Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Just cause someone makes something doesnt mean a lot of people (or more then a handful) buy what someone makes.

I do find it ironic though that within a day of you asking what everyone thinks someone posts a car for sale with all these awful body mods done to it.

Guess it must be a CA thing
That's fantastic! With the owner and the buyer along with a few on this forum we have your handful. Now I realize in some parts of the country change is difficult. California is the customization capital of the Country and many of those type of cars are normal for their giant population whereas in others I can see they would be shocking. I'm sure I can give you examples of many hideous trucks that may look normal in your area but not in Ca. Fortunately Porsche has chosen to advance in the direction the customizers and not continue with 90's styling.

azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlvr View Post
That's fantastic! With the owner and the buyer along with a few on this forum we have your handful. Now I realize in some parts of the country change is difficult. California is the customization capital of the Country and many of those type of cars are normal for their giant population whereas in others I can see they would be shocking. I'm sure I can give you examples of many hideous trucks that may look normal in your area but not in Ca. Fortunately Porsche has chosen to advance in the direction the customizers and not continue with 90's styling.
My brother... you're missing the whole point that several of us are trying to make. You're trying to add 2010+ modern styling to a car that was designed in the early '90s. Tacking on a larger, modern bumper cover to a small car design that's over 25 years old doesn't work. THE. PROPORTIONS. ARE. ALL. WRONG.

Yes - the modern bumper cover looks great - on a modern car. Trying to tack it on where it's out of proportion just doesn't look right.

This is what you're trying to do. Great in theory. In reality not so much.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #23

Yea, completely missing the point.

You asked for opinions...and you got them. You dont have to agree with them or even like them, but you opened the door by asking.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #24

So, you don't really want to hear opinions; just people who have your opinion.

Last edited by maxnine11; 07-24-2021 at 02:22 PM.
maxnine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:00 PM   #25

I completely hear your point and you didn't listen to anything i said.

There's a reason most OEM's have a design studio in So.Cal. and not where you live.

I'm done trying.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #26

Define most OEM's.

Being in CA has nothing to do with people wanting a different look on their old car.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
This is what you're trying to do. Great in theory. In reality not so much.
I am dying to learn the line between theory and reality. Send her my way.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Thank you for the opinions they are interesting and surprising.

I'm a big fan of keeping my 01S as OEM as possible but I've become bored of the mid 90's designed front bumper. I wanted to bring it more into the current world. Both bumpers are copies of a very high end German manufacturer called Techart their poly bumpers are 5K+ and are updates of current OEM bumpers of the day. All the OEM 986/996 bumpers suggested all have the same problem that look like they were designed in the 90's and are similar to original and boring. I'm looking for something that looks more updated like JBAUER and TTGATOR have done but don't like the quality of those but design is good. I recently purchased Aero II rockers, new steering wheel and am waiting on Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust right now so my stock 01S will no longer be stock.

After spending 25+ years in So.Cal. this look is very normal and stock would not even get a look.
Why would you question the quality if you've not had one? They're quality is fine.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
What RedTele said.

Can you imagine what the 993 crowd would say if someone did this sort of thing to one of their classics.
Jeez it's a 986 is not a 993. Although most of the posts on this thread act like they are. ��

Last edited by JBauer; 07-24-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Why would you question the quality if you've not had one? They're quality is fine.
Watched Gator's video.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Watched Gator's video.
I have, he got a bad one, they sent him a new one, it fit fine. It's a $600 bumper. Mine fits fine.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #32

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Those manta ray examples look hideous to me. Wrong bumper for this car. People go to California because they think the weather is always nice. If you want to get into car design Detroit is where it’s at
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #33

azlvr - if you're wanting to go with the front end that you want, this is the way to do it. I've said here several times before, and a year or so ago I nominated it to the Pelican best build contest - this is the best looking build on the 986 board and it has the exact front cover that you're looking at.

I'm not saying the bumper cover looks bad - it's a very good look - it just has to be in proportion to the rest of the car. JBauer has put countless hours into his car since he first posted about it 4-5 years ago. And he's also posted numerous trial/error pictures of things that he tried that just didn't have the right look. The Z-top adds balance to the rear of the car so the front bumper isn't overpowering the rest of the car and he's changed the look of the headlights so they blend into the flow and the lines of the front cover. Even the larger "987 look" intake vents help add the proper balance to the car drawing your eye towards the rear and a more balanced look.

Watching this car built over the past years has been a lesson in how to do something the right way. Everything he's done here has a very "factory OEM" look to it. All the things that I don't like on a stock 986 - the big front bumper, 19" wheels, the turn signals down low, etc are absolutely perfect looking here. The reason it all looks perfect is because the entire car is in balance, and it took a lot of trial/error for it to look this way.

So again, I'm not dogging you - I promise. I'm just saying this GT2-type cover isn't the right look on a standard looking 986. The car has to look in balance, and JBauer is the only guy I've seen do it right. And he did it most awesomely!
Old 07-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #34
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Jeez it's a 986 is not a 993. Although most of the posts on this thread act like they are. ��
And according to Porsche they are both classics

Other than only a few being made and it being the last air cooled 911, there is nothing inherently special about a 993. The 986 and 996 saved Porsche. The 993 almost bankrupted them.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
And according to Porsche they are both classics

Other than only a few being made and it being the last air cooled 911, there is nothing inherently special about a 993. The 986 and 996 saved Porsche. The 993 almost bankrupted them.
Maybe but a 993s are valuable, 986s are pretty much cheap used cars. Modifications on a 986s are a cheap fun way to personalize your car. Most can be easily reversed.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:20 AM   #36

2 others that disagree that gets added to the handful.

https://youtu.be/ZWi1okyDPLo

https://youtu.be/FmvXFB7bsJQ

Last edited by azlvr; 07-25-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:51 AM   #37

The bumper that JB went with is one of the best looking ones out there. Different then the one you posted. Similar but still different.

But...who cares, it's your car do whatever you want with it. There are always going to be people that will disagree & always be people who agree. IF what a bunch of people on the Internet think is important to you then ,well, .......
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 07-25-2021, 07:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
But...who cares, it's your car do whatever you want with it., .
That's what I always planned to do.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #39

Quote:
2 others that disagree that gets added to the handful.

https://youtu.be/ZWi1okyDPLo

https://youtu.be/FmvXFB7bsJQ
I like the looks of the black one, little more money, but cutting the inner bumper would suck.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #40

Quote:
I like the looks of the black one, little more money, but cutting the inner bumper would suck.
Agreed! Yours has a good look too.

How has your long term headlight cover experience been?

Last edited by azlvr; 07-25-2021 at 03:09 PM.