Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #1

what do you do when you see another box?

When I see a Box, which isn't often this time of year, I feel like waving or acknowledging them. Perhaps let my Sexster sniff their butts a little and make friends.

When next to an S, however, I feel a little inferior Like the hot girl who is just too hot for you. Though I'm not sure if they see me as much.

I guess it's almost as if I totally relate to them. I know they are happy driving their Box and they know I'm happy and it's sort of contagious.

LOL you guys will think I'm insane.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #2

I don't think you're insane.

I wave or flash my lights. Others always wave or flash their lights at me too. We're one big happy family full of strangers.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #3

A quick two flash of the lights Autobahn style to any Porsche on the street. My way of saying, "good choice."
Old 02-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I feel obligated to catch up to any other Boxster I see on the road around here and give the driver a thumbs up. One time my dad and I were on the way to a dinner in the Boxster and this 03'+ 986 comes flying by. I being the Boxster fan,dropped it a gear and caught up to him. By the time I caught up to him I was going 100+mph,just staring at his rear diffusers and dual exhaust on his Artic Silver S from a lane to the right. Luckily no one was on the road ahead and my dad is grabbing onto anything he could and he says "Do you do this **************** everytime you see a Porsche? You know the moment you get a ticket I'm yanking you off my insurance."
Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #5

Boxsters are common enough down here year-round that I honestly don't even notice them on the road that often. I've had a few wave exchanges, but generally don't make it my mission in life.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #6

I've seen a few other Boxsters on the road so far. Waved at a couple guys... no response.

One guy in an 80s 911SC waved... one guy in a 968 nodded as he passed the other direction....

It's hit or miss around here. If you get a wave back, it's an enthusiast. If you don't, it's a rich puke that drives a Porsche just because it says Porsche on the hood.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
If you get a wave back, it's an enthusiast. If you don't, it's a rich puke that drives a Porsche just because it says Porsche on the hood.
YES...COULDN"T AGREE MORE
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #8

There are quite a few Boxsters in SoCal, I wouldn't take it personally if they didn't acknowledge back. I definitely wave on twisty roads tho, you know it's an enthusiast up there (it's even moreso when your riding a bike and wave to other bikers).

This car was regarded as a 'trophy wife car' by my friends when I first considered it, but I ignored them because it's such an amazing car overall. Sadly tho, most of the people I see driving them around my area seem to fall into that category

-David N.
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Boxsters are common enough down here year-round that I honestly don't even notice them on the road that often. I've had a few wave exchanges, but generally don't make it my mission in life.

Well, screw you, outcast

Maybe I just haven't noticed the Boxsters until I got my own...I'm sure in the summer they're EVERYWHERE.

But lately I've been seeing more and more of them.

Wow wouldn't it be funny if you acknowledged someone behind you by putting your spoiler up, lol
Old 02-14-2007, 03:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Hi,

Couldn't agree more. They're fairly common up here too.

I didn't buy my Boxster to gain entry into any particular Society or Club (nor do I think I have), I bought it for me. I could care less what others think, who sees me in it, or who I see in another one.

There's an older Black guy somewhere in my general neighborhood who owns a Guards Red 944. Every time he sees me approaching, he begins waving frantically about a block out (almost to the point of being unsafe).

I don't want to know this guy, make friends with him, invite him to Xmas Dinner, nor do I feel obligated to acknowledge him just because he owns a car from the same manufacturer as I. Frankly, he looks like a Dork doing it. But, to each his own...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
I definitely wave on twisty roads tho, you know it's an enthusiast up there (it's even moreso when your riding a bike and wave to other bikers).
Good observation. I love the Porsche blip. In twisties country (which is where I mostly drive mine) I blip my lights to a Porsche and get a blip back 90% of the time (half the time, the other Porsche blips first). We both know why we're there and what we're doing. If it's a DE or a club race weekend at Limerock, there are Porsche blips galore on the country roads in the 30 mile radius around it. As I go to more PCA events I start to even recognize people and Porsches so then the blip replaces a human 'hi'. Most Porsche people I've met there are good, down-to-earth, folks.

In conclusion, if the car (Porsche), road (twisties), and purpose (joy) all meet, the blip exchange is almost guaranteed. To the extent that one, two, or all three of these conditions are not there, the blips become less likely (e.g. a congested highway on the way to work).

Z.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Couldn't agree more. They're fairly common up here too.

I didn't buy my Boxster to gain entry into any particular Society or Club (nor do I think I have), I bought it for me. I could care less what others think, who sees me in it, or who I see in another one.

There's an older Black guy somewhere in my general neighborhood who owns a Guards Red 944. Every time he sees me approaching, he begins waving frantically about a block out (almost to the point of being unsafe).

I don't want to know this guy, make friends with him, invite him to Xmas Dinner, nor do I feel obligated to acknowledge him just because he owns a car from the same manufacturer as I. Frankly, he looks like a Dork doing it. But, to each his own...

Jeeze... so negative.

If you didn't want to belong to a particular community, why are you on these forums?

It is a natural propensity of humans to want to belong to groups which they directly relate to. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:35 AM   #13

If I had to do the waive each time I saw a Porsche in my area, I would devolope Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I usually waive back to the folks that waive at me. Every once and a while I initiate a waive. It doesnt bother me at all.

I can't stand when every kid in a hopped up Subaru or Honda chases me down and thinks that I want to race. I'm not interested.... save your gas money kids you'll need it for your next "ricey" mod.

By the way, 3 inches of ice on the ground, car stranded at my office.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:16 AM   #14

Mnboxster, I'm not sure where you are seeing all these boxsters in the twin cities b/c I am certainly not. Pretty much don't see any over the winter and maybe one a month in the summer.

...and I do wave and actually get excited to see another one.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
Mnboxster, I'm not sure where you are seeing all these boxsters in the twin cities b/c I am certainly not. Pretty much don't see any over the winter and maybe one a month in the summer.

...and I do wave and actually get excited to see another one.

That's the spirit
Old 02-14-2007, 05:33 AM   #16

Quote:
I can't stand when every kid in a hopped up Subaru or Honda chases me down and thinks that I want to race. I'm not interested.... save your gas money kids you'll need it for your next "ricey" mod.
That's funny. I get the same thing everytime I go out, with the new mustangs as well. There was a time where I couldn't pass them up, but it no longer bothers me to let them think they would have won or I was scared.

If they slow back down to try and egg me on, then I try to make sure they see me laughing madly at them while shaking my head. Kind of being a jerk I know, but usually it gets them to floor and drive madly away one more time which is even more amusing.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:43 AM   #17

Nobody has wanted to race me yet.

Oh, just one guy in some riced out...well, I'm not sure what it used to be, but some ricey car.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 AM   #18

I wave to pretty much any Porsche. Most people wave back or wave before I can. Nothing wrong with being friendly.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #19

Hell yea I even point them out while my GF and I are driving around looking for a new home. I know of one 97-99 thats is very close to me that was hit by a falling tree from our last wind storm. It has been like this for 3-4 months and I will give this guy till mid summer before I bring home another stray....

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Jeeze... so negative.

If you didn't want to belong to a particular community, why are you on these forums?

It is a natural propensity of humans to want to belong to groups which they directly relate to. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Hi,

Enough with the Psycho-babble, it's not negative at all.

I bought the car - not the nameplate or the so-called Community. It doesn't matter one whit to me that it's a Porsche. Give me the same car, styling, handling, with a Yugo badge (or any other) on the hood and I'm there (except maybe for the China-Doll engine). Wasn't it you who pointed out that it's about the power and handling?

I've owned several equally, or even more prestigeous, Hood Badges in my time. To me a Porsche isn't a Porsche, it's just a car. There are numerous Porsche models which i have absolutely no desire to own.

Granted, the same may not be true of all others. Many (I suspect even many here) bought the car exactly because of the Community, the Nameplate, what it says to others about who they are. That they wanted to be included in such a percieved group. Also, it's been my experience (not just now, but through the years) that as a group Porsche owners tend to know a lot less about cars than owners of several other performance marques. Certainly not all, I'm not making that assertion, but many more than I've found in Jaguars, Ferraris, Lotus, maybe even Mustangs and Vettes. That's OK too, not positive or negative, just OK.

But, if you must know, I am on these forums because I chose to be. To learn from others and help others learn about these cars. Not because merely owning this car somehow obligates me to buy into other people's sense of Community...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-14-2007 at 08:00 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote