Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #41

I have never waved at a guy in a Porsche or any other car actually.

I let my engine do the talking

Old 02-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #42

First i make sure they aren't drinking a latte or talking on their cell.. Then a brief wave or flash of the lights. Sadly, the Boxster is owned by a large number of non-enthusiasts who simply look puzzled why i acknoledge them. 356/914/Aircooled 911s - always get something
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
You just made my point. You go to other forums to serve your purpose, yet you still come here to a group of people which you have a common ground with.

No one said that it was an obligation, nor did they even suggest that.

All I am saying is not to act like you are the exception here and you aren't here for the same reason the rest of us are.

Hi,

Pretzel Logic...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #44

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
MNBoxster would be a terrible farmer cause he doesnt wave... J/K Chances are that Jim has been a farmer and owned a dairy, creamery, chicken coop and slaugther house and would school me on the subject

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Pretzel Logic...

If that makes you feel better about the plain truth right in front of you.

"I own a Porsche Boxster and I am actually an active member on a Porsche Boxster forum, but I am in no way part of ANY COMMUNITY associated w/ Porsche Boxsters."

Hard to deny the facts.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
MNBoxster would be a terrible farmer cause he doesnt wave... J/K Chances are that Jim has been a farmer and owned a dairy, creamery, chicken coop and slaugther house and would school me on the subject
Hi,

I would be a terrible farmer. I'm a City Kid through and through. If I don't have concrete beneath my feet at least once a day, I get a rash...

Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #47

Quote:
If that makes you feel better about the plain truth right in front of you.

"I own a Porsche Boxster and I am actually an active member on a Porsche Boxster forum, but I am in no way part of ANY COMMUNITY associated w/ Porsche Boxsters."

Hard to deny the facts.
Hi,

It is hard to deny the facts, if there were any that is.

A couple hours ago you wrote: "...However, you relate to the people here because of the car you have, and for that, you joined in the community..."

So, WTF are you talking about? Like I said: "Pretzel Logic"...

Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
ok guys....
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #49

Quote:
Hi,

It is hard to deny the facts, if there were any that is.

A couple hours ago you wrote: "...However, you relate to the people here because of the car you have, and for that, you joined in the community..."

So, WTF are you talking about? Like I said: "Pretzel Logic"...

Does that statement in any way contradict any statements I made AFTERWARDS?

You're right. You don't own a Boxster. You aren't an active member on a Boxster forum.

Forgive me. I have no clue where I got those ideas from.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #50

Personally, I don't blame MNBoxster a bit. I don't wave either. This forum is great, but there's no "Brotherhood of Boxster Owners" out there. Certainly not like with Motorcycles or Harley's in particular. Those, I wave to. Those guys I'll meet and talk to for hours. Porsche owners - not so much.

And, from recent posts - I think I know why....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Personally, I don't blame MNBoxster a bit. I don't wave either. This forum is great, but there's no "Brotherhood of Boxster Owners" out there. Certainly not like with Motorcycles or Harley's in particular. Those, I wave to. Those guys I'll meet and talk to for hours. Porsche owners - not so much.

And, from recent posts - I think I know why....

There's no brotherhood of Boxsters because of the fact certain owners either don't care or don't care to wave back.

If you just don't give a crap, that's cool, but if you like "brotherhoods" as you indicated you do, there's no reason to not be friendly.

How can there ever be a brotherhood if people act like that...just don't get it.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #52

Quote:
There's no brotherhood of Boxsters because of the fact certain owners either don't care or don't care to wave back.

If you just don't give a crap, that's cool, but if you like "brotherhoods" as you indicated you do, there's no reason to not be friendly.

How can there ever be a brotherhood if people act like that...just don't get it.
Hi,

God, let it go! You state that you are not a member of a Community ( "...but I am in no way part of ANY COMMUNITY associated w/ Porsche Boxsters." ), but that I am, just because of the car I bought?

Just because DenverPete believes in the Brotherhood of Harley Riders in no way can be construed that he believes (or ought to - not free to do otherwise) in all Brotherhoods.

You concede the concept of Free Will (..."If you just don't give a crap, that's cool"...), but then you infer all sorts of negativity with labels of unfriendly and such if one actually chooses something different than you.

It is not at all unfriendly not to reciprocate the jesture of a stranger, just because they're driving the same car. It that were true, you'd also be unfriendly for each passing Buick you didn't wave to as well.

Many people like and enjoy the solitude and isolation they get when driving in their car, a controlled environment, anonymous to the world around them. It could be equally unfriendly of you to wave at them and violate their private space or quiet time, ever think of that?

I'm not saying not to wave at all, what I am saying is that it is up to the individual with no obligation to act one way or the other. And, if you believe that, you must respect their right and not call them names if they choose the opposite of you. But, I think you're now just arguing for the sake of argument, so respond if you like or not. I'm moving to other threads...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-14-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #53

I'll go out of my way to acknowledge a 987 or Cayman owner because we're relatively few in number and are "brothers" (even though the Cayman is in my mind the "red-headed" stepchild). Any other member of the Porsche family, including the 986 (except for white ones !), I just don't feel that much of a bond with but it's not elitist and shouldn't be taken personally.

Judging from reciprocation I think other 987 owners feel the same way. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's very rare for 987 owners to see each other and not acknowledge each other, conditions permitting, even in the "too cool to wave" state of California.

In a similar situation I'm betting that Z4 owners, which are a pretty tight group, don't flash Z3 owners nearly as much as they do each other.

As a counterpoint SLK owners seem to be uninterested in acknowledging each other, and would never acknowledge owners of the previous generation SLK on account of that car car being such a piece of mierde.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 02-14-2007 at 03:19 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #54

I wave.
I get funny looks.
Could it be because I'm in my minivan?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #55

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster

Dude Carlos after spending most of last Saturday morning at the meet with you I can totally picture exactly how you would say that. Thats why I think Jim took it wayyy to kindly....HAHHAHA YOU KILL ME.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #56

turn that frown upside down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
I don't expect people to wave back. If they do... cool. If not... I could really care less. I understand not everyone see's you waving, knows why you are waving, or has time to react. But if you see someone waving, know why they are waving, and have made a conscious decision to not wave back... you ARE being unfriendly. That's like someone complimenting your car or giving you a thumbs up and purposely blowing them off. To have to justify not giving a small gesture of good-will when given the opportunity is pretty messed up in my opinion.

+1 who doesn't have 'time' to wave back (even raise a finger)?

Either:

1. you didnt see them wave: then you really should pay more attention to other traffic in your vicinity. An old driving coach told me that I should notice every detail possible from the team logo on a baseball cap to a scratch on the front spoiler (N.B. if you genuinely didn't notice a wave then obviously this does not apply).

or...
2. you are choosing not to acknowledge: get off your high horse and play the game of life! Who doesn't need more friends? Who wants to disrupt the natural human tendancy to bond? I love it... or is it too much effort to waive a finger (I am sure you would do it if they cut you off

here is me trying to wave on the 986 board :insert wave smilie:

One time I waved at a Box and the contents revealed a stunning blonde whom was highly appreciative of my similar ride, and compliment. Stop car, exchange digits... done deal.

to all!

T
Old 02-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #57

Quote:
Hi,

God, let it go! You state that you are not a member of a Community ( "...but I am in no way part of ANY COMMUNITY associated w/ Porsche Boxsters." ), but that I am, just because of the car I bought?
This is clearly a misunderstanding. I meant you are not necessarily a part of community. As you said, you've chosen to be a part of it. I never said otherwise, was merely reminding you that you have joined the community despite acting as if you were in no way a part of a community based on your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnboxster
Just because DenverPete believes in the Brotherhood of Harley Riders in no way can be construed that he believes (or ought to - not free to do otherwise) in all Brotherhoods.
Thanks for establishing that. The point was that if you indeed approve of brotherhoods based on possessions such as bikes, then you are not the type of person who "doesn't give a crap", you obviously give a crap about that type of thing, so why not do it w/ car owners also?

Quote:
You concede the concept of Free Will (..."If you just don't give a crap, that's cool"...), but then you infer all sorts of negativity with labels of unfriendly and such if one actually chooses something different than you.
No sir. I never said you can't be unfriendly. Point was, if you are so against a community or "brotherhood", shall we say again, why are you here?

You're making many assumptions.

Quote:
It is not at all unfriendly not to reciprocate the jesture of a stranger, just because they're driving the same car. It that were true, you'd also be unfriendly for each passing Buick you didn't wave to as well.
If they waved to me and I didn't wave back, then yes, but your analogy isn't comparable unless the guy in the Buick was waving to me first.

You can even take that a step further and say, "Why shouldn't all men wave to each other?"

Because people who merely drive cars are plenty, as are males, and being one or the other doesn't necessarily mean you and I share a common interest. It's not specific enough to make that assumption.

On the contrary, if you own a Porsche Boxster and I own a Porsche Boxster, it's likely that our interests are similar and for that I may acknowledge you. It may not be true always, but it's certainly much more likely.

Quote:
Many people like and enjoy the solitude and isolation they get when driving in their car, a controlled environment, anonymous to the world around them. It could be equally unfriendly of you to wave at them and violate their private space or quiet time, ever think of that?
Uh, when you're in public, no, it's not violating anything. If they were in their house and I knocked on their door to bother them, then yes, I can see that. Or for that matter, if I even went up to their car while they were in it.

So ... can waving to your neighbor who is out shoveling snow be construed as unfriendly and in violation of his personal space just because he is on his property?

If that's what you think...

Quote:
I'm not saying not to wave at all, what I am saying is that it is up to the individual with no obligation to act one way or the other. And, if you believe that, you must respect their right and not call them names if they choose the opposite of you. But, I think you're now just arguing for the sake of argument, so respond if you like or not. I'm moving to other threads...

You totally misunderstood me.

I pointed out the contradiction between being against communities based on specific car ownership and being a part of this community based on car ownership.

It's honestly as simple as that. I called you NO NAMES at all, nor did I think any during this entire dispute!!!

Maybe I wasn't clear. But that is exactly what I meant. Nothing more or less.

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 02-14-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvered
+1 who doesn't have 'time' to wave back (even raise a finger)?

Either:

1. you didnt see them wave: then you really should pay more attention to other traffic in your vicinity. An old driving coach told me that I should notice every detail possible from the team logo on a baseball cap to a scratch on the front spoiler (N.B. if you genuinely didn't notice a wave then obviously this does not apply).

or...
2. you are choosing not to acknowledge: get off your high horse and play the game of life! Who doesn't need more friends? Who wants to disrupt the natural human tendancy to bond? I love it... or is it too much effort to waive a finger (I am sure you would do it if they cut you off

here is me trying to wave on the 986 board :insert wave smilie:

One time I waved at a Box and the contents revealed a stunning blonde whom was highly appreciative of my similar ride, and compliment. Stop car, exchange digits... done deal.

to all!

T

Did that really happen? Wow.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #59

I hate when you guys go off track with the naaaaaagggggggiiiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggggg
and now i don't remember the question.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual

Last edited by Franco; 02-15-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #60

Send a message via AIM to 7th gear
pretty long thread guys but i have to admit i really admire the boxster passion .... quite the one of intensity.....

i'm wondering when i was in college admiring/drooling as i walked by the porsche dealership if any of the boxster girls would've waved back at me??

pca member
7th gear is offline   Reply With Quote