Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #1

Joined the club today...

Well, I finally completed my purchase of a 1999 Boxster today!

I want to thank everyone for all the great info/advice I have gotten on this forum, it truly made the process MUCH easier and informative. Maybe I can start contributing at some point, instead of asking questions!

I could hardly sleep last night, honestly. Other than my house, this is the largest single purchase I have made. I guess I should take it as a good sign that today was the first day above 50 degrees since November. It allowed me to drop the top and even play a bit with a bright Yellow Lotus Elise that was out enjoying the sun also. Can't wait for Spring here...

Here's what she looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250080672689&rd=1,1

HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #2

Congrats! and nice color combo
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #3

Congrats on the purchase, it's a great color with alot of great options.!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #4

NICE looking ride!

I love those wheels... Wish my car had those ones on it instead of the twists. (twists are my LEAST favorite p-car wheels) Dealer I got my car from had one the same color(s) as yours. It was TEMPTING to look at... but I bought the grey/grey one from them since it had lower miles, and I liked the color.

Nice list of options there!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Damn that's alot of options! Congrats! Looks like someone already started the "must do" mods it. What's up with the rear bumper though? Looks as if someone attached something to it at one point?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
bmussatti

Beautiful!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
What's up with the rear bumper though? Looks as if someone attached something to it at one point?
Those would be the parking distance sensors.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Damn that's alot of options! Congrats! Looks like someone already started the "must do" mods it. What's up with the rear bumper though? Looks as if someone attached something to it at one point?
What, you mean those "zits on its ass"? It's for the parking sensors... which I can't imagine why you'd need, but c'est la vie. Whoever bought this thing new spent a small fortune on options; I did enjoy the heated seats today, though.

Thanks for the compliments, I'm excited to really get it out this weekend!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Very Nice!

I see it even comes with the coveted North Carolina (UNC) insignia on the windshield!

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #10

Beautiful ride! That's the first 99 I've seen with factory navigation. She's definitely loaded. Congrats!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Very Nice!

I see it even comes with the coveted North Carolina (UNC) insignia on the windshield!

ddb

Haha... yeah, that will be my first mod... taking that off immediately. I really don't want to increase my chances of it getting keyed in a parking lot. People (myself included) take their basketball seriously in these here parts.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #12

Congrats as well. I just picked up my 99 last October and can't wait for the snow to go. There is nothing else like it on the road.

BTW: How much did you pay for it. I see the reserve was not met on the auction.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8

Last edited by jci-joe; 03-08-2007 at 05:03 PM.
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #13

Great Car! Excellent choice.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #14

HIFI,

Congratulations ! Great looking car !

Is that the same one you posted before ?

Enjoy,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
HIFI,

Congratulations ! Great looking car !

Is that the same one you posted before ?

Enjoy,

Nick
It is indeed the same one I posted before... it's taken about a month to finalize. The owner is in China, so it has been an unusual transaction to say the least. No worries, as I didn't really need it until the weather improved anyway, and sometimes the wait is the best part.

To answer the above question, we agreed on $20k (his reserve was $22.5k, which is right at Blue Book). I think I got a fair (not great) deal, so I am happy. It only has 22.5k miles on it, so I hope to enjoy it for many, many years.

-Grant
Old 03-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
congrats man, enjoy it, car looks great
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #17

Be Very Very Careful

Whoa....

The owner is in China? Have you actually seen the car in person or are you just dealing electronically? If you haven't actually seen the car AND the owner wants you to send money to him in China via Western Union HOLD ON. Lots of scams out there where unscrupulous people pull VINs and pics of cars they don't own and then want you to wire them money for it. They lie to you about how the money is safe and you are protected but that's not true - once you OK the wire transaction with WU, the money is out of your control and can't be returned. They try to prey on your greed factor - gotta hurry and get this great deal before someone else does.

When I was looking for my Boxster, I found an ad in AutoTrader for one that was almost 50% off. I did a CarFax on the VIN and it came back clean - no major accidents, which is what I was looking for. The "owner" said she had taken a job in England and moved there from ATL. Once she got there, she said it would cost $10K to federalize the car and she didn't like to drive a LHD car in a RHD country. Since the car was in England, she had to drop the price way down to entice buyers. Sounded good. She wanted me to wire her a deposit of $2700 and had some way she said would protect me from having the deposit stolen. Still all sounded legit. Once she saw the depost had arrived, she said she would ship the car to Omaha at her expense. If I liked it, I would wire her the rest of the money. If I didn't like it, I could send it back at her expense. Red flags started to go up. I asked her about the title. She said she would ship it with the car. At that point I knew something was fishy because you would never ship the title to a car when the owner only had a small portion of the price. I checked with WU and they said this was a classic scam. Your deposit isn't protected and the amount is small potatoes to the authorities. WU had me call the FBI but they never pursued it. Once again, had I not done some investigating and instead acted on my greed to get a great deal, I could have been out a nice chunk of money.

Hopefully this is not the scenario you are in, but your description sounded oh too familiar. Good luck with your purchase. Be careful.

Terry
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Whoa....

The owner is in China? Have you actually seen the car in person or are you just dealing electronically? If you haven't actually seen the car AND the owner wants you to send money to him in China via Western Union HOLD ON. Lots of scams out there where unscrupulous people pull VINs and pics of cars they don't own and then want you to wire them money for it. They lie to you about how the money is safe and you are protected but that's not true - once you OK the wire transaction with WU, the money is out of your control and can't be returned. They try to prey on your greed factor - gotta hurry and get this great deal before someone else does.

When I was looking for my Boxster, I found an ad in AutoTrader for one that was almost 50% off. I did a CarFax on the VIN and it came back clean - no major accidents, which is what I was looking for. The "owner" said she had taken a job in England and moved there from ATL. Once she got there, she said it would cost $10K to federalize the car and she didn't like to drive a LHD car in a RHD country. Since the car was in England, she had to drop the price way down to entice buyers. Sounded good. She wanted me to wire her a deposit of $2700 and had some way she said would protect me from having the deposit stolen. Still all sounded legit. Once she saw the depost had arrived, she said she would ship the car to Omaha at her expense. If I liked it, I would wire her the rest of the money. If I didn't like it, I could send it back at her expense. Red flags started to go up. I asked her about the title. She said she would ship it with the car. At that point I knew something was fishy because you would never ship the title to a car when the owner only had a small portion of the price. I checked with WU and they said this was a classic scam. Your deposit isn't protected and the amount is small potatoes to the authorities. WU had me call the FBI but they never pursued it. Once again, had I not done some investigating and instead acted on my greed to get a great deal, I could have been out a nice chunk of money.

Hopefully this is not the scenario you are in, but your description sounded oh too familiar. Good luck with your purchase. Be careful.

Terry

Hi Terry, thanks for the concern... the car was local and I dealt through him on email, but his daughter and wife in person. I'm pretty paranoid about such things, so I made sure it was all kosher. He was actually as careful as I was, so that made me feel a bit better also. I have the car and the title, so hopefully I'm in the clear! Thanks though!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:25 AM   #19

Thumbs up Welcome

[QUOTE=HIFI]Well, I finally completed my purchase of a 1999 Boxster today!

Very nice color choice, I was considering that combo myself before I found a Arctic Silver/Gray interior. Gray is a nice choice as it shouldn't get as hot with the top down or at least in theory. Wheels are my favorite 18" option, mine has the straight spoke 17" '01 wheel which I can live with for the time being at least. Bought mine in Dec. and like you am looking forward to this weekend to drive it a bit again. Only drove it once with the top down but plan a lot of top down motoring this year. Keep us posted on your joys with the car. Be careful because the guys and their mods/hacks are tempting. You alread have lit headlights so you don't have far to go if you want to 'de-amber' and you already have the best looking wheels. Good luck.

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:57 AM   #20

Congrats, and welcome to another '99 Boxster!! Next stop, warm weather!!

Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote