Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Garage
Patrick Motorsport /Accusump kit

Has anyone installed this kit on a boxster. I appears to answer all my needs. The price is better than most bare sump kits.

Patrick Motorsports - PKG 986ACCUSUMPPKG 986 987 BSR SPBOX PORSCHE BOXSTER RACING ACCUSUMP KIT OIL PRESSURE STARVATION

They are showing a complete instalation kist tubing ends remote filter and sump tank.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 02-05-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: add Pic
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #2

I have installed plenty of the Accusumps, but not his particular "kit"

I'm guessing it mounts in the trunk? and the filter goes in the trunk also?

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #3

Is the Accusump seen as a "nice to have" or a "must have" in a Boxster racing car?
Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #4

Do you have tracks with high banked corners? (Like a NASCAR banked oval?)

No? Then there is no need.

Is it extra insurance? Sure!

But.. I have had front running Boxster's on the track for several years with NO Accusump (and I have ran Accusumps in other Porsches for 20+ years)

2.5? Not really.

3.2? Maybe

B
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #5

Oh.. and its me pulling apart and rebuilding the engines... soo.. I'm the one who sees exactly what is going on with the main and rod bearings

B
Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

I do have a 3.2 (2001 Boxster S), and we do have some fun tracks - but not NASCAR banked oval stuff.

But good stuff - I will not put the Accusump on my list then
Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #7

The biggest oil pressure drop I see in data occurs when the cars are in the banking of a NASCAR oval track (upwards of 30lbs of drop depending on how long they are in the banking)

B
Old 02-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #8

Garage
Tracks I intend to run or have run are Watkins Glen turn 5 long downhill right turn followed by hard braking into 120 degree tight left turn. where I smoked last year. Pocono, turn 1-2 are left turn high speed that last 10 to 15 seconds or more. VIR have never been a this track and don't know what to expect. I wanted the spin on filter but I dont like LLNs offering that adds the outlet for the accusump. half the size of a normal filter. I am concerned about putting the filter in the trunk, because of the heat around the computors. I did order this I'll let you all know how it goes.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
The biggest oil pressure drop I see in data occurs when the cars are in the banking of a NASCAR oval track (upwards of 30lbs of drop depending on how long they are in the banking)

B
In your opinion is one direction worse than the other.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:

B
Not saying you don't see the data but what you're saying doesn't make sense to me. Surely on a banked turn the forces on the oil are forcing it more towards the bottom of the sump than the side. Ie the G forces are pushing down. Hard cornering on a flat surface, by contrast, would have the forces pushing sideways. I presume that oiling issues occur when centripetal force pushes the oil away from the scavenge pumps. Logically that occurs on a flat surface rather than a banked one - what am I missing?
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #11

A LOT of times I wish we had a small camera in the oil pan.. seriously.. I cannot explain a lot of what I see in data, but I have seen it in Boxsters/Cayman's/6's and 7's. The oil appears to be moving away from the pickup and then the pressure drop 1-2 seconds after the car makes the transition from flat to banking.

The issue is: you are already at high RPM (little to no oil in the pan area) and now add in the banking... The engines (just like any engine with a regular oil pan) it puts all the oil into the heads. Getting the oil back into the pan (and/or limiting it to the heads) is a BIG concern.

The X51 pan helps a lot by trapping the oil near the sump while the car is in the banking (or high speed transition)
Old 02-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
In your opinion is one direction worse than the other.

Left turns. Only because the right head has the AOS mounted on it. Head fills with oil, oil makes it way up the AOS, fills the AOS, car smokes, AOS cannot drain the oil back into the engine block fast enough. Porsche changed the return hole for the AOS from X86-X87. It is MUCH bigger on the X87 blocks. The issue is: the oil from the AOS doesn't return fast enough.. car smoked as the canister fills up.

B
Old 02-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #13

Quote:
but I dont like LLNs offering that adds the outlet for the accusump. half the size of a normal filter.
You haven't seen a Subaru oil filter In this case.. size doesn't matter..

B
Old 02-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:

The issue is: you are already at high RPM (little to no oil in the pan area) and now add in the banking... The engines (just like any engine with a regular oil pan) it puts all the oil into the heads. Getting the oil back into the pan (and/or limiting it to the heads) is a BIG )
I wonder if the difference has nothing to do with banked or not banked but rather the amount of time spent in a corner. A banked turn is really just an extremely long sweeper. And maybe what you are seeing is that the longer the car stays with forces pushing the oil away from centre the less oil you end up with in the sump. Just a thought. When I grenaded my 996 it was on the exit from the esses onto the back straight at WGI - a long, high G corner.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #15

If anyone does decide to put the "kit" from Patrick's, make sure you don't install it like this picture from their web site...

Patrick Motorsports - 986 BSR # 17

I don't know what their instructions say, but if you plumb the check valve the way they did in that picture, you might as well just delete the check valve all together. They way they have it installed, it's never going to have a chance to act as a check valve because of how the oil flows. It's supposed to be on the other side (inlet) of the filter housing to function properly, but considering that most oil filters have an internal "one way baffle" the check valve is technically redundant IMO.

I've actually seen problems with these Canton check valves before. They are almost a "one time install" valve because they are made of brass pipe threads which actually expand slightly every time you tighten them. Do that one too many times and you can actually have issues with the internal valve mechanism not being able to open all the way causing a restriction. I've seen low oil pressure problems caused by this exact scenario. In most Accusump plumbing systems, I try to avoid using these check valves and let the internal oil filter check valve do it's job.

I'm actually a big fan of Accusump systems and especially the E.S.P. electric valve systems, but in order for them to be effective, the owner/driver of the car has to understand how the WHOLE system works.

Last edited by kcpaz; 02-12-2012 at 11:51 AM.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
I wonder if the difference has nothing to do with banked or not banked but rather the amount of time spent in a corner. A banked turn is really just an extremely long sweeper. And maybe what you are seeing is that the longer the car stays with forces pushing the oil away from centre the less oil you end up with in the sump. Just a thought. When I grenaded my 996 it was on the exit from the esses onto the back straight at WGI - a long, high G corner.
The fact with banked corners is that the physics involved allow the car to achieve higher lateral g-force numbers than a non-banked turn. Add to that the fact that banked turns are almost always long sustained turns and it makes the problem worse. Having said that, I've had customers report that they have seen oil pressure dummy lights flicker on some of our long, non-banked turns. I think the X51 baffle does a good job at keeping the pick-up surrounded by oil. Is the X51 by itself enough??? hard to say for sure, but I see no down side to the use of an Accusump, and compared to the cost of an engine, they are cheap insurance.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
The fact with banked corners is that the physics involved allow the car to achieve higher lateral g-force numbers than a non-banked turn. Add to that the fact that banked turns are almost always long sustained turns and it makes the problem worse. Having said that, I've had customers report that they have seen oil pressure dummy lights flicker on some of our long, non-banked turns. I think the X51 baffle does a good job at keeping the pick-up surrounded by oil. Is the X51 by itself enough??? hard to say for sure, but I see no down side to the use of an Accusump, and compared to the cost of an engine, they are cheap insurance.
Here is the actual physics of the force. For a given radius turn the force you feel at 70MPH is doubled at 100 MPH. It four time as much at 144 MPH and it 6 times as much at 173MPH. Force that exerts down is the centripital force * the SIN of the angle. Where the angle is the angle the turn is banked. the rest of the force is tranmited outward along the line of the radius.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #18

Garage
Project completed today. This was not the easiest project, But it is functional.

Oil filter removed and a LN billet Filter adaptor installed then an external filter adaptor. The stainless
Braided hose is the hardest part of the kit. Tape with duct tape and grind in half with a air die grinder.

Almost every one I saw was on the floor which waste the entire trunk. I mounted off the firewall , and
used 2 aluminum angles.. The Preload gauges was giving me a fit with the dipstick tube so I used
ninetys to bring it out on front.

Put in a copper line to a guage in the upper CD tray, This is a temp fix and I'm am looking at what
else could be done there

I think I have about 8 hours into the project but I believe most of that time was getting the best
path for the hoses, and making sure I did not drill through the trunk floor into something.

Last edited by jsceash; 02-18-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Text for PIcs.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #19

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but can anyone weigh in on the best oil filter to use on an Accusump system with remote filter?

I did lots of searches but was unable to find anything.
JEDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #20

Garage
I'm using NAPA Gold 1060, or WIX 51060, WiX 51060R comes in the kit.