Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2018, 06:13 AM   #1
Who's askin'?

Best Video & Data-Logging setup?

Hey y'all:
what's everyone's favorite setup for capturing track video? I've seen many videos recently with some "fun" data logging functions as well.

This is for fun. I'm not racing, (I have to keep telling myself I'm not gonna go there), just some track days here and there. I've no interest in investing a ton of money on this setup.... just something fun and easy that'll allow me to share.

Opinions?

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:27 AM   #2

Cheapest and easiest? Harry's Lap Timer for your phone. After that it's about buying a full system that integrates on board info from your OBD port as well as a camera.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
Cheapest and easiest? Harry's Lap Timer for your phone. After that it's about buying a full system that integrates on board info from your OBD port as well as a camera.
Harry’s Lap Timer can connect with Bluetooth, or wireless to some fairly inexpensive OBD, GPS and video devices if you want to increase its functionality as well. I use it with a Bluetooth ODB port I picked up for under $100, a low cost GPS that uses 3 satellites and feeds location 10 times per second. I have 4 Go Pro camera’s, but unfortunately (because of Go Pro’s software) only 1 can communicate with my phone at a time, so I use a Go Pro remote to control them.
Merlotsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

Harry's Lap Timer
Harry's Lap Timer (HLT) is a quick and easy way to get started. If you are just using the 1 Hz GPS in the phone, the speed and accelerometer data overlay is mostly useless, since HLT uses the GPS data refresh rate to capture the other data. That's why when you watch some videos with HLT the speed seems to zoom up and down and the track outline is very jaggedy. Paired with an external GPS at 10 or even 5 Hz (I use 5) speed is updated 5 times per second, the track map is cleaner, and the accel data is sampled 5 times per second. Here is a video with a 5 Hz GPS (QStarz 818XT). Cost around $100 plus the cost of the HLT app.

https://youtu.be/dENtnhektPU

HLT can also use a bluetooth dongle and get OBD information, but in my experience the refresh rate is awful on pre-can cars and it is useless (edit: refresh rate is poor when using HLT, as you can see below on the RCP and AIM sections, the refresh rate is just fine):

https://youtu.be/kIeSeVtGrlY

Right now HLT is broken for me an several others that use an external GPS, when using the external GPS we don't get any accelerometer data captured. Harry is working on a new version of HLT with a different sensor architecture that shouldl resolve these issues, and make OBD and other sensor data more responsive, and not synced to the GPS update rate.

RaceCapture/Track

Here is a video with the RaceCapture/Track and a Mobius action camera, and put together with Dashware. I am running with a 10 Hz GPS rate, and also capturing throttle position and RPM.

https://youtu.be/nwHvmx52RJY

https://youtu.be/KL8cdRNjqBQ

I really like the responsive predictive lap timer and the delta view with this setup.
Cost:
AIM Solo
A friend of mine loaned me his AIM solo DL recently, and you can use that combined with video rendering software such as dashware to make videos.

https://youtu.be/205Eng-PzLY

Cost: $$$ The AIM Solo plus camera(s)

Apex PRO
The Apex Pro now has data export capability (with iOS app, Android coming soon)

https://youtu.be/9a-uqVjly2Q

Cost: $449 + camera(s)

Which one do I like?

I like them all for different reasons.
  • HLT is simple to use when working, and I can review my videos, with data overlay, between session. However it is currently in a state where I can't use my external GPS and get good accel data, so it is useless for me right now
  • RaceCapture/Track - I really like the predictive lap timer and the delta, and now that I have made a dashware profile, it is very easy for me to make my videos, and easy to sync the data with the video if the phone running the RCP app is in view of the camera.
  • AIM Solo - very easy to use, since I have the DL and it is connected to the car via the OBD port, it just comes on when I start the car, I don't need to do anything. The videos are very easy to sync the video with the data. It also has powerful analytic software but I don't use it (don't know how ) It has a predictive lap time but it doesn't update as rapidly as the RCP predictive timer. I heard the new solo 2 has a more responsive predictive lap timer. The AIM solo also seems to be able to read the TPS and RPM just a little faster than the RCP/Track, or else they apply some smoothing to the captured data and so it looks like they capture it more times per second.
  • Apex Pro - I usually run the device in standalone mode, but if it was the only thing I had, and I had an iPhone, I would run the app too. It has post session analysis features built-in, but doesn't record video.

Note that all of these require an external camera except HLT - I think HLT plus an external GPS is a great combo to start with (when it works....)
  • Right now my favorite combo is the AIM Solo + Mobius cameras + Apex Pro in freestyle mode is what I use now.
  • If I didn't have the AIM (or once I have to give it back) I'll go back to the RCP/Track + app as I really like that predictive lap timer. But right now the AIM Solo wins out because it is easier to use.
  • For getting started - HLT + external GPS was a good combo that I used for several years before moving up.

Even just a GoPro style recording with no data is good as you can see what you're doing and review after the fact. And a lot of cameras these days have built in GPS and provide some overlay, like the GitUp G3 Duo or the Roadhawk.

Video editing software
I use Techsmith Camtasia to make my videos and do the captions and other overlays. it comes with a fully functional 30 day trial so it's easy to check out.

I also use AvidEmux for some simple video editing like cropping or combining raw video - it's free.

Last edited by steved0x; 05-24-2018 at 06:03 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:17 AM   #5

IMHO the Racelogic VBox HD2 is the best system available. Very flexible and easy to use, overlays data on the video as it is being recorded, and great analysis software.
MJP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP911 View Post
IMHO the Racelogic VBox HD2 is the best system available. Very flexible and easy to use, overlays data on the video as it is being recorded, and great analysis software.
The original post included the following.......

" I've no interest in investing a ton of money on this setup.... just something fun and easy that'll allow me to share. "

What part of the racelogic system is NOT a ton of money?
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #7

Garage
Two or more of the regions I run with in the north east will not let you run a smart-phone suction cupped in the car, and no suction device in or outside the car. Check with your regions rules. These 2 require Bolted mounts for the device and a lanyard as a secondary restraint. This really limits what you can use and eliminates using a Smart-phone, since there is no method to hard mount (bolt) them. That will limit you to a GoPro with some data device $400-$1000, a Garmin Virb XE auto racing bundle $499, Aim smarty cam and ODBII bridge $699- $1299. Or one of the other options already mentioned, but without the use of a smart-phone your option shrink fast and the cost goes up. Unfortunately these rule are getting more widely used since several phones have slipped out of their holders and hit instructors bounce around the floor of a car, etc. use your imagination.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Who's askin'?

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. Especially Steve; that's a very exhaustive and helpful analysis.

This gave me a ton to consider. I'll keep you posted on what I end up with.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #9

I use track addict, that has video capability and its iphone compatible. I don't use it on the track but it has free drive mode which is fun to use, got me in trouble with the wife she saw my over 200Kmh run to work. Was a holiday no traffic but that is a jail time offense here.

Last edited by Cunningr; 05-24-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #10

i use the cms app by cantrell with an external gps by bad elf.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #11
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
i use the cms app by cantrell with an external gps by bad elf.
Looks like that's IOS only?
Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #12

not sure. i run it on an old iphone 4s with just enough memory for four sessions.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #13

Another option is RaceChrono Pro.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:28 AM   #14

The Garmin VIRB action cams have built in GPS and can log data from Bluetooth OBD readers. Their video editing software is easy to use and does nice data overlays. I like mine.
roundel325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #15
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
Another option is RaceChrono Pro.
Are you using this?
Can you confirm that it works "out of the box" without the addition of other hardware? (I realize that some features will be better with external accessories). I mean, I can download the app, mount the phone to the windscreen and press "go", and it'll record video and data, that I can overlay and export?
Old 05-25-2018, 06:13 AM   #16
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel325 View Post
The Garmin VIRB action cams have built in GPS and can log data from Bluetooth OBD readers. Their video editing software is easy to use and does nice data overlays. I like mine.
But it looks like no lap-timing features?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #17

Partially correct. It does do automatic lap timing overlays in post, but there is no predictive lap timing or real time in car feedback.
roundel325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #18
Who's askin'?

Folks, thanks for all of your help. I've decided to go with HLT. This decision was based primarily on what seems to be the best ongoing development of the app, and its ease in integrating multiple accessories (expandability).

Now a related question:
What phone mount are y'all using for track or autox use?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Now a related question:
What phone mount are y'all using for track or autox use?
I'm using this:

Ram Mount Twist Lock Suction Cup Mount with Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder, Black, RAM-B-166-UN7U

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066BWMNU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We actually have 3 of them in the family, we also use for trip navigation, etc...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Are you using this?
Can you confirm that it works "out of the box" without the addition of other hardware? (I realize that some features will be better with external accessories). I mean, I can download the app, mount the phone to the windscreen and press "go", and it'll record video and data, that I can overlay and export?
Yes, it does work out of the box as long as you go with "RaceChrono Pro".

I use RaceChrono on an Android phone (a Google Nexus 6P) with an external 10Hz GPS (Garmin GLO) for more accurate logging and an OBDLink LX for additional data. I love it.