Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
ISSIMI

top motor cable issue

when diagnosing the top motor cable using a drill independent of any attachments, should the cable spin freely? mine locks up or there is an audible clicking sound met with resistance for each click.

I checked the transmission gears and the white plastic looks good. Didn't fully disassemble for fears of forgetting how to put it back together.

My main issue is top did not want to close on drivers side. when operating the top there is a loud grinding sound. when removing the drivers side cable from the motor the operation sound goes back to normal.

BTW has anyone tried brand name URO top motor cables? Theres a deal right now on amazon for them

Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
Been through this on a number of boxsters and every time It was cables fail, not gears or motor.. The cable runs smooth, no clicking at all. I’ve used the uro cables and they were the same as stock. I would just go for it. The mechanism is a simple yet ingenious little system once you figure it out. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:31 PM   #3

get two new cables and move on. Not expensive, even for oem.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:26 PM   #4

Garage
I changed the gears regreased and then bought new cables. Easy fix . Clicking gone top works better than before.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
ISSIMI

Great! so it was the cable.

I'm putting everything back together now. After aligning the notches on the transmission is there anything specific i have to do when installing the "boomerang" to the transmissions and attaching the roof/clamshell to it?
Old 01-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #6
ISSIMI

I got it all back together for anyone wondering. Lining up the notches on the transmissions was all I needed to do. Reinstalled everything in reverse order. My roof latch was open but near close position. Attached the roof first to the "boomerang" than attached the clamshell. Just adjust the clamshell to get the attachment in. Surprised everything went well first try.

Clamshell now sits flush. If it wasn't for the drivers side being raised slightly I would have left it manual. Saves about 20lbs