Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2023, 07:19 PM   #1

Oil level indicator

Hello, I have a '98 Boxster and the dash display has always showed the oil level. I recently got the car back from having it repainted (which is a long story) but now when I start up the car, I see the instrument cluster start to show the oil level for a split second and then goes blank. How should I go about debugging this? If the sensor connector comes loose, is this the behavior? Thanks in advance - I did a search but didn't find anything specific to this.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:03 AM   #2

I too have a '98 Boxster and I've noticed IF I pause momentarily at the accessory notch (all the dash instruments and radio come "alive") the oil level usually displays for about 10-15 seconds.
However, I've also noticed that occasionally it doesn't , but only occasionally.

Now that you posted, I'll try to keep a closer eye on it and report back......but mine is not an everyday driver so it might be a few days for that report.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:13 AM   #3

Garage
There is a page in the owners manual that explains the oil level gauge operation.

The gauge will read if/when the key is in the accessory position, it goes out when the engine is started. There is a variable countdown period before the gauge displays the oil level.
If the engine is warm and has been recently run it can take a couple minutes before you get a reading. Mine gives a reading quickly on a cold start after all the oil has drained back into the engine, but takes some time if the engine is hot.

If you just turn your key without stopping in the ACC position you would likely not see the oil level gauge and countdown timer.

Last edited by A8ked; 09-28-2023 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Typo
A8ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:48 AM   #4

A8ked.......
You said it much better than I did in a prior post. It's all about pausing at the accessory "notch" (so to speak). I'm sure most don't pause and just turn the key quickly to start the car. Once the engine has been driven around for a while the oil level tends to stay displayed for a bit longer even after the engine has been restarted.

Excellent advice to refer to the Owner's Manual.....lots of stuff in there that many aren't aware of.