Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #41

Aw crap. First I find out that my previous miata race cars were girly, and now I find out that I bought a boxster because of my lack of large man-hood. At least now I can try to pick up girls (just gotta ditch the wife first, 'cause the damn car only has 2 seats! what a POS!)

Life is too short to listen to bozos, unless they're signing your paychecks then you call them 'clients'.

http://foo21.no-ip.info/boxster/boxster_sig_2.jpg
This isn't the Boxster you're looking for...
kelly1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #42

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
its pretty funny tho, i dont find anything 'girly' about the boxster.
i mean if there was something girly i wouldnt mind accepting that it is, but i dont find anything girly so i dont know...
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #43

I guess I have to accept the fact that even though most people don't stereotype our cars/drivers and put us down, the fact is that most people don't know anything about cars.

So most people are ignorant, which is OK. But then there are those who go a step further and impose their ignorance on others...
Old 02-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #44

Send a message via AIM to 7th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Sometimes I get crap about my car or I hear crap from other "car people". Typical stereotypes and generalizations range from, "You can't afford a real Porsche" to "Your car is a girl car."

I usually ignore the critics because I know I know ten times as much as them about cars and I can't possibly respect an ignorant opinion. That's like if a blind man told me my shirt was ugly and I went and changed it because of his opinion.

Here's one example I witnessed today...

This was taken from a forum I use a lot, my350z.com, which is a community for Nissan 350Z owners.

I can't get over the utter stupidity and ignorance displayed here. I don't even need to explain why.

This isn't the first example I've seen.

Do you guys get crap also? From what specific groups do you hear it from? How do you respond? BMW communities have never spoken a word other than to compliment me.

This type of ignorance actually upsets me.

If you want to read the thread, http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234467&page=13

Thanks for letting me rant, guys.
haven't heard that kind of krap ... yet. i guess i'll try to sum that conversation up by telling them 'every car on the road will get from point a to b, it's our egos & the sparkle of the car that get in the way' because it really doesn't matter?!?!? we all got what we wanted and from what i've mostly read here, we're all happy.

pca member
7th gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #45

OK, I'll confess....I bought my Boxster to impress someone, my wife! When I take the top down and head out on a warm Spring day (hey, just around the calendar!) she is impressed. BTW, she never has questioned my manhood or asked "why didn't you get a 350Z?" So I guess it works.

Actually, I have, on occasion, sensed folks were mildly annoyed by the mere presence of the car. Purists never scoff and others aren't worth paying attention to rebuff. Even if someone gave me the car, I wouldn't put up with any abuse for driving it!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #46

Quick, answer this question....WWJD? haha! What would James Dean drive! He would drive the Boxster...and he ain't no girly-man! ; )
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #47

It did used to annoy me. Now I could care less.

I usually tell them one of two things:

"If you think a 240 HP, Mid Engine, Sub 3000 lbs, RWD go kart with superb fit and finish is girlie, then you can call me Shirley and I will call you a HP chasing moron who knows nothing about the sole of a sports car."

OR

"If you think the Boxster is girlie, you should check out my pink Miata"

*I do not have a pink Miata but have always wanted one for a track car. For said reason above, "they are girlie".
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #48

Talking

As mother use to say, "consider the source!"

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboxter
Quick, answer this question....WWJD? haha! What would James Dean drive! He would drive the Boxster...and he ain't no girly-man! ; )
good one, silver!
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #50

To each his own...

I appreciate the maturity and respect of this forum but we aren't always angels. I'm sure we toss our share of comments belittling straight line cars and ricers.

On the topic, I could care less what others think. I needed something to make up for my length challenged manhood and the Boxster fit the bill...

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboxter
Uuuuummmm...you might want to do a little research on James Dean.

Now that times have changed and diverse lifestyles are largely accepted, Mr. Dean might just as easily be spotted cruising Mulholland in a pink Fiero as he would a 550 Spyder. He would certainly help the argument about the Boxster being a girly man's car a lot more than he would refute it.

"...One of his few documented homosexual relationships was with Rogers Brackett, the sophisticated, 35-year-old radio director of a prestigious advertising agency, whom Dean met in the summer of 1951 while working as a parking attendant at CBS...Just two weeks after they met, Dean began living with Brackett in his Hollywood flat...

...While in New York, Dean began dating a singer-dancer named Elizabeth "Dizzy" Sheridan, who seems to have been his only serious girlfriend; he even asked her to marry him. Dean confided in Sheridan about the relationship with Brackett and also said that he planned to end it. "He did not want to be gay," Sheridan recalled years later - a telling statement that, coupled with the fact that he continued seeing Brackett, hints at a possible practical side to Dean's romantic involvement with Sheridan. Being openly (or even too suggestively) gay would have quickly ended his career at that time, when gay actors like Rock Hudson were being forced into sham marriages to protect their image.

It's not surprising, then, that when Dean's movie career began to take off, he started appearing at Hollywood events with pretty starlets on his arm. The press -and his studio, Warner Brothers - made much of his supposedly passionate love affair with the lovely Italian-born Pier Angeli, one of the stars of The Silver Chalice. But though Dean's colleagues and friends maintained that he was heartbroken when Angeli decided to marry singer Vic Damone, Dean's relationship with Angeli was, she herself later said, "all so innocent." Kazan once told an interviewer that he "did not think Jimmy was a very effective lover with women."

Another of Dean's documented gay relationships was with Jack Simmons, a young actor who, by all accounts, was devoted to him. Because the attachment was kept quietly in the background - Dean virtually lived with Simmons while filming Rebel Without a Cause but had his own apartment - studio officials did not seem to mind. That may have also been because the Warner publicity machine was busily getting articles like "The Dean I've Dated," by Lori Nelson, into fan magazines..."

Today, news of a gay actor would nary raise an eyebrow, but in the 50's??? Katy bar the door!!!
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 02-19-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #52

Last week I took for a commute drive a professional semi retired car racer, who has raced Porsches for more than 20 years.
My Porsche is the 05 base, with Triptronic.
He said he thought the Boxster was the best sports car in the world, and who ever said is not a Porsche, they havent driven one.

Then I said , but mine is just a base and a Triptronic, and he says in a windy road a manual will not pull away , not even an S.
The Boxster is all about handling.
motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoadve
Last week I took for a commute drive a professional semi retired car racer, who has raced Porsches for more than 20 years.
He said he thought the Boxster was the best sports car in the world, and who ever said is not a Porsche, they havent driven one.

Then I said , but mine is just a base and a Triptronic, and he says in a windy road a manual will not pull away , not even an S.

Why won't a manual pull away in a windy road?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoadve

Fer gods sake its TIPtronic!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #55

Im depressed "da idiot's" vote counts as much as mine.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #56

I've gotten nothing but positive comments about mine. My rich car collector buddy with 60 some vintage muscle cars and a couple of Bentleys had one in '99 and loved it, even with only 200 horses. He raves about how nice mine is. But then again, he knows cars...
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #57

Hm... well being female, I guess I can bring a new view to this.

I race almost every weekend during the summer, and sometimes twice in a weekend (I live in New York, so that's the only nice weather we get), and during the winter I navigate in rallys while a friend of mine drives her Subaru. I know a thing or two about what I'm doing in this car.

I hear, all the time, "Wow, your husband must trust you to let you take that thing out," or "I can't believe your dad let's you use his car." I'm 24 years old, not married, and bought my car on my own, thank you. Hell, my boyfriend doesn't even come to events anymore (his pride was a little hurt when I beat him raw time at an event during my first season, even though he's been racing for years).

I have just accepted that people will always be jealous of what they don't have. When they see a guy driving a Boxster, it's a girls car. When they see a girl driving a Boxster she must not have a clue how to drive it, or she took it from daddy.

I just crank my music louder and squeal the tires. It usually reminds them that they're stuck driving the minivan with 6 kids.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:59 AM   #58

any convertible car under $100K will always get the chick car label by non-sports car types. Always has, always will.

The Carrera Cabriolet for example not only gets the chick car label it also gets another label, well according to Top Gear's Porsche hating Jeremy Clarkson:
"Why the Boxster? Well if you want a Porsche and a drop top there is also the Cabriolet, but not unless you want to be called a homosexual".

and as it happens Vincenzo my gay hairdresser has 911 Cab (tip).
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #59

Talking

"I have just accepted that people will always be jealous of what they don't have. When they see a guy driving a Boxster, it's a girls car. When they see a girl driving a Boxster she must not have a clue how to drive it, or she took it from daddy."

Some people are jealous, some people aren't

Most guys are probably trying to figure out how to get your phone number or business card!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote