Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

(Fake?) Racing at Willow Springs

Here is a video from two weeks ago at Willow Springs. My best lap time was 1:40 which was a big improvement from my previous times.

Be sure to check out the car spinning off the track in front of me just past the 4:00 mark. What you don't see is the GT-3 Cup car passing me on the outside of Turn 2 which is why I had to stay tight on the inside and go through the dirt cloud.

As I went through the dirt cloud at about 90mph, I was hoping that he was still out in the dirt, but you'll also see the car coming back towards the track as I go by and he DID come onto the track behind me (I saw this in the rear view mirror). Then the GT-3 completes the pass just before we roll into Turn 3. Made for a busy several seconds in the cockpit.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the "(Fake?)" racing title in reference to a few other posts in this section of the Forum. Just in fun. Hope no one gets mad.

POC WSIR Boxster April, 2012.wmv - YouTube

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-08-2012 at 06:17 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Nice consistent lines. 1:40 is seriously flying at WSIR in a nearly stock 2.5 Boxster on a warm day. My best time there was two years ago in ideal conditions and I posted a 1:40.2 with stock shocks and full weight. My visit last august was 105F and green track surface with oils coming up mid day and tires felt like butter. The best I could do was 1:41 at full pucker. On a cool day with good track surface I think a 1:38 is still possible in our cars.

Glad the rally driver missed you when he crossed over. I don't like big dust clouds at 90mph much.

Last edited by Topless; 05-09-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Garage
Nice driving! Crazy spoiler on the 911 around the 4 minute mark followed by the spin! I wish I could afford to go on a race track.:ah:
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #4

Nice video!

No signal to pass required if you are in a GT3? We would be black flagged for that up here....guess they can say it was an avoidance manouver
Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Nice video!

No signal to pass required if you are in a GT3? We would be black flagged for that up here....guess they can say it was an avoidance manouver
In this group, we were running under "point by passing anywhere on the track" rules and I had given the GT-3 car the point by to my left in the middle of Turn 2. Everyone played nice and kept to their line so there wasn't any reason for a black flag.
1979 911 SC
Old 05-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #6

nice video, but I think it's worth investing in a GoPro HD video cam
Not only will the picture be much "sharper" but the wide angle makes such a difference
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
nice video, but I think it's worth investing in a GoPro HD video cam
Not only will the picture be much "sharper" but the wide angle makes such a difference
I hear you. The original video is actually very clear. The quality goes down when I edit the video (to remove 25 mins of somewhat boring lapping). Then when I re-encode the video it turns to slop.

Right now I'm using Pinnicle Studio 11 and rendering to Windows format, medium quality NTSC and the file size for a 10 min clip is around 40MB. If I render to high quality, the file size explodes to >100MB.

Let me try re-encoding it to high quality and see what happens. If you or anyone else have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate them.
1979 911 SC
Old 05-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #8

I record my videos in 720p resolution with a GoPro HD cam
Then I overlay the video with the GPS data with Trackvision
Then I edit it in CyberLink PowerDirector which has an integrated YouTube uploader
The result looks like this: Boxster S against Ferrari 430 and Lotus Elise (Boxster wins) - YouTube
make sure you select 720p resolution
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #9

For anyone with plans to go to Willow Springs, I made a turn-by-turn guide to the track. It doesn't have tremendous production values, but it'll give you my angle on how to get around the track. For reference, I'm in a 1972 911 with a 1995 motor in it. (The video is shot with a couple of $38 keychain fob HD cameras from China.)

Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
SPB racer

Garage
Wow thanks Jack. That is a great and informative video and very nicely put together. I appreciate your generosity in sharing it. I have never been to willow springs but I may have to put it on the list for next year.

Something worth noting (for those new to track driving) is how flowingly and sparingly Jack uses his steering wheel despite the obvious pace he is carrying. Dennis Macchio at Bertil Roos explained to me once that every change in direction (however small) requires energy and that that energy (if expended) will cost you speed. To him the ideal corner attack was a single movement from straight to turned (at turn in), a held line that takes you past your visualized apex and a single movement of unwinding that takes you back to your track out. Anything else was just a waste of energy. Jack ably demonstrates this talent on nearly every corner in this video.

Nice job and thanks Jack.

Laurie

Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote