Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2024, 08:44 AM   #1

Angry 98 Boxster - Multiple Codes P1130,P1531,P0446,1124,P1126

Hi everyone,

I need your expert advice and guidance in figuring out the main issue with my Porsche Boxster.

Modes - 986 Boxster
Year - 1998
Milages - 38,000

Current projects - Competed
* Mass Air flow sensor cleaned
* Throttle body cleaned
* Changed bank 1 & bank 2 O2 sensor after the Catalytic convertor.

I have the following codes on the car. I'm not sure what this main issue is. I need your advice to where to start.

Codes - P0446,P1124,P1126,P1130, & P1531

Thanks!

AK986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK986 View Post
Hi everyone,

I need your expert advice and guidance in figuring out the main issue with my Porsche Boxster.

Modes - 986 Boxster
Year - 1998
Milages - 38,000

Current projects - Competed
* Mass Air flow sensor cleaned
* Throttle body cleaned
* Changed bank 1 & bank 2 O2 sensor after the Catalytic convertor.

I have the following codes on the car. I'm not sure what this main issue is. I need your advice to where to start.

Codes - P0446,P1124,P1126,P1130, & P1531

Thanks!
P 0446 EVAP cannister purge valve below limit, purge air line blocked.
P 1124 & 1126 Fuel air mixture too lean (both banks), possible intake air leak
P 1130 Overly lean condition, intake leak
P 1531 cam timing active, but no positive position (it isn't working) bank 1
Old 07-02-2024, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
P 0446 EVAP cannister purge valve below limit, purge air line blocked.
P 1531 cam timing active, but no positive position (it isn't working) bank 1

Thank you for replying with the feedback.

I ordered a smoke leak detector which should arrive tomorrow. I hope it will resolve for follow 3 codes once i determine where the air leak is at.

I have gotten code P1530 as well, which is short in the wire possibly. Now it's starting with P1531. Do you think it would be short in the wire since the mileage on the car is 38K for the solenoid to go back?

Also, do you recommend anything for check the EVAP value?
Old 07-03-2024, 07:32 AM   #4

When it comes to wiring issues, the 38K miles is meaningless, but the fact that the car is 26 years old is. The wire used in these cars was "environmentally friendly" but has been found to be the favorite chow of things like rodents. It also has a propensity to crack, particularly around hot areas.

As for the VarioCam actuators, you can disconnect the one on bank #1 and test it with a 9V battery; you should hear it click when it moves (engine off). If it doesn't, it could be the actuator itself. You can also test the entire harness and actuators by testing them with a Porsche specific diagnostic tool like the Durametric system.

It is either the valve itself, or the hose leading to it is blocked. You can blow the hose out (after disconnecting both ends) with compressed air, and the valve can be bench tested to make sure it works properly.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-03-2024 at 07:34 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
When it comes to wiring issues, the 38K miles is meaningless, but the fact that the car is 26 years old is. The wire used in these cars was "environmentally friendly" but has been found to be the favorite chow of things like rodents. It also has a propensity to crack, particularly around hot areas.

As for the VarioCam actuators, you can disconnect the one on bank #1 and test it with a 9V battery; you should hear it click when it moves (engine off). If it doesn't, it could be the actuator itself. You can also test the entire harness and actuators by testing them with a Porsche specific diagnostic tool like the Durametric system.

It is either the valve itself, or the hose leading to it is blocked. You can blow the hose out (after disconnecting both ends) with compressed air, and the valve can be bench tested to make sure it works properly.
The wiring on the car is in pretty good shape. However, I will definitely perform the 9V battery test on the solenoid. Additionally, there is an issue with the rear wing as well. it used to open at high speed but not with the switch. I wonder if the issues could be with in cluster as well?
Old 07-03-2024, 08:53 AM   #6

Possible, but you will need to run electrical diagnostics to find out.
Old 07-04-2024, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK986 View Post
I wonder if the issues could be with in cluster as well?
Without a Durametric or an equivalent diagnostic tool you're walking around blind without a cane.
5-speed manual
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 05:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
Without a Durametric or an equivalent diagnostic tool you're walking around blind without a cane.
I have the Foxwell NT501 scanner. What reading should I look for?

I tried the 9V battery test yesterday. I heard it click just once and when I looked for a closed loop in connection with multimeter, I had a reading .04 Oms
Old 07-05-2024, 06:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Possible, but you will need to run electrical diagnostics to find out.
Yesterday, I did the smoke test, and there were no leaks. I started it from the intake filter, and then separately did from the AOS hose in tot he intake Manifold, directly into the AOS.

While doing that, i saw the power steering reservoir was empty and the drain line was rippled. I installed a new longer line.

I cleaned the MAF sensor again. If it comes up again, then I think it could be the MAF sensor.

P0446 - code came back on again. I'm going to open the canister and see if the value is stuck. I tried the scanner and EVAP does open and close.

P1531 - came back on.