Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 06:24 AM   #1

Detailing

Boy, that was the best 200.00 I have spent on my Boxster (and I have spent a lot!). I have been reading a number of threads on how to take care of the finish on our cars. I finally broke down and got the Griot's machine polish and wax kit that includes their new polisher and everything you need to do the job.

I am new to this take care of the car finish game. When I got my 2000 Boxster last summer I thought the best thing that one could do for a great finish was to wash and then wax the car. I ended up getting the Griot's kit because it had everything I needed to do the job.

So for the last few days I have been washing, dewaxing, claying, polishing and waxing the car. Wow, the finish is remarkable, smooth, depth of color, like a whole new car to me, what fun. I tried to take some photos, but I am not sure if they give a sense of the shine on the car.

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:41 AM   #2

Nice results! Nothing quite so nice as a shiny clean Boxster and the pride of knowing you did it yourself...
Old 11-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #3

yes, very nice. Silver shows the lines of any car better than any other color, I think. I also got the Griot's system a few years ago. i have long since moved to what I think are better application products, but the random orbital just keeps on chugging along.

I know you can buy the Griot's orbital much cheaper elsewhere(they OEM it), but i had never used one before and was very concerned.

The extra money was worth it in customer support. I talked to Griot's folks several times and those folks really know cars and how to use their products.

A Great company to do business with!
2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
kls

I just got the Griott's random orbital and although there's no problem with it, I didn't find much advantage. I am using Zaino's and tried the machine for the Z5 to remove swirls, and it didn't seem to do any better than by hand. The Z2 goes on quickly by hand, and the machine uses more of polish.

kls is offline   Reply With Quote