View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #20
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Jeeze... so negative.

If you didn't want to belong to a particular community, why are you on these forums?

It is a natural propensity of humans to want to belong to groups which they directly relate to. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Hi,

Enough with the Psycho-babble, it's not negative at all.

I bought the car - not the nameplate or the so-called Community. It doesn't matter one whit to me that it's a Porsche. Give me the same car, styling, handling, with a Yugo badge (or any other) on the hood and I'm there (except maybe for the China-Doll engine). Wasn't it you who pointed out that it's about the power and handling?

I've owned several equally, or even more prestigeous, Hood Badges in my time. To me a Porsche isn't a Porsche, it's just a car. There are numerous Porsche models which i have absolutely no desire to own.

Granted, the same may not be true of all others. Many (I suspect even many here) bought the car exactly because of the Community, the Nameplate, what it says to others about who they are. That they wanted to be included in such a percieved group. Also, it's been my experience (not just now, but through the years) that as a group Porsche owners tend to know a lot less about cars than owners of several other performance marques. Certainly not all, I'm not making that assertion, but many more than I've found in Jaguars, Ferraris, Lotus, maybe even Mustangs and Vettes. That's OK too, not positive or negative, just OK.

But, if you must know, I am on these forums because I chose to be. To learn from others and help others learn about these cars. Not because merely owning this car somehow obligates me to buy into other people's sense of Community...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-14-2007 at 08:00 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote