Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2021, 05:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
What is the year of your car? (It has been a while since I installed my 996 cluster and I have forgotten the colors of my connectors.). If you have the LCD-type cluster I have the EPROM dumps from both the 986 and 996 clusters I used in my 2000. The files are stored on a hard drive and I should be able to find them this weekend.

By a process of elimination you may be able to determine which line of code controls the fuel gauge and update the offending bits.

This post http://http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43017-carrera-gauge-swap.html shows the code for the old style cluster. Lines 1 through 3 of the code include the odometer reading and the VIN. One of the remaining lines probably has the fuel tank type encoded.
My car is a 2003 and the 996 cluster is a 2002. I think your 2000 is the early version and mine is the later. I have the link you sent me and again there is much information about the early version. My problem can be solved for $490 at the dealer or Indy. My car is a hobby car and I'm just not ready to spend that kind of money on a gas gage that works but is empty when showing 1/4 tank. Thank you for trying to help. If just one more guy as nice as you comes forward with a download of the newer cluster I will save $490. Thanks again

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
This may help, is from the 996 factory repair manual. A known issue with fuel level readings on empty tanks after a battery disconnect.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
IKE84

You sort of went right at my problem. I have a 986 call it smaller gas tank found in both 986 and 996 cars. If my cluster had come from a 996 with the smaller tank we would not be having this discussion.

As fortune would have it my 996 cluster came from a car with a larger tank with a hump in the middle. My 996 cluster is coded to read the level in this larger tank and at 1/4 tank turns over the fuel level duties to the computer which then watches fuel flow and continues to provide level indication. The document you send goes to the problem with this fuel system set up.

The simple solution to my cluster is to have it re-coded and calibrated to my tank. I have a quote to do this for $490. However, if I can figure out the eprom bits I save $490.

Thank you so much for your response. If just one nice guy like you gives me a download of their working blue green grey connector 996 cluster I save $490.

Thanks again
Old 01-23-2021, 04:13 AM   #23

When I was searching for information about this project I learned that there were two companies, North Hollywood Speedometer and Palo Alto Speedometer that can program VDO gauge clusters. They may be able to help you for less than $500.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:27 AM   #24

I have the code for a late model 996 with the larger tank. PM sent to you.
Sikest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #25

I'm Back!

complete success!

In summary I bought a 996 blue, green, grey connector cluster and put it in my 03 boxster with the same color connectors. I added a wire and a new oil pressure sender.

I discovered that my gas tank was empty when the gauge read 1/4 tank. After considerable research I found that my 996 cluster was coded for a 4wd car that has a different shaped fuel tank.

You can read this entire thread to see what I tried but here is the answer:

A forum member gave me a BIN file of his working eeprom and I flashed my cluster with it. Now my gas gauge is spot on.

I believe this is one possible solution to the gas gauge problem with C4 clusters into a boxster.
I also reason that this will probably work for any 996 cluster 2002-2004 with the blue, green, grey connectors.

O.B.

Last edited by obthomas; 01-27-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:55 PM   #26

Congratulations
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 05-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #27
rao

I am looking for the BIN from an early 996 C2 with the non-saddle style tank.

Anybody have that?

Thank you!
rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao View Post
I am looking for the BIN from an early 996 C2 with the non-saddle style tank.

Anybody have that?

Thank you!
I think I might have what you need. I'll check my external hard drive this weekend and let you know.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:28 AM   #29
rao

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I think I might have what you need. I'll check my external hard drive this weekend and let you know.
Thank you. I am not able to communicate with the cluster in my car (although I can communicate with all of the others) so I can't calibrate the fuel gauge.

I am hoping if I rewrite the .bin it will solve the problem.
rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao View Post
Thank you. I am not able to communicate with the cluster in my car (although I can communicate with all of the others) so I can't calibrate the fuel gauge.

I am hoping if I rewrite the .bin it will solve the problem.
I found the file, but the board won't allow uploads of bin files. Please send me a PM with your email address and I will email it to you.