View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
kcpaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
I wonder if the difference has nothing to do with banked or not banked but rather the amount of time spent in a corner. A banked turn is really just an extremely long sweeper. And maybe what you are seeing is that the longer the car stays with forces pushing the oil away from centre the less oil you end up with in the sump. Just a thought. When I grenaded my 996 it was on the exit from the esses onto the back straight at WGI - a long, high G corner.
The fact with banked corners is that the physics involved allow the car to achieve higher lateral g-force numbers than a non-banked turn. Add to that the fact that banked turns are almost always long sustained turns and it makes the problem worse. Having said that, I've had customers report that they have seen oil pressure dummy lights flicker on some of our long, non-banked turns. I think the X51 baffle does a good job at keeping the pick-up surrounded by oil. Is the X51 by itself enough??? hard to say for sure, but I see no down side to the use of an Accusump, and compared to the cost of an engine, they are cheap insurance.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote