Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2023, 06:18 PM   #1

Seat Switch

I have a 99 986 with 8 way power seats. The passenger seat switch lever/button that moves the seat forward/back and up/down does not feel like it is sitting on the switch. I know that the switch works because if I really mess around with it, I can get the seat to move forward and back. It feels like there is a spring missing or something because there is no resistance in the lever. I know that Porsche will want to sell me a new switch but is there any way to repair it if I can get it off? I don't see where there are individual parts available for the switch, so if there is something missing, where can I find the parts to fix it?

Rick_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:01 PM   #2

It is repairable and there are small springs involved for the switch movement. I went through this episode last year. you can remove the switch levers and switch cover and see the mechanisms. After removing the cover, try the switch mechanisms to see if the seat moves and the mechanism returns to a neutral state. If you are lucky enough that things work, it means the switch levers were not seated correctly onto the switches.

If you have to disassemble further, be very aware that the switch springs and mechanism like to come apart and fly everywhere. Can be difficult to put back in place. Also, make sure to remove the fuse for the seat switches...its easy to short them out while messing with them.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.! The other problem that I have is that the seat is in the lowest position, so removing the cover is going to require me to remove the two white plastic latches under the seat to be able to lift the bottom of the seat up high enough to remove the screws on the seat cover. I assume the you have to remove the cover to be able to remove the lever? I also assume that if I am missing any springs or any other parts that my only options are to replace the switch or find a non working switch for parts? I don’t see where Porsche sells anything but a new switch.

Rick_22 is offline   Reply With Quote