Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #1

is this what idiots think of us?

Sometimes I get crap about my car or I hear crap from other "car people". Typical stereotypes and generalizations range from, "You can't afford a real Porsche" to "Your car is a girl car."

I usually ignore the critics because I know I know ten times as much as them about cars and I can't possibly respect an ignorant opinion. That's like if a blind man told me my shirt was ugly and I went and changed it because of his opinion.

Here's one example I witnessed today...

This was taken from a forum I use a lot, my350z.com, which is a community for Nissan 350Z owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by His post
Sorry guys but a Crossfire no matter how u look at it, it's just girly(like a Miata). As far as Boxters are concerned, it for those like to throw da name out of owning a Porsche(trying to pick up girls..lack of large man-hood). Even the 911 community disliked the Boxter and still does...Don't mean to offend, and can say this being that i've owned a 911 (98). Also born and raised a town away from da plant in Germany(Schwabish Hall, Germany). Up until 1990 before moving to the USA....FYI when sitting at a light what gender of ppl do u see driving those types of cars....Thank-you enough said

I can't get over the utter stupidity and ignorance displayed here. I don't even need to explain why.

This isn't the first example I've seen.

Do you guys get crap also? From what specific groups do you hear it from? How do you respond? BMW communities have never spoken a word other than to compliment me.

This type of ignorance actually upsets me.

If you want to read the thread, http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234467&page=13

Thanks for letting me rant, guys.

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 02-17-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #2

no

No one ever says anything like that to me, they probably wouldn't dare..., at least in my presence...

The way I look at it, does it really matter what they think?
Especially irrelevant people.
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well its not like u think highly of a 350z
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley1
No one ever says anything like that to me, they probably wouldn't dare..., at least in my presence...

The way I look at it, does it really matter what they think?
Especially irrelevant people.

Fortunately nobody has ever said it to me in person besides my sister who got it from a tv drama (sopranos is a great source for auto info. and reviews)

I don't respect their opinions but it bothers me that people could be so stupid and what's worse is they are content w/ their ignorance.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #5

well i guess if you search around you can find hate about any car. and i bet most people on there never drove a box b4

Old 02-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
well i guess if you search around you can find hate about any car. and i bet most people on there never drove a box b4

It's just the fact that his post has absolutely ZERO fact in it or logical reasoning and that is how baseless stereotypes and generalizations get spread.

Most of them are between 18-22 years old on that forum. I'm not sure if that is a contributing factor to the levels of ignorance, but there is definitely a correlation.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #7

I don't care what other people think. I didn't buy my Boxster (or my Prius) to impress others.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #8

Talking

Opinions are like ................. everyone has one.

Even us!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #9

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

But keep it an opinion.

Don't make objective statements about things if you don't know the facts. Like that most people driving Boxsters are females.

I can't even name a female on this site that I know of anyhow.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #10

Anytime you see a boxster hater like that, ask them if they have driven one and the answer is no 99% of the time. Some people just don't get it or feel insecure about their own car so they have to put down others. As mentioned ealier there are bad stereotypes about almost any car, including the 350Z I might add.

Last edited by Adam; 02-17-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell!
I don't care what other people think. I didn't buy my Boxster (or my Prius) to impress others.
Amen! Who cares what someone else thinks. We looked at the Boxster because it's one of two convertibles that fits the wife's height comfortably. Once we drove it, that was it. We bought the Boxster because we both love driving it, not so we would be seen in a Porsche, so don't let them get under your skin.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #12

This came up in a thread a few weeks back. It's a shame more from the Porsche community (oh there's another car made besides a 911??) than from others like Nissan.

I mentioned this exist in the BMW world. I am even looked down on by our pompous dealer for having a '99 3 series.

At least I have found no division among us here. S vs non S, 987 vs 986. That is very evident and viscious on some Bimmer boards.

Bottom line, I care less. I chose them, drive them and pay for them.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #13

Angry Say what?

If someone buys the car for me, pays the insurance and gas, they then have the right to a say in how or what kind of car it is. Other than that they can go s**t in their hat and pull it down over their ears. It is the ones with class envy that p**s me off the most. My life is time, my earned money reflects that time, they are NOT entiltled to it.....go back and read that again. My choices are just that, mine! Like the old song says, "shut your mouth, go away!" Sheesh!!!!!

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
hts

you can't let other folks' ignorance get to ya. and the poster may actually have some valid points, i.e., the boxster is the entry-level in porsche's line-up (truedat), and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a majority of 911 owners looked down on boxsters and their owners. so what?

quite frankly, the reason i'm getting a boxster is that i want a fun, affordable, mid-engine convertible. i'm afraid that if i got a rear-engine 911, i'd prolly kill myself. i'm by no means a professional driver (never taken a class, never been on a track, never intend to do either), nor do i have any preconceived notions of my driving prowess, and believe me, a boxster is prolly more car than i can handle. that being said, i'm still debating getting the base or the S.

:-D
hts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Anytime you see a boxster hater like that, ask them if they have driven one and the answer is no 99% of the time. Some people just don't get it or feel insecure about their own car so they have to put down others. As mentioned ealier there are bad stereotypes about almost any car, including the 350Z I might add.

You know how that works. People always will lie to you or say, "My friend had one..." or something like that.

One thing sc986 is right about is that here we all treat each other the same. I don't care if someone is driving a pre-production 986 from 1996...I respect you all the same and you all respect me the same.

I believe everyone has a car identity and that because of our car identity, we identify w/ a certain car or type of car. It is obvious here that everyone has identified w/ the Boxster for one reason or another.

Like Jeremy Clarkson once said, "You can't explain true love", when talking about his Ford GT.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Here is an example of how many that dislike the Boxster completely flip their opinoin after a drive in one; My dad didn't like Boxsters at all,not one bit,he even bad mouthed it a couple of times after I even bought. I let him drive it a couple of times,it was funny trying to see him drive a bottom-hinged gas pedal and dual mass flywheel. Well after that and letting him drive it through some turns he completely changed his mind and even considered buying one. I promptly made sure that he knew the Boxster model line is MINE,he can't copy his son

-Most of the people that run their mouths about Boxsters being cheap are wrong,these things are still expensive unless you by an early model high mileage one that is basically stripped.

-Now about the whole girl car thing,yes many other cars are faster but I've been in tons of other fast cars that don't have the handling or braking that they should to be a complete sports car,THE BOXSTER IS BALANCED IN EVERY ASPECT!

-"Poser Porsche",nonsense poppy pants! Who is to call it a "poser",the 911 crowd? Need I remind them that the first Porsche was a Roadster? Oh it's not a Porsche because it's not air-cooled? Cry me a river,Porsche was in need of more cooling,hence the move to radiators.

The best response to any smart remark by anyone would be walking away, taking the Boxster out,giving it a good ol' fashion spirited drive and tell them to wipe that grin off your face if they can.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 02-17-2007 at 08:06 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #17

If those comments were delivered by someone slightly more articulate (or at least knew some basic English grammar) then I might have read his opinion. Plonk.

-- peer (a foreigner, currently living in California)
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #18

well he couldnt even spell Boxster right

Old 02-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to asnigro
I usually dont put too much stock in the opinion of a person that uses the word "da" for "the", but that may be just me.

So he is saying his Boxster experience is driving a '98 911? Hmmm.
asnigro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #20

I bought the car because I loved the styling and frankly a convertible 911 doesn't look as nice IMHO and for what people have to say about me, my car or whatever
the **************** i own doesn't bother me at all. I'm the one who worked for it all so I'll do as I please. Now i must try to figure out how to fix my IE browser from being redirected every time i type an address

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote