but since there are a few of our good friends here who owns 996s, guess we can bypass the boxster only rule a bit

Got the Carrera finalized and fitted with the same projectors (scroll a few pages back, you'll know what I mean). Has the same MKI headlight as the boxster car. Meant as a demo car if anyone of you 911 owners fancy seeing what your car could look like with a funky wrap or dark purple metallic. Just let me know what projector(s) you aim at and I'll revert back with visuals. Got a few style of wheels that goes with it also (Carrera 18”, Twist, BBS, and BC). Wheels also fit our Boxster model car also no worries lollll

Do get in touch if anyone needs visuals on that 911

GTCollection.com - Carrera 996

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-23-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #1169

I ordered this: GT-VIVO-BLK VIVO Series GT Projector Headlight Retrofit Kit, Black, from Pelican last week and they canceled because they could not get an ETA. Can you please advise how and when I can purchase the kit? Thanks!
jklaspok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklaspok View Post
I ordered this: GT-VIVO-BLK VIVO Series GT Projector Headlight Retrofit Kit, Black, from Pelican last week and they canceled because they could not get an ETA. Can you please advise how and when I can purchase the kit? Thanks!
Pelican Parts are not to be blamed in any ways. My (poor) organizational skills are.

I've just recently finished putting up a pretty high tech CNC shop together so to be able to meet and maintain deliveries and supplies. Fully dedicated to the products I manufacture and 100% owned by myself this time (no more queuing!).

I have already started production on those kits. Received 700kg of raw aluminum this last Wed and have been cutting stocks since the last two days

(at the shop right now, staring and waiting for the machinery to do their things, 02:46am!)

Aiming at getting the kits assembled and packed right at the end of February so Pelican can have them somewhere beginning of March (I'd say if all goes well, no earthquakes, stocks are replenished on March 15th certain).

Sincere apologies for the lack of (everything really). Improving improving tho...

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-28-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #1171

Garage
Nine8six - I have been in awe of how you developed these and waiting to order a set of these projectors since October when I purchased my car. I plan to send these to Particlewave for the install as he seems to the resident expert on the install.

Which style of your projectors would you recommend for an arctic silver 01 986S? I plan to have the reflectors painted black as well. I really like the red painted projectors with the black painted reflectors, however I dont see that you can order any different color variation then the black or gunmetal colors.

Also, the wheel caps look amazing as well. How would I order a set of these? I have the 18in wheel option that is offered with the sport package. Would the silver/gunmetal color work well with my wheels or I was also thinking the red would look really nice since the calipers are red. I like the rendering you show with the red projectors/black painted reflectors with red wheel caps. This combo looks very sporty and close to the look of the Carrera GT.

thanks for any insight
Old 01-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Pelican Parts are not to be blamed in any ways. My (poor) organizational skills are.

I've just recently finished putting up a pretty high tech CNC shop together so to be able to meet and maintain deliveries and supplies. Fully dedicated to the products I manufacture and 100% owned by myself this time (no more queuing!).

I have already started production on those kits. Received 700kg of raw aluminum this last Wed and have been cutting stocks since the last two days

(at the shop right now, staring and waiting for the machinery to do their things, 02:46am!)

Aiming at getting the kits assembled and packed right at the end of February so Pelican can have them somewhere beginning of March (I'd say if all goes well, no earthquakes, stocks are replenished on March 15th certain).

Sincere apologies for the lack of (everything really). Improving improving tho...

It is so rad to hear your getting to set up right.
Congrats, and keep up the good work.

Lovely work
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassmatt72 View Post
It is so rad to hear your getting to set up right.
Congrats, and keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BOXYS View Post
..... thanks for any insight
Thanks, and yes Particlewave installed more than an few of those projectors so I think it’s safe to say that you are in pretty good hands with him!

Given the hints you’ve provided, I must propose the Turismo Series! Classic, and as close as it gets to the unique front-end look of the CGT. In this rendering I’ve intentionally blown up the light on the front-end to spare you from an heart attack when you wake up the next morning (e.g. as red as it will get). Mind you, it does look quite nice(er) in the shades and as you’ve guessed, mental during the evening – no doubts.

Giving you a funky Tokyo night shot here with full reflections as I did to Dwight’s would be ‘sale tactics’ more than a realistic perception of what it could look like Hope we’re all on the same planet here, gents!

Leave this with you. Safest, if you ask, is of course all gunmetal. Let me know if you need to see something different, happy to help (equally helps others in fact)

GTCollection.com - Red Turismo Series - Artic Silver
Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #1174
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
That looks great Fred!! You are getting really good at the Photoshop mate. Um yeah the lights and caps look great too
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
That looks great Fred!! You are getting really good at the Photoshop mate. Um yeah the lights and caps look great too
Reminds me... one of my favorite. How can I forget your car's pic man
(hope you don't mind)

^ real, no no rendering
Old 01-30-2016, 05:00 AM   #1176

Wallpapers of the week!

Couldn't resist to throw in that Artic Silver with the HDR environments. Adv shadows, global illuminations and caustics set to ON. Certainly best viewed full HD (1080), just click on the pic and this will shoot you over to Flickr where you can dwload the 1980*1080 version.

ps. not a sale pitch lolll I've already spoke with our friend 01BOXYS I do these for myself to practice while I have the office's mobile workstation here. Just uploading the ones (I think) are cool looking.

Besides... threads needs visuals, everyone loves visuals, so expect more hehehe

GTCollection.com - Red Turismo Series - Artic Silver studio

GTCollection.com - Red Turismo Series - Artic Silver night

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-30-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #1177

The Season's Wallpaper (Glacier white, Vivo Series, gunmetal)

GTCollection.com - Vivo Series - Glacier white
Old 01-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #1178
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
How about a Arctic silver car with Luminoso in gun metal shot.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #1179

The next trick is to slide another smaller diameter projector in there and redo the deflector cup to take it....and then electrical? I see lots of room there!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
How about a Arctic silver car with Luminoso in gun metal shot.
Ah! yes, the Luminoso Series. Certainly the hottest kit in town but bloody difficult to machine :/ Hence their slightly higher price tag (+15%)

GTCollection.com - Luminoso Series - Iguana Green

GTCollection.com - Luminoso Series - Artic Silver

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-30-2016 at 10:10 PM.