Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #221

Garage
Forgot 1st page...

cmacduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #222
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacduff View Post
Sorry for the delay. Here is the build list for my oil cooler and a picture of it. The fan is actually underneath the cooler and pulls air through a hole in the trunk and exhausts to the street. There is also obviously a cut out in the bottom of the trunk to allow for this.
Thanks Chris - any temp data that you'd like to share, before vs after? That is a serious cooler!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-14-2014 at 03:07 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #223
Certified Boxster Addict

My younger son was home for the holidays from college so I talked him into helping me start to swap out the transmission. We got the lower braces, rear sway bar, and entire exhaust system removed in about 90 mins.

1979 911 SC
Old 12-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #224

Quote:
Sorry for the delay. Here is the build list for my oil cooler and a picture of it. The fan is actually underneath the cooler and pulls air through a hole in the trunk and exhausts to the street. There is also obviously a cut out in the bottom of the trunk to allow for this.

Thank you sir!
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Hah! That is pretty funny! Let me know what we're going to fix next...

Sorry to hear that the 951 might go but you'll love a Spec Boxster!
Ah em thinking of tracking a 951 this coming season. ...you guys are making nervous
Old 12-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Ah em thinking of tracking a 951 this coming season. ...you guys are making nervous
Do your homework. Lots of info out there.
Keep your oil cool, baffle your oil pan.

M
Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #227

macduff, Where is the cooler fresh air inlet ? The trunk is sealed pretty well, a fan can't move air without a flow path.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #228

Garage
A hole was cut in the middle of the trunk and a custom scoop made to funnel air in to it. We did testing on the air flow by taping the strands of a mop from the back of the car over the inlet for the air cooler before making the scoop and used a go-pro to film the strands and see where the air flow was at race speeds. The cooler fan actually did suck the air in without the scoop so we tested some sessions with a "sample scoop" made out of an in box that you would see in an office on the wall. We used double sided tape and zip tied it through the mesh in the oil cooler in let. Temperatures were improved by 10 degrees with the scoop so even though air flowed without it was improved with the scoop. I'll post some pictures of that and also some screen shots of the temperature differences.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #229

Cool, glad to see you did some testing.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #230

Quote:
A hole was cut in the middle of the trunk and a custom scoop made to funnel air in to it. We did testing on the air flow by taping the strands of a mop from the back of the car over the inlet for the air cooler before making the scoop and used a go-pro to film the strands and see where the air flow was at race speeds. The cooler fan actually did suck the air in without the scoop so we tested some sessions with a "sample scoop" made out of an in box that you would see in an office on the wall. We used double sided tape and zip tied it through the mesh in the oil cooler in let. Temperatures were improved by 10 degrees with the scoop so even though air flowed without it was improved with the scoop. I'll post some pictures of that and also some screen shots of the temperature differences.
I'm assuming when you say trunk -- in this case you mean trunk lid?
Definitely like to see the pix --

I was thinking something similar -- probably looks something like a 930 intercooler.

Mike
Old 12-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #231

Quote:
A hole was cut in the middle of the trunk and a custom scoop made to funnel air in to it.
This mod is not going to be spec box legal, otherwise everyone would be cutting holes in their trunks for weight saving. I would talk to your local scrutes about how (if) you can get air in to the trunk and comply with the rules.
specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #232
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by specboxCO View Post
This mod is not going to be spec box legal, otherwise everyone would be cutting holes in their trunks for weight saving. I would talk to your local scrutes about how (if) you can get air in to the trunk and comply with the rules.
I thought that I had mentioned in an earlier post that this mod isn't BSR/SPB legal. If not, sorry.

Chris' Boxster is an S-model anyway, so he runs in the GT class where mods like this are allowed.

With that being said, you have to admit that his approach to engine cooling is serious!
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 12-15-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #233

Garage
This is true. For those of you spec guys this mod won't be legal. My POC class is strictly power to weight. Anything else goes so if you have a big pocket book you can off set or compliment your driving. My car is in GT5 and the classes go 6-1 so I am on the bottom end and that is expensive enough.

That being said to answer Sennigen's question about exact temps when I was at AA speedway in Fontana in August ambient temps were 95 give or take. Without the cooler my oil temps were over 250 degrees by the end of a session. At Willow Springs in early September the temps were similar and my oil temps were 225 after a session. When we tested the in box file folder it lowered them another 10 degrees so 215 at the end of a session. I have attached a picture of the scoop and the hole in the trunk. The final scoop was just finished so I don't have data on it yet but my assumption is it will perform just as well as the in box file folder.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #234

Awesome set up....love it! Jeez I really need to move out to SoCal! Do you have a transmission oil cooler set up under there as well?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:08 AM   #235

That's looks better than I thought it would, painted black it would blend in well. Still pretty much a track only mod, I don't think golf clubs will fit on top of that !
Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #236

Garage
Jus for clarification in my last post the oil cooler was added after AA speedway and before the Willow Springs event. Sure you figured that out.....

Full picture of my car below. 2001 Boxster S

Old 12-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #237

Garage
No transmission cooler yet. I try not to run too much in the summer any more. It's just too hot here and heat is a killer!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #238

Car and mods look awesome!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #239

are those pole positions - did you see the recent fia ruling on them?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #240

Quote:
This is true. For those of you spec guys this mod won't be legal. My POC class is strictly power to weight. Anything else goes so if you have a big pocket book you can off set or compliment your driving. My car is in GT5 and the classes go 6-1 so I am on the bottom end and that is expensive enough.

That being said to answer Sennigen's question about exact temps when I was at AA speedway in Fontana in August ambient temps were 95 give or take. Without the cooler my oil temps were over 250 degrees by the end of a session. At Willow Springs in early September the temps were similar and my oil temps were 225 after a session. When we tested the in box file folder it lowered them another 10 degrees so 215 at the end of a session. I have attached a picture of the scoop and the hole in the trunk. The final scoop was just finished so I don't have data on it yet but my assumption is it will perform just as well as the in box file folder.

Great data -- and this was what I was envisioning -- I would think that the scoop would do one of two things -- elevate the need for the fans (at any reasonable speed), and/or add extra drag.

Otherwise I like it.

Mike