Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 06:42 AM   #61
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
well sure summer tires are fine on clear roads in the winter, but do you think that you can drive in snow with those summer tires.....i think not, you'll be dead!!!

i once drove out my garage, beutiful winter day, cold has hell. 10 mins later got stuck in a snow strom that suddenly began, and my car was all over the road. who cares about the cold, its when it starts to freeze, and snowwwww hits the streets.
True, I don't normally drive the car when there's snow outside, but around here, they throw salt all over the road, so it's clear relatively quickly. Also, I've been up to Toronto before, and it gets COOOOOOOOLD up there! Very beautiful city though.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #62

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i drove mine w those summer tires, and man 315s are freaking wide, no traction for sht, but u still manage to drive it if u have some experience. i did pretty good i must say, not one thing hit, it was a different car too couse there was no weight at all in the back, so im 100% sure the box will do fine

i mean cmon, germany get snow, they built a year round car, so ill drive it that way. i didnt pay all this money to be leaving it in the garage, if i wanted that i woulda gotten me some 4x4 and a nice porsche poster to look at in the garage
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #63

I stored my car October 1 and waiting for the first snow storm to arrive.

KronixSpeed, Lets hope winter will be a short one.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:58 AM   #64

As of yesterday, mine's officially oil changed, washed, waxed, fuel-topped, StaBil added, tires pumped, battery out, garage floor tarped, car covered, desiccant inside, moth balls around car, i.e. STORED.
Have yet to deal with the fact.

Z.

Last edited by z12358; 11-20-2006 at 06:00 AM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 AM   #65

Luckily I no longer have to store mine for the winter with my relocation. But, one advantage I remember from storing vehicles in my previous location was that first drive every spring was just like driving it for the first time again! Always a big thrill to look forward to through the long months of winter!!

Ok, Ok, I know....it is still better to be able to drive it year round. I'm just trying to make these poor guys feel better.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:18 AM   #66

Not on the west coast :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
It must suck living in Canada. hahahaha!!!!! :dance:
I live outside Vancouver and the weather here is like Seattle. We'll get a lot of rain and maybe a few days of snow this winter. Last winter, I only kept my Box in the garage for a week when we had some snow. I waited until the next rain to wash away the salt that the city spread and drove it the rest of the season.

I love this car too much not to drive it EVERY DAY THAT I CAN!!
Old 11-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #67

Ugh... It's suppose to possibly reach the 60's this week and my Nicole is decommissioned until March...

Thanks Jump as your post did make me feel better!

Oh well, I'll just roll down the windows in my truck and drive like Ace Ventura...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #68

The way I see it, it's about the seasons and about mixing it up.
You store your skis for the summer, you store your swim shorts for the winter. For me, dosage and anticipation matter. (Read Kama-sutra?) I expect the Box to feel like a brand new car when I take it out of the wrapper next spring.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #69

Jeep Wrangler , good winter or summer time , thats what we all need, sell the boxsters and buy jeeps

on the topic again, i didnt pay all this money for this car to store it and drive a POS while its collecting dust in a garage, sorry just makes no sense to me

Old 11-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
Jeep Wrangler , good winter or summer time , thats what we all need, sell the boxsters and buy jeeps

on the topic again, i didnt pay all this money for this car to store it and drive a POS while its collecting dust in a garage, sorry just makes no sense to me
IMHO, Jeep Wrangler is neither good for winter, nor for summer. I never got its concept.

I bought my Box to drive exclusively for fun, with the top down, and on nice dry twisty country roads. So to me it doesn't make sense to drive it in ANY conditions (traffic jams, snow slush, salt pebbles, etc.) just for the sake of driving it.

The enjoyment of things is not proportional to the amount and intensity of their usage. There's time for beef, and there's time for chocolate. Too much chocolate will make you sick. Just offering a different perspective.

Z.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
IMHO, Jeep Wrangler is neither good for winter, nor for summer. I never got its concept.

You're out of your mind... I have a 2003 wrangler sport, its the best of both worlds, Topless and doorless in the summer, and 4wd in the winter, it couldnt get better. plus its fun to drive on the beach
Old 11-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
To start..I will store my box as soon as it starts raining and i think I got few more weeks left...
It's about 72 & Sunny here right now and Kronix, my 1 hour drive today with the top down will be for you

Unklekraker, this is a cruel and unusual comment!! :dance:
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:47 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01slowbox
You're out of your mind... I have a 2003 wrangler sport, its the best of both worlds, Topless and doorless in the summer, and 4wd in the winter, it couldnt get better. plus its fun to drive on the beach
Definitely a possibility. Though if I was, I wouldn't be able to tell.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:48 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsquire

Unklekraker, this is a cruel and unusual comment!! :dance:
It's coming from my heart when I dedicate my drive that day to Kronix and to all who's already suffering from the winter syndromes :dance:

May sound corny but wifey has asked me the other day, why do i have to say..."this is for my fellow 986forum members" everytime i put the top down before we pull out of the garage
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:59 AM   #75
KronixSpeed

it's okay, in the long run we winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! my car should out last any car drivin year around. meaning that i will enjoy driving my boxster for many years to come. as you will be forced to trade it in, because it has come to its end, by over use n abuse! n don't tell me ahh i'll just buy another one, nothing will compare to the feeling that you feel now. nothing can replace the boxster. yes you can go and buy another one, but nothing like your first love.

how's that for cornyyy.....lol

cruel is that your car will look like **************** after driving it through all those winters...lol
Old 11-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #76

ahahahahaha! now' that is corny

I think mine would be in the garage right after Thanksgiving or 2nd week of December coz' it's getting foggy now in the morning plus the drizzle and mist from the bay might hurt the top...it will be stored for probably till February or early March...and them vroom...off we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
it's okay, in the long run we winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! my car should out last any car drivin year around. meaning that i will enjoy driving my boxster for many years to come. as you will be forced to trade it in, because it has come to its end, by over use n abuse! n don't tell me ahh i'll just buy another one, nothing will compare to the feeling that you feel now. nothing can replace the boxster. yes you can go and buy another one, but nothing like your first love.

how's that for cornyyy.....lol

cruel is that your car will look like **************** after driving it through all those winters...lol
:troll:
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #77

i think we all make good points, some people like to leave their cars in garage and drive other things, some people love driving their boxsters every day.
simple as that. if it was a motorcycle id understand, but a car that is capable of going trought winter like a freaking car should be and not be driven then thats crazy. i understand a snow storm, where even a 4x4 kinda car cant make it would be stupid to get ur box out and try and drive, but wow

on the positive note, my winter vacation from skool starts tomorrow and ends mid january, so i technically dont need to drive it, and if its gonna look relly messy out there box stays in till the next day

just to clarify, are you guys scared of ur skills in winter driving, or the car, or the so called damage that u may cause to your car from either ur skills or cars "inability" to get trough the snow? i think that may be a better way of putting it...

Old 11-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #78

50 plus weather

Just another reason not to put your Boxster in storage yet or at all. Next 4 days we anticipate 50+ degree weather here in the great Lakes/Mid-Michgan area.
Top's coming down, baby!!
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #79

djomlas:
"just to clarify, are you guys scared of ur skills in winter driving, or the car, or the so called damage that u may cause to your car from either ur skills or cars "inability" to get trough the snow? i think that may be a better way of putting it..."

You're missing the point. The Box is a high performance roadster, designed to be enjoyed on dry twisties, preferably with the top down. To the extent that none of those conditions are there, the Box enjoyment turns into a struggle, work. I COULD use a baseball bat for playing tennis, but I don't. Fear is not an issue -- common sense is.

Z.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
just to clarify, are you guys scared of ur skills in winter driving, or the car, or the so called damage that u may cause to your car from either ur skills or cars "inability" to get trough the snow? i think that may be a better way of putting it...
I do drive my car throughout the year but if there is any snow on the ground, I leave the Box in the garage. I'm not scared of MY driving abilities (drove in Montreal winters for many years) but am very concerned of OTHERS driving abilities. I don't need a bonehead in his SUV who thinks it will stop on a dime on sheet ice because he has 4WD slammin' into me.