Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #21

When you do something dumb that costs your insurance company money, I would guess they may want to find a way to get that money back. Like maybe forcing you to sue somebody that could be construed to be at fault.

.Jack. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #22
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Jack. View Post
When you do something dumb that costs your insurance company money, I would guess they may want to find a way to get that money back. Like maybe forcing you to sue somebody that could be construed to be at fault.
O let's not kid ourselves: no insurance would cover this....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
My friend, a sand bag to a motorcycle is NOT the equivalent of a telephone pole to a car.
As a professional myself, I'd tell you (as many others already have) that Kim was crashing with or without that sand bag. And I can tell you many, many people (including myself) have hit much, much worse on a run out, without crashing.

Could we say that the sandbag contributed to the severity of the accident? Quite possibly. Maybe probably. But it certainly did not cause the accident. Not even a remote stretch of the imagination could make it so. The cause of the accident is quite clearly Mr Kim running off the race track in a manner that was consistent with a crash. As I said below, he blew it. He blew it. He blew it long before he left the racing surface. And the moment he left the racing surface, he determined he was going to crash. You can see it in his failure to control the motorcycle on the asphalt, and his continued failure to control the motorcycle in the runoff. He blew it. He did it.

Well yeah, I was exaggerating a bit, and yes, it was a given he's going down. I'll defer to those that have actually raced their bikes, I just ride on the street !
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:02 AM   #24
Who's askin'?

Was thinking about this on my commute this morning.
Any new news? I couldn't find any online.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #25

Our local Audi Club in response to this now requires that you go to the drivers meeting to get your wristband to get on track, whereas before they were given out at registration. Also you must go to the first download session after your run group to get a ticket to get on track for the rest of the day.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
Our local Audi Club in response to this now requires that you go to the drivers meeting to get your wristband to get on track, whereas before they were given out at registration. Also you must go to the first download session after your run group to get a ticket to get on track for the rest of the day.
Our local PCA group (AZ) started doing downloads after the first session (IIRC) this year. You still get your wrist band at registration though. Now for NASA locally here, you attend your group driver's meeting first, and your group leader gives out the wrist bands. You also have to attend a download after every session. I personally think this is how it should be done. I do not go to Pro-Autosports or Speed Ventures events anymore because it is too dangerous, and there are people and cars on the track that should not be there. It has become NO fun anymore with those groups. Now, Speed Ventures does do the downloads after sessions 1 and 2, but to me it seems more like smoke and mirrors. No real consequences for those that are dangerous. You have to share the track with 14 and 16 year olds!
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #27

Our club has started handing out tech stickers for attending the driver's mtg.

NASA has a good system for handing out a chip after a mtg to get on the track for the next session. However, NASA lets some sketchy cars onto the track - at least in the few events they've hosted that I've attended.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:41 AM   #28

Garage
2 groups in particular that I drive with hand out playing cards at meetings/classes. No card at track entry no driving.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Our club has started handing out tech stickers for attending the driver's mtg.

NASA has a good system for handing out a chip after a mtg to get on the track for the next session. However, NASA lets some sketchy cars onto the track - at least in the few events they've hosted that I've attended.
The only reason to go out with NASA is if you want to get your competition license. That's why there are so many sketchy people out there - too many racer wannabes. I go out with a few groups here where I feel safe as I know a lot of the guys on track or have been out with them before. NASA isn't for me.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #30
Who's askin'?

Would y'all please do me a favor and describe "sketchy", so I can be sure its not me? Haha.
I mean, are we talking about behavior? Or less - prepared cars? Or what, exactly?

The bulk of my time on racetracks has been bikes. Literally ALL of my track time in a car has been at private functions, prep'd cars or exotics, in some cases ALL professional drivers (except me) or in other cases, very closely regulated, educational track time. So as I foray into doing public track days, PCA, etc, I'll have an eye out for the etiquette I may be missing.

But give me a heads up what y'all mean by sketchy?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #31
Certified Boxster Addict

It would appear that the trial scheduled for May, 2018 was cancelled. I couldn't find a reason. A conference regarding the status of the trial is now scheduled for Oct, 2018, where anything could happen (they could tell the judge that they have a settlement or set a new trial date or ??).

Superior Court of Monterrey Portal

If anyone else knows any add'l info, please post it.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote