Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2021, 06:26 AM   #1

While you're in there...HPDE track prep

After pulling the engine from my '99 and doing the following work(some was new, some done recently) to prep my car for DE season:

Variocam pads and chains
new chain tensioners
LN Oil pressure valve
LN Cro-moly oil pump hex drive
new waterpump
LN 160 degree thermostat
996 Oil/Water Heat exchanger
Mantis underdrive pulley
Mantis 2qt deep sump pan
LN magnetic drain plug
New LuK dual mass flywheel
Sachs Clutch
Tune RS DOF IMS
RMS
New spark plugs
(AOS is fairly new)
Lower rad hoses
Third radiator setup
996 oil pressure sender(for extra oil pressure gauge)
LN spin-on oil filter
new idler pulley bearings
new AOS vent line
new spark plug tubes and seals

I'm also planning on replacing my coolant tank with OEM Porsche.

I've also done Steel braided brake lines, Motul RBF 660 brake fluid, adj. rear toe arms, EBC yellow brake pads, GT3 brake ducts, and I'm planning on Bilstein B8 dampers with lowering springs and something to add some front camber.

What else should I do before I re-install the motor(has 100000kms/60000 miles on it)?

Thanks

DarrenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Looks like you have done a fair bit of stuff, well done!

A couple of things

There is nothing special about the LN 160 deg thermostat, any 160 deg thermostat is fine.

Motul 660 is probably a bit overkill unless you really cook the brakes. 600 is fine, less $ and last longer too

EBC yellow are pretty good streatable track pads. I did have an issue with them and switched to hawk DTC-60. I have a brand new set of EBC Yellow Ill give you a great deal on, have to look to see if front or rear and they are for an S
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #3

Thanks Jay G. All the work and parts have been bought and installed at this point except for the struts and coolant tank. I would be interested in the EBC yellows if they are for a base rear setup.

I went with RBF660 strictly for extra insurance. My home track is Mosport(some hard braking areas) and I want to make sure I don't boil the fluid. It's only a few bucks more per bottle vs the 600.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #4

If you want the 987 airbox because the air filter is about twice the size of the 986 one, the best time to do it is with the engine out. There are threads you can search for how to modify the 987 airbox to make it fit and adapt your MAF to it. Also, 986 S coolant pipes are a larger diameter than the base model and also improve the cooling capacity. I don't know if it's any easier to do with the engine out, but it would make sense to do before putting the coolant back in.

Mosport is a great track. It was the first track I ever did an HPDE on about 5 years ago. Our club started going to Mt. Tremblant after that year, so I haven't been back, but would love to go again!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
If you want the 987 airbox because the air filter is about twice the size of the 986 one, the best time to do it is with the engine out. There are threads you can search for how to modify the 987 airbox to make it fit and adapt your MAF to it. Also, 986 S coolant pipes are a larger diameter than the base model and also improve the cooling capacity. I don't know if it's any easier to do with the engine out, but it would make sense to do before putting the coolant back in.

Mosport is a great track. It was the first track I ever did an HPDE on about 5 years ago. Our club started going to Mt. Tremblant after that year, so I haven't been back, but would love to go again!
987 Airbox, I'll have to see if I can find one. That sounds interesting, thanks. As for the coolant pipes, I'm sure it's a great mod to do but for the cost and work involved I don't think I can justify it. Might make more sense if I go with a 3.4L in the future. I may just decide to do CSF Radiators if I'm having cooling issues.

And yes, Mosport is amazing. I remember when NNJR used to come up and share our events, I always wondered what happened?
Old 03-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenD View Post
Thanks Jay G. All the work and parts have been bought and installed at this point except for the struts and coolant tank. I would be interested in the EBC yellows if they are for a base rear setup.

I went with RBF660 strictly for extra insurance. My home track is Mosport(some hard braking areas) and I want to make sure I don't boil the fluid. It's only a few bucks more per bottle vs the 600.

Thanks.
the pads I have are DP4128R
Old 03-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #7

Motor mounts? At least the front one.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
987 Airbox, I'll have to see if I can find one. That sounds interesting, thanks. As for the coolant pipes, I'm sure it's a great mod to do but for the cost and work involved I don't think I can justify it. Might make more sense if I go with a 3.4L in the future. I may just decide to do CSF Radiators if I'm having cooling issues.

And yes, Mosport is amazing. I remember when NNJR used to come up and share our events, I always wondered what happened?
I have no idea why NNJR stopped going to Mosport, maybe we didn't have enough takers? After that last year, they started with the NER chapter going to Tremblant to coincide with the Mt. Tremblant Jazz Festival, and then NER does Calabogie shortly after and people make a long trip out of it. I like Tremblant too, but would love to go back to Mosport again.

I have no idea what's involved with the cooling pipes. Itsnotanova had a post somewhere here that mentioned that a lot of Spec Boxsters do it, and another post where he compared the two side by side. Enjoy your track season!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Motor mounts? At least the front one.
yes! I have a new one and I also have inserts, just not sure if I should install them?
Old 03-15-2021, 03:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
the pads I have are DP4128R
PM Sent.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:40 AM   #11

Quote:
yes! I have a new one and I also have inserts, just not sure if I should install them?
Not if your car will spend any time on the street. Inserts will harsh your mellow.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Not if your car will spend any time on the street. Inserts will harsh your mellow.
Oh yeah? No fun? I will just install the new mount and forego the inserts then, thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
With that being said, I'm not sure I would ever put SS brake lines on a street car. I know guys do, that just scares me. Is this gonna be a pure track vehicle?

987 airbox is a great upgrade, as well as custom run 3" intake piping with a simple box for high flow filter.

Have you looked at exhaust setups yet? I don't know what your class rules are but if it's a track only vehicle or if you can get away with it in your state, there's a lot of weight and restriction that can be lost on the exhaust side of things.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
With that being said, I'm not sure I would ever put SS brake lines on a street car. I know guys do, that just scares me. Is this gonna be a pure track vehicle?
Why not? Most brands are DOT approved for the use on street vehicles, and I have had customers put over 100K miles on them is street applications with no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #15
Who's askin'?

DarrenD, you've done a TON!
Well done. I'm sure this will go a long way in making your DE experiences relatively pain free.
FWIW; RBF 660 and EBC- any-color is a non-sequitur. You'll cook those pads LONG before your RBF 600 will boil. 660 is really only good for one weekend. To most it's just not worth the extra couple of degrees.
Fair warning: if you're one of the faster guys (even in a beginner group) you'll be pretty unhappy with those EBC's in a hurry. Not that they won't last you a day or two, but they're just not up to heavy track work.
If you search around, you'll find lots of information about hawk, pagid, PF, etc. I've been REALLY happy with the raybestos. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
DarrenD, you've done a TON!
Well done. I'm sure this will go a long way in making your DE experiences relatively pain free.
FWIW; RBF 660 and EBC- any-color is a non-sequitur. You'll cook those pads LONG before your RBF 600 will boil. 660 is really only good for one weekend. To most it's just not worth the extra couple of degrees.
Fair warning: if you're one of the faster guys (even in a beginner group) you'll be pretty unhappy with those EBC's in a hurry. Not that they won't last you a day or two, but they're just not up to heavy track work.
If you search around, you'll find lots of information about hawk, pagid, PF, etc. I've been REALLY happy with the raybestos. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
That's great to know. I've been tracking for a good 20 years now, Hondas for the first ten years and Porsche's for the last 10. I sold my 944 turbo 2 years ago, and bought the Boxster last summer. Not too sure how quick I'll be in the Boxster but I'll try the EBC yellows out, if they're not up to the task I'll go for some Hawk's or Pagids. I ran Hawk blues for years but I hate all the dust!!
I should be moving into the top group this season and onto becoming an instructor once Covid goes away(if ever). I used to instruct in our local time attack series years ago but once my kids started into high level sports, that had to stop.
I'll put the 660 in and flush it after the first event, no biggie. Thanks for the advice, I'm really enjoying this community.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #17
Racer Boy

I'll second what Maytag said, any color EBC will fade (and possibly give you a big vibration causing you to think that your rotors have warped) if you are moderately quick. I'm a big fan of PFC 08 compound pads. Noisy and dusty on the street, but they work great both on the track and the street.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Why not? Most brands are DOT approved for the use on street vehicles, and I have had customers put over 100K miles on them is street applications with no problems whatsoever.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/888586-brake-line-failure-on-track-lucky-i-m-not-dead.html

Even the DOT approved lines like power stop, stop tech, and goodridge have recommended change intervals between 12-36k miles.

I think for track racing, with a good prerace inspection, there shouldn't be an issue as long as you're diligent. For a daily driver though, I certainly don't inspect my running gear before going to the grocery store.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2021, 06:01 AM   #19
On the slippery slope

Garage
I agree that EBC Yellow are not the ultimate track pad, but they do preform fairly well. Much depends on the track and your driving.

Maytag is correct, you will cook almost any pads before boiling 600, unless its old and has a lot of moisture in it. I used 600 for a couple of years tracking and never had any issues. I would flush each year and bleed before every track weekend. 660 is good for more than just 1 weekend, at least 2 or 3.

I did eventually get the vibration Racer Boy mentioned with Yellows, but it was after about 20 sessions at a faster track. I did finally switch to Hawk DTC-60 and loved them.

On brake lines, IIRC, Porsche factory ones are braided under the rubber. Unless you have really old or damaged brake lines, you should not be having a problem
Old 03-17-2021, 06:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
For a daily driver though, I certainly don't inspect my running gear before going to the grocery store.
Really living up to that renegade image