Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #1

This thread is no longer active/relevant,

Last edited by kbod; 08-23-2023 at 11:43 AM.
kbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Usually, if the IMS has been replaced, it is one of the top selling points. If it is an L&N bearing, there will be a reg sticker somewhere on the car. Zero documentation = assume not. At 116k miles on the car, it is reasonable to think the clutch assembly has probably been replaced. You can X/O the bearing with the engine in the car. You will need to pull the trans for access.

Have you changed the oil and inspected the filter? Consider pulling the pan.

Lots of IMS info/videos on the interwebs. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing.htm

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #3

- Deleted post

Last edited by kbod; 08-23-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbod View Post
Yeah.. the seller didnt know the car well, I bought it with lots of known issues.. it needed body work, It had a series of blown cooling hoses, shot engine mount, etc. I dont know what you were referring to with the clutch assembly, the car is an automatic. looks like the torque converter is new tho. I did an oil change when i first purchased the car. Oil is pristine and filter has no particles whatsoever in it.. has pelican done any guides or any instructional videos on dropping the trans and doing this job?
there is lots out there on dropping the trans, a couple of extra things on the TIP but ive done it a couple of times in my garage without any special tools.
Best thing to have is a transmission jack/dolly as it makes refitting the transmission much easier. Having done it once without and several times since with; it's sensless not to use a transmission dolly. Something like the Harbor Frieght Low Lift Transmission Jack.
your 01 MIGHT have the factory double-row that has a very low failure rate. Upon inspection you can confirm, then its decision time. The pelican retrofit is a single-row that I wouldnt trust over the older stock double-row.
No particles in your oil is encouraging as the chain guides and actuators start to deeteriote on cars this old. this shows up as little pieces of plastic and isnt scary like the IMS, but points to eventual maintenance that requires pulling the engine. Good news is pulling the engine is all that bad either. Race car. :+)
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Thanks for the correction. I thought I was the only person with a Tip Boxster.

The link I attached has this link embedded regarding the trans removal. There are plenty of videos on YT.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/37-TRANS-Drop/37-TRANS-Drop.htm

Quote:
Yeah.. the seller didnt know the car well, I bought it with lots of known issues.. it needed body work, It had a series of blown cooling hoses, shot engine mount, etc. I dont know what you were referring to with the clutch assembly, the car is an automatic. looks like the torque converter is new tho. I did an oil change when i first purchased the car. Oil is pristine and filter has no particles whatsoever in it.. has pelican done any guides or any instructional videos on dropping the trans and doing this job?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
If it were me, I wouldn't worry about the IMS

1 It really is a very small % that have had failures
2 While it can go at any time, from what I understand (YMMV) higher mileage cars have an even lower incidence of failure
3 Cars with Tips have a lower incidence of failure

There is lots of FUD about the IMS. Some people replace them for piece of mind and most owners don't replace them. Its really up to you. One train of thought is that if you are dropping the trans for any reason, its one of those "While you are in there" things to do as the labor to R&R a trans is high (IIRC 8-10 hours), so the additional cost is parts and a little labor.

I tracked my boxster and has the original IMS with 100K on the clock and my 996 has 105k and original IMS. I don't lose sleep thinking about it

YMMV!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #7

Garage
FWIW I did the IMSB on my '02 Boxster S while we were in there to do the clutch at 115K. The original IMSB was in virtually perfect condition. As always, YMMV, but there's plenty of these cars over 100K on the original bearings.
1971 BMW R75/5
Subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
3 Cars with Tips have a lower incidence of failure
That is not true; Tips fail at the same rates (% wise) as manual transmissions, but as there are way fewer Tip cars, it only seems like it is a lower failure rate.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
That is not true; Tips fail at the same rates (% wise) as manual transmissions, but as there are way fewer Tip cars, it only seems like it is a lower failure rate.
I stand corrected
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #10

deleted post

Last edited by kbod; 08-23-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #11
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The VIN will not tell you which bearing was originally installed. (I learned that from JFP and Jake's many posts on the subject)

You can look up the VIN on LN Engineering's web site to see if an upgraded bearing has been registered. https://imsretrofit.com/ims-check/ Yours has not:

That doesn't mean it isn't done. Just that it was not registered.

To verify what you have, you will have to take the drive plate off and look at the IMS Flange. Do a little bit of searching for the specifics of each type flange. The truth is out there...

Old 11-10-2020, 03:54 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
How Do I know if I have the double row bearing? Vin : WP0CA29811U625953 All that is currently wrong with the car is the drivers door latch (no biggie) where the window wont drop when i crack the door, The convertible gearbox is shot and the big one is the passenger side variocam system is lagging triggering a code, also the engine mount is clunky. Sooo with the engine in the car i will remove the shot engine mount and try to get a little more room to get that cam cover and cams out and hopefully I can get this boxster on the road and drive it. Ive had it for 6 months now and i want to get it smogged and registered so i can drive it.
I have a DIL living in MV. Where in OC are you? I might be able to arrange for my wife to visit her daughter and I could go to your place if you need any help (to the best of my ability). Let me know.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The VIN will not tell you which bearing was originally installed. (I learned that from JFP and Jake's many posts on the subject)

You can look up the VIN on LN Engineering's web site to see if an upgraded bearing has been registered. https://imsretrofit.com/ims-check/ Yours has not:

That doesn't mean it isn't done. Just that it was not registered.

To verify what you have, you will have to take the drive plate off and look at the IMS Flange. Do a little bit of searching for the specifics of each type flange. The truth is out there...

Ok, Ill look into removing the drive plate when I do the variocam actuator swap and ill try to see if I have the double row (fingers crossed). Is there any good source on how to differentiate the difference when you look?
Old 11-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I have a DIL living in MV. Where in OC are you? I might be able to arrange for my wife to visit her daughter and I could go to your place if you need any help (to the best of my ability). Let me know.
Laguna Niguel, Not too far haha But im pretty confident that I can get it done... cant be that much worse than bmws right?
Old 11-11-2020, 06:52 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Is there any good source on how to differentiate the difference when you look?
It`s on the picture, inspect the flange, if it`s deepened like the one depicted by the green arrow, it`s single row, if not, as the one marked by yellow arrow, you have a dual row bearing. You can also inspect the bearing itself if you want, after locking the cams and crankshaft and pull the flange, then press the small shaft inside the IMS. You can pull it back on using a telescopic magnet tool.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #16

Sticker for LN IMS Solution:

Last edited by darmahman; 11-11-2020 at 07:24 AM.
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
It`s on the picture, inspect the flange, if it`s deepened like the one depicted by the green arrow, it`s single row, if not, as the one marked by yellow arrow, you have a dual row bearing. You can also inspect the bearing itself if you want, after locking the cams and crankshaft and pull the flange, then press the small shaft inside the IMS. You can pull it back on using a telescopic magnet tool.

Last edited by piper6909; 11-11-2020 at 10:32 AM. Reason: edited: My question doesn't apply.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote