Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

How do I remove the seat backs?

Hello, I searched the forums for this answer but couldn't find it, apologies if I missed it. How do I remove the plastic seat backs so I can paint them?

Old 05-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #2

Here ya go! Pictures when you're done please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsA6NOgMjVQ

https://www.renntech.org/topic/4650-removing-hardbacks-from-sport-seats/
Old 05-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #3
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Don't you believe it: The question AND the answer I was looking for!
Old 05-14-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

Thank you very much!
Old 05-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Don't you believe it: The question AND the answer I was looking for!
Hi Bran! What started out as a simple radio swap is turning into a major renovation of the interior of one of my '99's. I "think" I've found a set of Savannah Sport Seats that I'll end up painting the backs Ocean Blue Metallic to match the car.

Like you, I don't know how to stop once I start. There's always "one more thing" to do. I found the above information while I was searching for the same question.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #6

Step 1: Remove seats
Step 2: Put seats in box
Step 3: Send seats to me
step 4: Place lawn chair in car

Nice seats to have!
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #7
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

My interior is black. I'm thinking of having the seats reupholstered in red leather and painting the backs either black or arctic silver to match the exterior. Am I crazy? I think it would look awesome with red seats.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #8

These are things that are pretty subjective. What you may like, another may despise and vise versa. It's your car, if you like it, do it.

But, since you asked for opinions....I think it would only look good if it were the cancan red (sp?) and the rest of the interior matched, otherwise it would just look out of place. What you could consider is black with red stitching, but again, if it goes with the rest of the interior.

to each his own. Just remember, it is your car. If you dont plan on keeping it for many years consider the resale issues.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 05-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
My interior is black. I'm thinking of having the seats reupholstered in red leather and painting the backs either black or arctic silver to match the exterior. Am I crazy? I think it would look awesome with red seats.
Here's a picture of my '99 996 with a Boxster Red/black interior w/ sport seats (factory option). And yeah, I think it looks pretty awesome.
But, I think if you're going to add red into a black interior, you'd better put enough red into the interior that it looks pretty darn coordinated - otherwise it'll just look like you stuck a pair of red seats into a black interior- meh... Just my 2 cents.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #10

yea, that is a good looking interior
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 05-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Here's a picture of my '99 996 with a Boxster Red/black interior w/ sport seats (factory option). And yeah, I think it looks pretty awesome.
But, I think if you're going to add red into a black interior, you'd better put enough red into the interior that it looks pretty darn coordinated - otherwise it'll just look like you stuck a pair of red seats into a black interior- meh... Just my 2 cents.
Dang... not only you got the side skirts I wanted, but also the shift knob and brake level I'm looking for plus the seats I searched for forever!! Sell them to me!
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Dang... not only you got the side skirts I wanted, but also the shift knob and brake level I'm looking for plus the seats I searched for forever!! Sell them to me!
You just gotta be faster than me when you're looking for things to buy!

The '99 996C4 came with the Boxster Red interior and carbon fiber pieces from the factory. I have the window sticker for the car - almost $96,000 in 1999 dollars. It's a heavily optioned car. I was at the upholstery shop yesterday getting lined up for new tops w/ the glass rear window for a couple of my Boxsters and we discussed getting new Boxster Red seat covers from Porsche for the 996 - you can see those are pretty ratty looking. Not sure why - the rest of the car is pretty perfect, but I bought the car with the seats already doggy looking.

I have a set of Boxster Red GT3 seats still brand new in their Recaro boxes stashed away in a spare bedroom. Try finding a set of those anywhere in the world.

I have 5 and 6 speed CF shifters and parking brakes in my other cars that I've picked up off eBay. You have to be constantly looking and have the cash ready to spend right now. A lot of this stuff, if you wait until payday to purchase it will be long gone.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:24 AM   #13
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

I would love to have the all red interior but changing out all the components is too much. The seats will be red, the rollbar is coming out and will be painted red, and I'll do a splash of red on the console pieces, the rest will remain black. I think it will look good. If not, I can always redo it.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
You just gotta be faster than me when you're looking for things to buy!

The '99 996C4 came with the Boxster Red interior and carbon fiber pieces from the factory. I have the window sticker for the car - almost $96,000 in 1999 dollars. It's a heavily optioned car. I was at the upholstery shop yesterday getting lined up for new tops w/ the glass rear window for a couple of my Boxsters and we discussed getting new Boxster Red seat covers from Porsche for the 996 - you can see those are pretty ratty looking. Not sure why - the rest of the car is pretty perfect, but I bought the car with the seats already doggy looking.

I have a set of Boxster Red GT3 seats still brand new in their Recaro boxes stashed away in a spare bedroom. Try finding a set of those anywhere in the world.

I have 5 and 6 speed CF shifters and parking brakes in my other cars that I've picked up off eBay. You have to be constantly looking and have the cash ready to spend right now. A lot of this stuff, if you wait until payday to purchase it will be long gone.
Do you still have the Aero Kit 2 (GT3) side skirts from Maytag? I'll trade you for my Aero Kit 1 side skirts plus cash if you'd like or buy them outright. Let me know!

Oh man. And 5-speed carbon shifter. I can't find those either. I have a 3.4 with a 5-speed and the few knobs I've found are 6-speed. Let me know if you'd like to sell it too.

Pics of the GT3 seats or they don't exist lol. I searched for Boxster Red sport seats for about two years. Never found one, not just for sale but even in photos. I thought maybe they didn't exist. Eventually I found a trashed black set and had them recovered but the color is a little off. Yours are maybe the fifth pair I have ever seen in photos or person in four years of ownership.

There are so many neat and rare accessories out there for 986/996s. Just look at these photos from the Exclusive catalogs of the time. Those Boxster Red / carbon pieces are pure joy:

Last edited by Javi Cooper; 05-20-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
I would love to have the all red interior but changing out all the components is too much. The seats will be red, the rollbar is coming out and will be painted red, and I'll do a splash of red on the console pieces, the rest will remain black. I think it will look good. If not, I can always redo it.
I was just looking around on eBay - there are a bunch of Boxster Red interior pieces available - console and bolster pieces, roll bar trim pieces, gear shift and parking brake. If you want to go bigger, there are complete dash assemblies available, door cards, etc.

You don't have to do it all at once - buy pieces and parts when you have a little extra cash. It sometimes takes me a long time to finish a project like that - what I think will look good sometimes doesn't, and the other way around. I'll add a piece here and one there until I get the look I want. The nice thing is, since they are all factory pieces, you really can't go wrong unless you go too overboard or don't add enough. Usually I see guys add too much crap to these cars inside and out, or add pieces (front and rear lights especially) they think are upgrading the look, when they're really just making the car look like something from a JC Whitney catalog.

Right now I'm working on adding to a Savannah interior on one of my cars. I've sourced Savannah beige sport seats, a GT3 console delete kit, shifter and parking brake, steering wheel and airbag, steering column trim pieces, etc. It's a long, slow process - you'll get there!
Old 05-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #16

Do you still have the Aero Kit 2 (GT3) side skirts from Maytag? I'll trade you for my Aero Kit 1 side skirts plus cash if you'd like or buy them outright. Let me know!

Oh man. And 5-speed carbon shifter. I can't find those either. I have a 3.4 with a 5-speed and the few knobs I've found are 6-speed. Let me know if you'd like to sell it too.

Pics of the GT3 seats or they don't exist lol. I searched for Boxster Red sport seats for about two years. Never found one, not just for sale but even in photos. I thought maybe they didn't exist. Eventually I found a trashed black set and had them recovered but the color is a little off. Yours are maybe the fifth pair I have ever seen in photos or person in four years of ownership.

There are so many neat and rare accessories out there for 986/996s. Just look at these photos from the Exclusive catalogs of the time. Those Boxster Red / carbon pieces are pure joy:

Javi - yes, I have the sideskirts from Maytags car - already prepped to go on my 2000 base - sorry.

Reference the pics shown here - I have a carbon fiber center console, the silver console, Boxster Red CF shifter and parking brake, all the carbon fiber dash pieces, door pieces, etc. They're getting harder and harder to find - 5 or 6 years ago not so much.

A tip for you for the CF shifter and parking brake - you may have to combine pieces from a 5 speed and 6 speed shifter and make what you want. They come apart easy and go back together easy - example - I have a 6-speed CF shifter, with the black leather boot and silver horseshoe trim ring - the CF 6-speed shifter on my 996 has several large cracks. I need the black leather boot and horseshoe trim piece for one of my '99s w/ a CF 5-speed shifter, but a plain leather boot - so - the 6-speed CF shifter gets transplanted to the 996 red leather boot, the black leather boot and horseshoe goes to the 5-speed CF shifter. I sacrificed a 6-speed assembly, but repaired my red one and turned the black boot and horseshoe into a 5-speed for my '99.

The parking brake pieces work the same - find a decent black CF parking brake and transplant the red pieces from another parking brake.

I'll try and get some pictures of the red GT3 seats and red CF pieces this weekend for you - just so you know they really exist.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:43 PM   #17

Quote:

Right now I'm working on adding to a Savannah interior on one of my cars. I've sourced Savannah beige sport seats, a GT3 console delete kit, shifter and parking brake, steering wheel and airbag, steering column trim pieces, etc. It's a long, slow process - you'll get there!
The 996 C4 I plan on turning into a rally car has tan leather interior. I'll be gutting the interior eventually. You're welcome to have the dash if you want?