Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2023, 05:59 AM   #1

2.5L tip fluid change

Can anyone recommend a good kit that would include the fluid, gasket and filter I would use to replace the tiptronic fluid in my 99.
The car is for street driving and lives a pretty peaceful existence.
Thanks.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 09:15 AM   #2

Garage
I`m doing this now. I bought the fluid and the filter from ********************************: Pentosin ATF, Automatic Transmission Fluid; 5 Liter; Synthetic SKU: 1285578-1058206, plus ZF Auto Trans Filter Kit, $173 in total. The kit includes the gasket, drain and refill plug as well. I bought a pump at O`Riley but I haven`t used it yet.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 09:52 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I had a Tip that was low on fluid after being swapped across a couple engines. New filter went on a couple years ago (under 3000 miles) so I didn't replace it, but just drained and added some fluid.
Here's a copy of what I posted on another forum. Don't be like me:

...Automatic transmission service on the Xbox yesterday. For the refill, you pump fluid in the drain hole until it comes out, then plug it, start the car and shift through gears, wait until the temp is 30C to 35C, then pull the plug and pump in more fluid until it comes out again. If it gets too hot before you are done, stop and cool it back down.

I wore gloves, but ended up with fluid running to my elbows.

16 quart drain pan with 36"x24" cardboard underneath and still splattered fluid on the floor.

The cheap hand pumps didn't have an elbow type tip on them. At first everything I pumped in splashed back at me. I had to hold the bottle of fluid+the pump+the end of the hose in the transmission while pumping. The pump came apart.

I rebuilt the pump with an old one that I should have thrown away. I made a 90 degree elbow tip out of a vacuum hose fitting. By the time I was ready to pump again the transmission was too hot.

A box fan blowing on the transmission took an hour to get it back in range.

Laying in a puddle of transmission fluid I tried again. The reassembled pump jammed.

I switched from a pump like the one pictured on the left to an orange one like on the right. Trying to hold it all and pump was difficult, but possible - until the bottle tipped over and spilled most of the fluid on the floor. The transmission was too hot again by then anyway.

Plug it, Box fan, wipe up mess, wash, fresh clothes, lunch ...Autozone for more fluid.

I had run out of ZF Lifeguard fluid, but know that Valvoline Maxlife meets the spec. There was a sign on the Autozone shelf "2 quarts for $16" which was a $4 savings. At the counter I looked at the receipt. Wrong charge. The manager went to check and came back with the sale sign. "This sale ended a week ago", she said. The counter clerk looked at me with silent words "Just go away now sir." No. Void the sale and give me my money, I'm done with this store, thank you.

Nearby I bought a gallon of Valvoline from O'Reilly.

Back at the car, I did what I should have done at the beginning. I dumped the fluid into my Motive brake bleeder bottle, pressurized the bottle and pumped in the fluid through the 90 degree vacuum fitting. Smooth, simple, the car shifts better than ever now.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:54 AM   #4

Garage
Smile

Make sure you can loosen the refill screw BEFORE you remove the drain screw to drain the transmission pan.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:03 AM   #5

Garage
Actually the kit at PelicanParts looks like a good buy https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/102043011.htm?pn=10-2043-011-M103&bc=c&SVSVSI= Add fluid of your choice that meets the specification.
Links to other places usually don't work. Here's an example of where I often buy stuff:

Last edited by 78F350; 04-19-2023 at 10:16 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 12:35 PM   #6

Is there a fluid I can get at an autozone?
Not cheating out, I just rather not deal with shipping.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2023, 12:50 PM   #7

Pentosin atf 44 fully synthetic auto tranny fluid work?
Old 04-19-2023, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Pentosin atf 44 fully synthetic auto tranny fluid work?
NO! Pentosin aft 44 is dextron III GM type and is the wrong fluid........
Old 04-19-2023, 03:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
NO! Pentosin aft 44 is dextron III GM type and is the wrong fluid........
Glad I asked. Recommendation. I called local dealership and they want 72 per liter.
Thanks.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #10

Garage
According to the transmission manufacturer The specification is "ESSO LT 71141" for the transmission fluid.

The fluid that meets that spec that is stocked at my local stores is Valvoline Maxlife Fulll Synthetic.

The applications list from Valvoline specifically lists the Tiptronic transmission in your car:

Not saying it's the best, but it works fine and should be easy to get in most places.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:22 PM   #11

Manual just says SAE 75 W 90
Old 04-19-2023, 04:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
According to the transmission manufacturer The specification is "ESSO LT 71141" for the transmission fluid.

The fluid that meets that spec that is stocked at my local stores is Valvoline Maxlife Fulll Synthetic.

The applications list from Valvoline specifically lists the Tiptronic transmission in your car:

Not saying it's the best, but it works fine and should be easy to get in most places.
Perfect, thank you very much. I’ll get looking.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:43 PM   #13

According to our sponsor,

Pentosin ATF6 is compatible. Is that not correct?
Old 04-19-2023, 07:48 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Pentosin ATF6 is compatible. Is that not correct?
I hope it is, that`s what I have.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote