Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #1

Miscellaneous questions

1) I ordered rear speakers from PNP for my 2000 Boxster; I have 2 old amps (Sony xm-21+xm-41) from an old stereo. They both have some kind of 10 pin round connector. Is it worth it to try to use one of these, and how would I hook up?
2) Should I fill the speaker cavity with loose pillow filling, something else, or keep empty?
3) Should I wire speaker harness through right side of tunnel i/o the door sill (seems easier and no need to disconnect battery), and does anyone have instructions for doing so?
4) I was trying to pick up switched 12 volts and ground from the fuse box for a radar detector and was trying to find an easy way of doing this. As you can tell, I'm not very good at this stuff.
Thanks in advance for the help.

milist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:24 AM   #2

#4 - What year is your car? There should be a phone connector behind the center console with ground, +12V and IGN connections. You can buy a connector from Becker for it but it really is pointless, it's easier to just tap in to the wires or cut off the existing connector.

#3 - I'd go down behind the carpet over the engine cover (behind the seats) and tuck it under the tunnel to get to the front.

Where around Boston are you? I'm about 30 miles north on the NH line.

Chris.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:36 AM   #3

#3 Check out these instructions: http://www.pelicanparts.com//techarticles/box_rear_speakers/box_rear_speakers.htm

I wired my Harvey kit this way and was pleased with the result. Everything is out of the way.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #4

I also used the instructions that Kevin links to. Worked quite well, but 2 warnings: (1) you have to disconnect the battery if you have side airbags (my 01 does, not sure if you do), (2) YOU ONLY GET 1 SHOT WHEN CREATING YOUR RADIO PLUG - be sure you have the wiring correct.

Also, I studied the wiring diagram and I'm pretty sure I have mine on the proper plugs, but I wasn't very impressed with the sound these speakers make. Even when I adjust the radio to that particular speaker, not much sound. I realize they aren't the worlds biggest speakers, but I was hoping for more sound. Any ideas, or are they not that good?

Terry
husker boxster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Also, I studied the wiring diagram and I'm pretty sure I have mine on the proper plugs, but I wasn't very impressed with the sound these speakers make. Even when I adjust the radio to that particular speaker, not much sound. I realize they aren't the worlds biggest speakers, but I was hoping for more sound. Any ideas, or are they not that good?

Terry
As you imply, the numbers on that plug telling you which wires went where were almost impossible to read. I had to use a magnifying glass and the help of a young person with better eyesight than I have. It wouldn't be beyond the realm of probablity that you have them wired wrong. I think you can release the connectors with a jeweler's screwdriver if you want to take another shot at it.

In my car the PNP speaker give the sound more "space". Instead of sounding like the music is coming from the dash, it seems to surround you. If I fade the speakers completely to the rear, they don't sound great on their own.

What year is your car? Do you have the door speaker?

The PNP speakers are an improvement, but they don't make the basic Becker radio sound great. Maybe "tolerable" is more accurate.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 11-26-2006 at 04:01 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:

"What year is your car? Do you have the door speaker?"

I have a 2001 S with the CR-220 radio. It does have the door speakers. I was just looking thru my Porsche Radio Owners Manual and there is a nice diagram of the socket values on page 28. I agree with you, the diagram that came with the speakers was very taxing on the eyes.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is online now   Reply With Quote