Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2021, 06:18 PM   #1

Aftermarket amp install

3 years ago crutchfield set me up with a great double din head unit and wiring harness - plug and play install, worked flawlessly.

Now, as per my usual MO, I'm bored with it and am going to delete the head unit altogether. I know this sounds ridiculous, but its another step in making my car more "driving focused".

So, I've got an 8 channel amp that has a Bluetooth receiver built in, so I can connect phone directly to the amp. No head unit needed, voila. And I've located wiring diagram from amp harness to speakers, so no issues though.

Looking at these diagrams though I couldn't help but notice the thing I circled in red in the below pic - does anyone know what this is? At first glance it looks like removing the head unit wiring will trip the immobilizer. That seems like a weird security feature, but I suppose not completely crazy. I imagine if that's the case I will have to leave the stock wiring in place? Ideally I want to remove it since it's a rats nest, but I would like for the girl to start up once I'm done with this.

Best,
Ike

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-27-2021, 07:31 PM   #2

It's a trigger for the car to know if the radio is there or not. It will be a female spade connector on the left hand side of the radio that connects to the frame. Doesn't do anything other then setting a code in the alarm module. When doing an aftermarket it is just left disconnected, but it could be wired to ground depending on who did the install. Again, it only sets a code in the alarm module which you can only see with durametric or porsche scanners.

basically...you can ignore it.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
It's a trigger for the car to know if the radio is there or not. It will be a female spade connector on the left hand side of the radio that connects to the frame. Doesn't do anything other then setting a code in the alarm module. When doing an aftermarket it is just left disconnected, but it could be wired to ground depending on who did the install. Again, it only sets a code in the alarm module which you can only see with durametric or porsche scanners.

basically...you can ignore it.
Thanks for the reply stl. I was worried because I have already found one wiring surprise in this car - a wire with is own fuse - almost like an add-a-fuse - coming from the telephone fuse (e6 if I remember if the top of my head) that runs over to and terminated on the center console carpeted trim piece. Disconnect that wire from the dust box and the car won't even turn over. Freaked me out the first time it happened. What's really wired about it is that panel is made of plastic and carpet, so I don't even understand how exactly it grounds. I was worried that radio switch may play into that wire somehow. I'll have to take a pic and pay it on here to see if anyone else's is sweet up this way.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk