Thread: Please help
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Burg Boxster

Never had it happen and sorry to hear of your troubles. I have no idea on the total cost to replace, but $4-6K seems a bit high. If I recall correctly, a new control unit is somewhere in the $2500 range.

Anyhow, some people have had a similar water problems under drivers seat which caused problems w/ the unit. Most of their water problems were created by blocked drain tubes in the cavity where the soft top resides when down. There are 2 drain tubes, one on each side, that can easily get plugged. I'd say it's a 50/50 split - sometimes they had to replace the unit. Other times they were able to pull it out - let it dry really well and hook it all back up w/out any problems.

I'd explore the idea of getting the vehicle home, putting a fan and some gentle heat on it for 3-4 days to see if it can be saved. You might be out a couple hundred $ for towing, but you'd be way ahead of the $4-6K estimate. Another thought may be to replace w/ a control unit from a salvaged Boxster. Not sure if that will work (and will probably require getting the keys from it along w/ reprograming) but might be worth looking into (and cheaper).

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote