Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2020, 05:47 AM   #1

986 Spoiler Problem

My spoiler no longer goes up and down with manual switch and in certain speed.

I can hear something at spoiler when I press the manual up or down button. But only for a sec with slight movement!

Where do I have to check first? I am planning to change new spoiler relay...

Thanks in advance for any help!

stjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjimmy View Post
My spoiler no longer goes up and down with manual switch and in certain speed.

I can hear something at spoiler when I press the manual up or down button. But only for a sec with slight movement!

Where do I have to check first? I am planning to change new spoiler relay...

Thanks in advance for any help!
If you hear something and get slight movement, then the relay is working. I would look at the mechanism. Something seems stuck, but your electronics seem to be working fine.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
If you hear something and get slight movement, then the relay is working. I would look at the mechanism. Something seems stuck, but your electronics seem to be working fine.
I will disassemble rear spoiler mechanism to check if something stuck or not.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 12-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
I will disassemble rear spoiler mechanism to check if something stuck or not.

Thanks for your reply!
I had a similar problem, mine wouldn't close the last 1/4 inch. When you get the mechanism apart, there is a central motor with rack and pinion gears that move the spoiler up and down by pushing cables through upright tubes. If the gears are stripped, those aren't sold separately, so you'll need to buy another mechanism. Taking it apart is pretty straight forward, but getting it back together is much harder, but doable. If the gears aren't stripped, clean the grit off the tubes and cables and re-lube them with some new grease. The ends of those cables have springs on them that go into the rack gears. Getting them back in and keeping everything together is the hard part. I found that using my workbench with the gear against the base of my 5 inch vise bolted to the bench, I was able to compress and push the springs back into the gears. Then you have to carefully place the gears with the springs and cables back into the mechanism. There is nothing to hold the springs in place, they are held in place by the sides of the mechanism case. Wear some heavy leather work gloves while you're getting the springs back into the gears, they have sharp angled metal on their ends and you'll cut your hands a lot if you don't. I figured that out after only a couple of cuts!

I hope this is helpful, good luck!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #5

Thanks Paul
After I relube them, it works!
But sometimes it only goes up only 1/3. When I press the spoiler hard, it pops to the end haha.
I have to figure out again
Looks like it would be better to change entire gear mechanism system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I had a similar problem, mine wouldn't close the last 1/4 inch. When you get the mechanism apart, there is a central motor with rack and pinion gears that move the spoiler up and down by pushing cables through upright tubes. If the gears are stripped, those aren't sold separately, so you'll need to buy another mechanism. Taking it apart is pretty straight forward, but getting it back together is much harder, but doable. If the gears aren't stripped, clean the grit off the tubes and cables and re-lube them with some new grease. The ends of those cables have springs on them that go into the rack gears. Getting them back in and keeping everything together is the hard part. I found that using my workbench with the gear against the base of my 5 inch vise bolted to the bench, I was able to compress and push the springs back into the gears. Then you have to carefully place the gears with the springs and cables back into the mechanism. There is nothing to hold the springs in place, they are held in place by the sides of the mechanism case. Wear some heavy leather work gloves while you're getting the springs back into the gears, they have sharp angled metal on their ends and you'll cut your hands a lot if you don't. I figured that out after only a couple of cuts!

I hope this is helpful, good luck!
Old 12-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks Paul
But sometimes it only goes up only 1/3. When I press the spoiler hard, it pops to the end haha.
Glad it helped. If the gears aren't stripped, are you sure you got them in the right places with the motor in the up position? That's all I can think of.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:37 AM   #7
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Thanks Paul
Jimmy, I've got the entire mechanism in perfect working condition that I'd be happy to trade for a little cash-ola. haha.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:53 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Thanks Paul
oh, and I also have an aftermarket button & plug-n-play harness that looks oem for the control, mounts in the dash, opposite the top raise / lower button (in the horseshoe).

I pulled a photo of one just like it from Ebay. Note that this is the "Illuminated Control", not just the illuminated position-indicator, which looks just like it but doesn't control anything.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:00 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
oh, and I also have an aftermarket button & plug-n-play harness that looks oem for the control, mounts in the dash, opposite the top raise / lower button (in the horseshoe).

I pulled a photo of one just like it from Ebay. Note that this is the "Illuminated Control", not just the illuminated position-indicator, which looks just like it but doesn't control anything.

How much are you asking for that switch?
Old 12-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Glad it helped. If the gears aren't stripped, are you sure you got them in the right places with the motor in the up position? That's all I can think of.
Motors are right in position. I think there is somethig wrong in the motor. I decided to purchase Maytag's entire system
Thanks alot!