Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #1

Auto Trans To a Manual Motor

Ok, so I am new to the Porsche Boxster world, but not new to wrenching on all kinds of things so the work does not scare me and I have the tools and area to freely work.

That said. I bought a Money Pit... (I say that because all used cars are.)1998 Boxster Base Tip, so my wife can drive it too.

Motor is locked up, but I found a decent 41K manual setup motor and bought it. I have looked at the 6 pages on here of the search for Automatic Transmission and saw changing from an auto to manual, but not the other way around, or maybe a few mentions....but nothing specific.

I have the old motor out and access to any of the parts I would need for the swap. I knew I would need the Harness, which I have removed and meticulously cleaned for re-installation. I have also removed the Flex Plate for the Torque Converter.

What else from the old motor will I need to take off? Will I need to do anything electronic setting wise (re-mapping) once I have it back up running? Anything else I may not be thinking of?

I will have about $6800 in it once I am done since I am doing all the work. That includes the car, the motor, brake job, total fluid changes..not so bad for a project I think, but maybe I am a sucker for punishment as well...LOL

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to replies.

Viking66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here's an old post from when I did it in 2014. 2001 Manual motor into a 2001 Tip'.

Here's the tread: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54527-maint-do-swapping-used-2-7-a.html

Quote:
A few notes to add now that the engine is in:
I didn't realize until I had the engine installed that the brake vacuum line and intake were different between the two engines. The new engine had the single vacuum connection at the left front and a built in resonator in the intake line. The old engine had a 3 connection vacuum line with a venturi and a clamp on resonator. I wish I had noticed that before I installed the engine.
Part #21 (Venturi tube) vs the elbow # 23 in the lower picture.

~~~~~~~~~~
#23 (Elbow)

The rest of the vacuum tubing was brittle. Probably a good idea to plan to replace all of it. I missed one piece and of course it broke when I was installing the engine.

After I got it all in and started it up it ran like crap.
Lots of bad scenarios came to mind of what could be wrong. First guess and least scary was MAF and sure enough that fixed it and it was easy enough to do with the engine in.

Differences from the Tiptronic to 5-speed engine:

The wiring harness for the tiptronic integrates the transmission bundle with the engine wiring. There is one vacuum line that splits into a 3 way on the 5-speed that is a 4 way on the tiptronic. There is an extra junction in the cooling lines on the tiptronic that facilitate the transmission cooler. Other than that everything seemed like a direct swap.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the insight. I knew it had to have been done. Mine is a 2.5, going back with a 2.5.

The Vario-cam wear pads are a good idea, as well as a lower temp thermostat. Not sure if i can find the S Oil Cooler unless Pelican has it, or if a different one can go onto a 2.5.

I am hoping with just 41K on the motor that most things are in good shape. From the pics I have seen it looks as though it is.

I have replaced the Expansion Tank and modified it to make it easier for removal in the future if that ever needs to happen.

Since I have a motor that is locked up I can use that one as my experimental to see just how things come off...LOL
Old 07-05-2020, 05:56 AM   #4

Never done it in a Porsche, but I've done it in other cars. Best thing to do is have both motors side-by-side and transfer anything that's different from your seized motor to the new motor. Don't pull anything off your motor until you have the other one. Look very carefully, because it's always the smallest thing you may miss that'll cost tons of time. As an example, one time, I think it was a Toyota motor off an automatic going into a manual. Once we had the motor in, the clutch wouldn't disengage or something like that (it was many years ago). We took the motor back out and found that there was some small ring pressed into the center of the crank that we needed to pull out. It looks like 78F350 covered it well, so that may not be your case, but nonetheless it's best to have the motors side-by-side and compare everything from every angle.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #5

Yes, you are correct piper6909. I will be receiving my motor early this week, so I will then have that opportunity.

Like you, I have done it with other Motors and Transmissions, just not on a Porsche. Not Rocket Surgery I am sure...

But like you said, it can be the smallest of things that hold you up, so I threw the questions out there.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #6

Since I have the TC and drained, should I fill it up before putting it back on the Transmission?

I know all other cars I have, just making sure on this one.

Thanks!