Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2014, 02:54 AM   #1

I didn't see it mentioned, what oiling system mods do you have ?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Eeeeesh! That sucks the joy out of racing. Sorry Tom.

I do think "plan B" is wise though. When a motor grenades it stresses, wears, and deforms in unexpected ways and shiny bits get into everything, everywhere. A sound used motor with clean oil is not a 100% sure thing but probably a lot more certain than one that has been a metallic sausage grinder. I went through this in an earlier life with both a 350 Chevy and Ford 351 motors.

Best wishes for 2015 my friend!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Eeeeesh! That sucks the joy out of racing. Sorry Tom.

I do think "plan B" is wise though. When a motor grenades it stresses, wears, and deforms in unexpected ways and shiny bits get into everything, everywhere. A sound used motor with clean oil is not a 100% sure thing but probably a lot more certain than one that has been a metallic sausage grinder. I went through this in an earlier life with both a 350 Chevy and Ford 351 motors.

Best wishes for 2015 my friend!
Thanks and yes, my thinking is that it was time to start over with an engine with only street use and no previous metal processing! I am hoping that this engine will last as long as my previous stock engine.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
I didn't see it mentioned, what oiling system mods do you have ?
The engine had an EBS sump baffle but otherwise is stock. No Accusump. But I am seriously looking at options.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The engine had an EBS sump baffle but otherwise is stock. No Accusump. But I am seriously looking at options.
Wow that hurts. Three in one season is just crazy! Any over revs? What was did different about your previous engine/car? Diff. tires and tracks?

I never really understood the EBS baffle's specific value other than being metal and the incorp. of the small baffle sections....I guess I would have to get my hands there to see how it fits up. There is no reserve oil volume and it would appear oil can still "climb" the baffle walls. I would think a trapped volume oil via a windage tray (horizontal baffle and vert. baffles would be the way to go with a deep sump as big as your ground clearance goes...then Accusump? Anyway there a few good sumps on the market now.

Ahh I know a guy....think he looses an engine a season (M97)chasing mustangs and camaros....high revs then boom