Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #1

Unhappy Please help

Took my car into the dealership and was told the car was flooded out on the drivers side and they would have to replace the alarm control unit for starters. Then the service manager said they would have to take the seat and carpet out to get it dried out....at the cost of 1000.00. So basically he told me car out of service for 2 weeks and a bill for anywhere between 4000.00-6000.00 dollars.

Oh, and informed the leak came from a whole somehwere in the top, which I have never noticed before. Anyway, has any had this happen and do those rates seem awful high.....I'm sick!

By the way....my insurance company wont cover this.

MAC986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #2

Never had it happen and sorry to hear of your troubles. I have no idea on the total cost to replace, but $4-6K seems a bit high. If I recall correctly, a new control unit is somewhere in the $2500 range.

Anyhow, some people have had a similar water problems under drivers seat which caused problems w/ the unit. Most of their water problems were created by blocked drain tubes in the cavity where the soft top resides when down. There are 2 drain tubes, one on each side, that can easily get plugged. I'd say it's a 50/50 split - sometimes they had to replace the unit. Other times they were able to pull it out - let it dry really well and hook it all back up w/out any problems.

I'd explore the idea of getting the vehicle home, putting a fan and some gentle heat on it for 3-4 days to see if it can be saved. You might be out a couple hundred $ for towing, but you'd be way ahead of the $4-6K estimate. Another thought may be to replace w/ a control unit from a salvaged Boxster. Not sure if that will work (and will probably require getting the keys from it along w/ reprograming) but might be worth looking into (and cheaper).

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #3

Thread jack: Burg Boxster... do you live in Pittsburgh? If so, what part?

Non thread jack: If the water damage isn't too serious, you may be able to shampoo and dry out the interior yourself and just get the parts replaced that got damaged.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Anyhow, some people have had a similar water problems under drivers seat which caused problems w/ the unit. Most of their water problems were created by blocked drain tubes in the cavity where the soft top resides when down. There are 2 drain tubes, one on each side, that can easily get plugged. I'd say it's a 50/50 split - sometimes they had to replace the unit. Other times they were able to pull it out - let it dry really well and hook it all back up w/out any problems

Burg...thanks for the response, but thats exactly what the guy said, can't believe it caused all that damage. Anyway, I'm definately going to get a second opinion. The guy I spoke with really doesn't want me to take the car, told be that if I don't leave it there that eventually it will leave me stranded somewhere. Also said that It would be like basically driving a car that's posessed....cause windows will probably roll down by themselves and airbag may deploy...etc. He really did kind of freak me out.

I'll keep ya'll posted....
Old 02-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #5

I would not try to put the heat on and try to dry it your self i would let the dealer do it and do it quick.
the drains for my soft top cloged, and only about 2 -3 feet of pasanger side carpet under the seat got soaked. I pulled the carpet up after 3 days of not knowing and black mold was growing and it did not dry out after 4days of carpet out with a blowdryer and venting it out all day, so get it done right.
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC986

By the way....my insurance company wont cover this.

It may be worth double checking. Your damage could be covered under your comprehensive coverage if the flooding damage was sudden and unexpected. Call your agent and see if he or she can help you. If not check with the Texas Department of Insurance.

Even if it is not covered, your insurance agent or company may be able to recommend a quality repair facility at reasonable repair rates.

I have spent my career in the insurance business.
Cinnimon Brown Interior
[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...terPix3001.jpgIMG]
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #7

Double reply

MAC986-
Well, this changes everything. The car IS running correctly (sort of), I presume from your post. That's good news. Bad news is, the guy is correct and it will (sooner rather than later) leave you stranded somewhere or start acting posessed. Yes windows may roll down automatically, alarm may go off on it's own, horn honk on own, won't start, etc. but I don't think the airbags will deploy unless of course you also get into an accident or hit something really hard.

That being said, I'd get it away from that guy and get it home and try to dry it out on your own. As Porschekid said, you can shampoo and clean the carpets yourself (later), but get it completely dried out first. I'd suggest disconneting the battery (make sure you have your radio code - depending on MY) and pull out the drivers seat. Use a shopvac or bissel spotlifter to get the water out of the carpets and as much as you can away from the control unit. Then get a fan on that area to dry it thoroughly for days (might even put a dehumidifier next to the car?). You can pull the unit itself out and put it directly in front of a fan for a few days too (and another one in the car on the area). When you think it's dry, let it dry a few more days.

Also, I mis-spoke earlier on using another's control unit. I think they only can be used/programmed once. It needs to be programmed by a dealer using a code from your existing one which of course will cost a few $. On a good note, I mis-typed on the cost of a new one. I read somewhere you can get one on-line from sunset for about $250 (not $2500 as listed previously).

Here's a link to the same saga on another boxster for ref.:
http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/2002/Boxster_bath04-03.htm

Good luck and using the link above, make sure your drains are clear and check them periodically too! Hope this helps.

PK-
Yes in 'burgh - N. Hills/Sewickley/Franklin Park area. You?
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i had some water under the carpets as well, but no damage thank god. but just pull thema little and see if there are caps on the bottom. one of mine was missing and anytime i drove trough water it got in the car.
check those so that you dont fix a problem and it happens next time it rains again

good luck, and let us know how it all turns out so that if it happens to anyone else they can get some help
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I have a big hole in my front trunk. Drove over something that puntured it. Took a hammer flattened out the sheet metal and sealed it with silicon.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #10

Update

Okay, here's the latest...turns out that my insurance will cover the damage from the car being flooded. I had talked to my insurance company one time before about the car and the agent told me no, would not be covered. Then when all the details came down from the dealership and the guy explained to the agent what the cause was, they sent over an adjustor that approved it. I can't believe it....it's a frickin miracle. I'm so relieved!

Thanks to all for your responses.....I love this forum, ya'll a great!

Have a great weekend, I know I will now.

MAC
Old 02-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #11

Burg, I sent you a PM.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i had some water under the carpets as well, but no damage thank god. but just pull thema little and see if there are caps on the bottom. one of mine was missing and anytime i drove trough water it got in the car.
check those so that you dont fix a problem and it happens next time it rains again

good luck, and let us know how it all turns out so that if it happens to anyone else they can get some help
Hi,

Good Point. There are three different size rubber plugs on the Boxster, they are all under $10. The PN#s are:

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #13

Hi,

Man considering the havoc which can be caused if the floor gets wet, it's really a good idea to encapsulate the Alarm Module in a watertight container, like a Rubbermaid storage box. Simple - remove Driver Seat, remove alarm module (after disconnecting battery - radio code in-hand where applicable). Use Module as a template to locate holes in the container, drill the holes. Set container on carpet, set Module in container and screw both back down using rubber gaskets to seal the holes. Either leave the top of the container off or cut some louvers into it for cooling. This will allow you to get at least 1-2" of standing water in the cockpit before the Module is endangered, and it won't be at all visible.

Expense - maybe $10, Time to install - maybe 45 min., Potential savings - $3000-$6,000. Pretty good cost/benefit...

Old 02-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #14

So, I guess then the next most important question is does anyone have a diagram that points to the drain holes? I know the advice to check them often is spot on. But in order to do that, it would be good to know where to look.
Z
Trakehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakehner
So, I guess then the next most important question is does anyone have a diagram that points to the drain holes? I know the advice to check them often is spot on. But in order to do that, it would be good to know where to look.
Z

Hi,

Send me a PM w/ your email addy...

Old 02-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #16
bmussatti

Is the 987 susceptible to this potential problem too?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC986
Okay, here's the latest...turns out that my insurance will cover the damage from the car being flooded. I had talked to my insurance company one time before about the car and the agent told me no, would not be covered. Then when all the details came down from the dealership and the guy explained to the agent what the cause was, they sent over an adjustor that approved it. I can't believe it....it's a frickin miracle. I'm so relieved!

Thanks to all for your responses.....I love this forum, ya'll a great!

Have a great weekend, I know I will now.

MAC
Another happy ending.

Cinnimon Brown Interior
[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...terPix3001.jpgIMG]
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote