Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
They are on all the time ( wired to parking lights). You could wire them to the fogs? Check with Fred
For god's sake, I've never thought of that. Wired onto the fogs (absolutely brilliant)

(I had that question more than once, cool solution for those who don't necessarily use the fogs and have colored angel eyes)

You are a brilliant chap Martin, THANKS so much for the idea LOL

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-21-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #842

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
Are angel eyes only visible when operating as running lights? If I never drive in that mode could I go with red or would they be visible ticket getters even with headlights on?

Sorry. I scrolled back a bunch of pages and found my answer. Red it is!
The red AEs aren't that super red when the main HID is turned on, barely see them. When used standalone on the parking light however, well, they are red. Very very red

Scary stuff in fact... evil lookin, scares young kids and all
Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #843

Imo those are sexy AEs. Love that pic for some reason... lookin ruff without lenses!

(stolen from somewhere on the internet, hope the owner don't mind lol)

Old 02-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #844

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
For god's sake, I've never thought of that. Wired onto the fogs (absolutely brilliant)

(I had that question more than once, cool solution for those who don't necessarily use the fogs and have colored angel eyes)

Thanks Fred!

And thank you for the ability of turning night into day!

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #845

haha was about to ask, they do look good but do they actually work at least?! Last time I've visited B.C it wasn't the most lit up place... mostly pitch black on these roads loll Chg your xenon every two years or similar and you should be laughing there

Watch for dears man, they won't react the same as they do with poor halogen I'm only guessing. Blind jumpers :/ Just slow down when you cross one

Your lenses could do with a buffing. When they flood like that (could be the cam also dunno) its because they have a few to many micro scratches, possibly just oxidized a tad. Nothing that can't be fixed with a good arm and some plastX (20min each)

Your silver box car look sick. Especially love the AEs... half moon style. Nice headlight work
Old 02-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #846

The driver side seems like there is a foggy film on the inside but I will try buff them today, what kind of sealant should I use with the plastix
Old 02-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

Might there be a way to make the Angel eyes turn on with the first clockwise click on the headlights switch? Right now, that seems to turn the lights on half power and then the second click is lights fully on. As the kit is wired normal, what happens to the projectors when the light switch is only on the first click?

Swaff
swaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #848

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaff View Post
Might there be a way to make the Angel eyes turn on with the first clockwise click on the headlights switch? Right now, that seems to turn the lights on half power and then the second click is lights fully on. As the kit is wired normal, what happens to the projectors when the light switch is only on the first click?

Swaff
keep in mind I have taken out my DLR's

off position - no lights
parking lights - Angle eyes
headlights - projectors and angle eyes
highbeam - turns night to day

it would be cool to wire the angle eyes into the turn signal circuit ( turn right - the right angle eye lights up ) would be hard to see at night though but would be sweet none the less
Old 02-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #849

I'm in the very early stages of the project of making the angel eyes "breath" when the car is locked...very early stages...looking at code now

I think it would be neat to have this when you go out and lock the car with the fob
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #850
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The angel eyes are normally powered by the parking light circuit, so are on anytime the headlight switch is in any position other than off or fogs only.

In the headlights that I build, it is common practice to put the angel eyes on a small relay unless otherwise noted by the customer. The relay is powered by the main beam so that the angel eyes are on when the parking lights are on, but shut off when the main beams are on.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:35 AM   #851
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Martin, I have done amber angel eye/turn signals for someone. The angel eyes just worked as supplementary turn signals to the OEM bulbs. They were shut off by a small relay when the headlights were on.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #852

Let there be light
Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #853

Ok, just placed my order. Black shroud turismo with red angel eyes and 5000k bulbs. Can hardly wait!
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #854

Garage
Order finally placed. I received a set of burnt headlights from Ebay, they'll go perfect with Fred's projector.

Fred, I think I read somewhere that you'll be in Montreal early March... Maybe you'll drop the projectors yourself?
'04 Convertible top with glass window
herve_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:35 AM   #855
99 Boxster Zenith Blue Me

I'm a new Owner ready to buy Projectors

Morning Nine8Six and ParticleWave
Just purchased my 99 986 with heavily burned internal lenses. Actually has 2 different color temp lamps and prob higher wattage than stock 35. First Mod after returns from shop for valve cover gaskets and IMS, etc will be your projector set up. Setting up my paypal account to move forward with purchase. The thread is super long and has taken me about 3hrs to figure out what all is going on. I think have a handle and possibly blue anodized with blue halos is a good option for my zenith blue 986. Do you have a website for ordering? Or what might I need to let you know in order to place an order? Will I need any custom shrouds or additional gear besides my stock headlight assemblies? Thanks in advance and a really great job creating a terrific product. Thanks
JeffBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #856

The ultimate bi-xenon headlight retrofit kit for Sport & Super cars

I would buy a sanding attachment for your drill ( like Fred supplies) permatex silicone sealant, and something to drill a 3/4 - 1" hole
Old 02-25-2015, 07:46 AM   #857

You can buy plugs like described in the instructions, or just use the ones that come with the kit like I did
Old 02-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #858

http://www.gtprojectors.com/downloads/Porsche_986_996_Headlight_Retrofit_Instructions.pd f

Bump
Old 02-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #859

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
Ok, just placed my order. Black shroud turismo with red angel eyes and 5000k bulbs. Can hardly wait!
Chris - got it this morning! red it will be... can't wait to see those finished! Those red AE look pretty crazy on the table I can only imagine what they look on the car Pics when done mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by herve_g View Post
Fred, I think I read somewhere that you'll be in Montreal early March... Maybe you'll drop the projectors yourself?
Salut Herve! Nah as much as I anticipated, I can't run away in March but will 100% for sure end of July. My wife is going in for the whole 3rd week of March if you don't mind dropping by Papineau/Maisonneuve street for pick-up. She was a member of the China Olympic/National Swimming Team 12 years ago and haven't changed a tad... can I trust you?! I'd much rather shipping if you don't mind LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBorn View Post
Morning Nine8Six and ParticleWave
Just purchased my 99 986 with heavily burned internal lenses. Actually has 2 different color temp lamps and prob higher wattage than stock 35. First Mod after returns from shop for valve cover gaskets and IMS, etc will be your projector set up. Setting up my paypal account to move forward with purchase. The thread is super long and has taken me about 3hrs to figure out what all is going on. I think have a handle and possibly blue anodized with blue halos is a good option for my zenith blue 986. Do you have a website for ordering? Or what might I need to let you know in order to place an order? Will I need any custom shrouds or additional gear besides my stock headlight assemblies? Thanks in advance and a really great job creating a terrific product. Thanks
Hey Jeff - Martin is spot on and got you covered. If you have any other questions get in touch anytime. For info the kit is pretty standard-fit for the 986, all that needs custom selection from you is colors really. Apologies for the long thread and scattered info.... not entirely my fault loll Congrats on your new 986 roadster btw
Old 02-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #860

Going quiet mode - BUSY!!!

Just a quick note that all of the orders I've received from you good fellas is being taken care at highest level. 3 weeks waiting period now so if any of you guys think of grabbing a set, think about the lead time (forget what the website says... i.e 5-7day turnover). That's a scam now lollll Temporarily anyway (I'm unusually overloaded atm)

We got 48hrs left before this shuts down Fancy and creative laser work accepted!

^ On the workbench atm. Some Blue w/blue AE, Orange w/amber AE, Black w/amber, Corvette kit for Chris, I pass 7 other kits lollll... Some of you may recognize their kit - I'm aiming to ship those to you guys this coming weekend (yummy stuff comin your way)

Cabintrophobic - awful weather here too... I need a topless drive bad lolll