Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

Garage
RMS leak

What is the general consensus on replacing the RMS that shows some sign of leaking, but does not leave any oil on the ground and seems to hold oil without loosing any? Just signs in the underside of some oil. Do people let it be until it shows signs of a more major leak or do you break everything down and do the RMS, IMSB and clutch right then and there?

Goldenzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #2

I replaced my RMS when I did my clutch and IMSB. There was a small leak coming from the RMS.

-RobT
2005 Boxster S

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
RobT987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #3

I did the same

My thought was "I don't want to open this up this up again anytime soon", I would replace it
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #4

ANY oil leak inside the bell housing will eventually kill the clutch and dual mass flywheel, it is just a matter of time....................
Old 07-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenzrule View Post
What is the general consensus on replacing the RMS that shows some sign of leaking, but does not leave any oil on the ground and seems to hold oil without loosing any? Just signs in the underside of some oil. Do people let it be until it shows signs of a more major leak or do you break everything down and do the RMS, IMSB and clutch right then and there?
Oil on the bottom of the engine doesn't necessarily mean RMS. Did I understand your suspicion correctly?
JFP is right on the money that if it's the RMS, your clutch is not long for this world..... and yes, when it's open do all three (well, I could have a long conversation about the do's or don'ts of the IMSB.... but we'll leave that alone for a moment, haha)

But I would not jump to that extreme simply because I found oil on the bottom of the motor.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #6

Truthfully the IMS bearing conversation has been beaten to death, if I had not bought the bearing in advance, I likely would not of replaced it. It looked and felt great.
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Oil on the bottom of the engine doesn't necessarily mean RMS. Did I understand your suspicion correctly?
JFP is right on the money that if it's the RMS, your clutch is not long for this world..... and yes, when it's open do all three (well, I could have a long conversation about the do's or don'ts of the IMSB.... but we'll leave that alone for a moment, haha)

But I would not jump to that extreme simply because I found oil on the bottom of the motor.
Yes, that is correct. Previous research led me to the conclusion that this could be due to RMS. I'm getting ready to do a first oil change since taking ownership and plan to give things a good clean so that I can better keep track of things moving forward

Goldenzrule is offline   Reply With Quote