Thread: Please help
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
Burg Boxster

Double reply

MAC986-
Well, this changes everything. The car IS running correctly (sort of), I presume from your post. That's good news. Bad news is, the guy is correct and it will (sooner rather than later) leave you stranded somewhere or start acting posessed. Yes windows may roll down automatically, alarm may go off on it's own, horn honk on own, won't start, etc. but I don't think the airbags will deploy unless of course you also get into an accident or hit something really hard.

That being said, I'd get it away from that guy and get it home and try to dry it out on your own. As Porschekid said, you can shampoo and clean the carpets yourself (later), but get it completely dried out first. I'd suggest disconneting the battery (make sure you have your radio code - depending on MY) and pull out the drivers seat. Use a shopvac or bissel spotlifter to get the water out of the carpets and as much as you can away from the control unit. Then get a fan on that area to dry it thoroughly for days (might even put a dehumidifier next to the car?). You can pull the unit itself out and put it directly in front of a fan for a few days too (and another one in the car on the area). When you think it's dry, let it dry a few more days.

Also, I mis-spoke earlier on using another's control unit. I think they only can be used/programmed once. It needs to be programmed by a dealer using a code from your existing one which of course will cost a few $. On a good note, I mis-typed on the cost of a new one. I read somewhere you can get one on-line from sunset for about $250 (not $2500 as listed previously).

Here's a link to the same saga on another boxster for ref.:
http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/2002/Boxster_bath04-03.htm

Good luck and using the link above, make sure your drains are clear and check them periodically too! Hope this helps.

PK-
Yes in 'burgh - N. Hills/Sewickley/Franklin Park area. You?
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote