Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2021, 01:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Is that really the rule rather than the exception? Mine's always taken pretty close to 9 qts. Is there a lot of variability from one car to the next?
I googled 'Porsche M96 oil capacity'. Pelican says you'll need 7-10 qts. That nailed it down. The next entry said 8.5L. When I convert that to qts, it equals 8.9 qts. So that's probably where everyone comes up with 9Q per oil change. However, that assumes all the oil comes out, which it doesn't.

It's always easier to add oil than remove it.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #22

I just changed mine - I let it drain for 2 full days (on purpose, long story) and then finally filled back up. I stopped at 8 and started the car, oil didn't even register on the dipstick (electronic or manual). Altogether it took almost 10.5 qts to get to 1bar low electronically and full on the dipstick. Crazy sounding, I know, but I swear it's the truth. I've started it several times and ran it hard to bleed the coolant system since then and had no overflow into my catch can.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2021, 06:53 AM   #23

Garage
I do my own oil changes not difficult. Its a car not a sacred cow. I buy the recommended Mobil 1 at walmart buy 2 5 quart containers and I change it in my driveway. $340 is crazy and dont think the dealers know everything. I could tell you stories.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #24

My first job right out of tech school was at a dealership that carried Porsche.
The way I change my own oil to to put it on the lift right after a ride. Pull the plug and filter and let it drain overnight. Inspect the filter pleats for contamination. The next day add a new quality filter and 9 quarts oil. 9 quarts is spot on on my 986S. You'd be surprised how much extra oil will drip out by leaving it overnight vs 5 to 10 minutes. Most lube racks do not let it drip long enough. Time is money.
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:40 AM   #25

Garage
When I change oil I weigh the old oil and put in the exact same amount of oil. Easy peasy..
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
When I change oil I weigh the old oil and put in the exact same amount of oil. Easy peasy..
Not being critical, but I would think that would be kind of a headache. And probably kind of messy. No? What container(s) do you weigh it in?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Not being critical, but I would think that would be kind of a headache. And probably kind of messy. No? What container(s) do you weigh it in?
Might be that he meaned 'measure the oil'...
Old 04-27-2021, 01:39 AM   #28

Garage
Quote:
No actually it´s very very easy!

I use this container: https://www.biltema.se/bil---mc/mc/verkstadsutrustning/verktyg/spilloljedunk-bilmc-2000024001

First I weigh myself on a bathroom scale, holding the empty container. I tap the oil straight from the car into the container, then I stand on the bathroom scale again holding the full container.

I now have the weight of the old oil, I calculate the volume in litres and fill up the car with the exact amout.

Super easy!

:dance:
Old 04-27-2021, 05:35 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
First I weigh myself on a bathroom scale, holding the empty container. I tap the oil straight from the car into the container, then I stand on the bathroom scale again holding the full container.

I now have the weight of the old oil, I calculate the volume in litres and fill up the car with the exact amout.

Super easy!
That is an extra step that I would never have considered- you must be an engineer.
I initially add 8 litres of oil and then drive the car. The following morning I check the dipstick and top it off if necessary- it usually takes a mouthful or so- (I'm not an engineer... LOL!).
Old 04-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #30
Who's askin'?

Quote:

I use this container: https://www.biltema.se/bil---mc/mc/verkstadsutrustning/verktyg/spilloljedunk-bilmc-2000024001

Super easy!

I feel like I'm being punked here. If you're going to convert to volume anyway, why not simply measure the volume that you removed?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:59 AM   #31

Quote:

Super easy!

I guess that works (though I see maytag's point).

I just use the 5 qt containers (two, of course). Pour one in, right off the bat. I’ve got a plastic container with a snap-on lid that originally contained Hot and Sour soup from a local Chinese takeout place. Ran it through the dishwasher and now keep it in the garage, lid on, with my oil change stuff. It holds exactly 1 qt. I’ll pour clean oil from the 2nd 5-qt jug into it til it’s full, then pour nearly all of the rest into the car. Start her up, run it for a minute (looking underneath for possible leaks), then check the level. Add a ‘glug’ or two as needed. Check again. Done.

While I still prefer judicious filling and use of the dipstick, I do salute your devotion to precision!
Old 04-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I feel like I'm being punked here. If you're going to convert to volume anyway, why not simply measure the volume that you removed?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Haha, no Punking.. Measuring would be an extra step, pouring and dripping.. to me this is easy, clean & fast. Previously, to avoid overfilling I poured a little less than expected, waited for the oil to settle, checked level, poured, waited, checked... Now I just pour the exact amount the first time.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:17 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
I guess that works (though I see maytag's point).

I just use the 5 qt containers (two, of course). Pour one in, right off the bat. I’ve got a plastic container with a snap-on lid that originally contained Hot and Sour soup from a local Chinese takeout place. Ran it through the dishwasher and now keep it in the garage, lid on, with my oil change stuff. It holds exactly 1 qt. I’ll pour clean oil from the 2nd 5-qt jug into it til it’s full, then pour nearly all of the rest into the car. Start her up, run it for a minute (looking underneath for possible leaks), then check the level. Add a ‘glug’ or two as needed. Check again. Done.

While I still prefer judicious filling and use of the dipstick, I do salute your devotion to precision!
Well, thanks for the salute!
Old 04-27-2021, 08:17 AM   #34

Well you're welcome!
Around these parts, that and a dollar (or two) will get you a cup of coffee!
Old 04-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Well, thanks for the salute!
Dude, are you married? My wife would destroy me if I lugged 10l of motor oil into my bathroom, or took the bathroom scale out to the lab!

Just poking at ya, very interesting approach. The one thing you may want to consider while doing this though it's that all these cars have blowby, and will inherently get some fuel into the oil, throwing of the density of the fluid and your calculations.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Dude, are you married? My wife would destroy me if I lugged 10l of motor oil into my bathroom, or took the bathroom scale out to the lab!

Just poking at ya, very interesting approach. The one thing you may want to consider while doing this though it's that all these cars have blowby, and will inherently get some fuel into the oil, throwing of the density of the fluid and your calculations.

Recently I drug a subframe into my bathroom scale and measured it... My scale my bathroom my house; the wife gets the privilege to live there.

Damn ya'll on this forum could mess up a can of chicken noodle soup with overthinking.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Boredom. The car has been down 6 months now.

Car finally goes into the shop May 3 for the Tip repair. Mechanics in the Palm Springs area... then entire Coachella Valley: Weak. No one wants to touch the Tip. Had a few guys who were days away from helping me pull, repair, and reinstall... but their balls shriveled up when they talked to their pals.

I'll be having it towed to Riverside... found a 5 Star guy. Looking forward to getting back on the road.

To really answer your question: I'm getting old and soft. :dance:
Just out of curiosity, since the Tip will be out, will you have the IMS/RMS done?
Old 04-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #38
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post

Damn ya'll on this forum could mess up a can of chicken noodle soup with overthinking.
Amen to that.

Just sayin'...........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #39

Quote:
You can't go by weight!! Old, contaminated oil doesn't weigh the same as fresh oil!

You can't go by volume, either for the same reason! WE'RE ALL F%CKED! AHHHHH!!!

Old 04-27-2021, 06:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Recently I drug a subframe into my bathroom scale and measured it... My scale my bathroom my house; the wife gets the privilege to live there.

Hah! That's the funniest **************** I've seen on here in a while.

This place is better than some though. Have you ever been to bobistheoilguy before? Lord have mercy they fight religious wars over oil viscosities on a daily basis. And everyone else is wrong, every time lol.