Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #1

A few questions about my new '99 Boxster...

Hi all -

New to this forum and new to the world of the Boxster. I've owned tons of sports cars, but this is both my first Porsche and first Boxster.

It took me almost a year to find what I was looking for and I got it delivered yesterday - black on black, one owner, 36,000 miles. (Almost) perfect. Lucky me!

A few questions:

1. The seats are gorgeous, but I have never been a fan of the "wing" type seats where they curve in on both sides. Uncomfortable to me. This car has that, though I didn't realize it because I bought it from a dealer out of state.

Possible to buy new seats? Are the expensive?

2. Bluetooth: The car has the original stereo. What is the best way to install Bluetooth for my phone and music without hurting the interior look?

3. Rims. This car has upgraded rims. But to me they may be a bit too showy. If I wanted to trade out to stock rims, is there a big market for used rims, other parts?

Thanks!

[IMG]http://veh-markets.com/uploads/postfotos/986-boxster-aftermarket-wheels-

Stevenson927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It looks like you have the sport seats, they have wider shoulder padding than the regular seats. They are worth a lot more than the regular seats. Same for the wheels. I'd trade plus give you cash if you were local.

If you list them in the classified section here for a decent price, I'm sure that you can get a buyer. For a 'ballpark' price, look at sold items on eBay:

(Note - Shipping was included in those prices)
Old 06-15-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Racer Boy

It reasonably easy to get the stock wheels, as most owners are going the opposite way as you; they want aftermarket wheels. Maybe you can find someone that is willing to trade their stock wheels plus some cash for your wheels.

As 78F350 said, those seat are worth some coin.

Where in the PNW are you located?
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #4

I highly recommend bergvill fx stereo kits! They use continental head units that have a near-exact match for nighttime color to the factory interior illumination. The look is also pretty period correct, IMO. I installed one after my stereo started acting up, and I haven't been disappointed. Just be sure you get the correct wiring harness adapter. It's a true plug and play install.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/car-audio/continental-tr7412ub-or.html

Here's the result of my install:

It looks OEM enough for me and has the nice modern features all for a very reasonable price.

There's also a very pricey but nice Porsche solution:

https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/classic/ClassicExplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerCampaign?ReadForm&cati=pccm-us&country=usa
Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_RE View Post
I highly recommend bergvill fx stereo kits! They use continental head units that have a near-exact match for nighttime color to the factory interior illumination. The look is also pretty period correct, IMO. I installed one after my stereo started acting up, and I haven't been disappointed. Just be sure you get the correct wiring harness adapter. It's a true plug and play install.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/car-audio/continental-tr7412ub-or.html

It looks OEM enough for me and has the nice modern features all for a very reasonable price.

https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/classic/ClassicExplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerCampaign?ReadForm&cati=pccm-us&country=usa
The continental looks great and you should be happy. I went Double-Din with touchscreen and relocated my heater controls down the stack. Integrated the amp, have 10 speakers I upgraded all around and Im VERY happy, but I miss having a knob/dial for volume. Using the phone is worthless since it is so loud inside the car. I rely on a headset for that rare occasion im on the phone when I should be driving.
M2C and welcome to the forum!
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
Boxster_S_Dude

Garage
Just Replaced Stereo in my 2000 Boxster X

I put in a double DIN Alpine ILX-650W into my 2000 Boxster S. (See Photo) I moved the factory radio to amp interface behind the radio where you can't see it but it allowed me to do the install without making any changes to the amplifier wiring. Its not perfect but allows for a much easier radio install.

Note: Make sure to keep away from the airbag unit just behind and below the center console.

I also added a review camera and hooked it to the Alpine unit.

The double DIN kit was on Amazon for $25 or so. It matches the Boxster S perfectly. I put the AC unit in the lower insert as you can see in the photo.

Double DIN kit Link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3T0ZBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I removed the Radio cut the center plastic and the Double DIN radio fit perfectly.

I also recommend to get the wiring harness for the hookup as well as the bypass unit. Note that the Red and Yellow wires have to be switched for the unit to work properly and maintain the memory on the Alpine Radio. This may be due to Alpine but I think the harnesses wires switch the Key Insert Power and the direct battery power. I also added the microphone and BT Apple CarPlay connection as you can see. You can get the USB hookup on Amazon as well.

2000_Boxster_S_Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #7

Thanks!

Thanks guys, very helpful!

I am in Portland, OR

Also, what do the regular seats look like, what are they called? Are they comfortable?
Stevenson927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
jcp

Spirit RE....I see an adapter for 'Boxster M490'. Is this the harness adapter that you used?
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp View Post
Spirit RE....I see an adapter for 'Boxster M490'. Is this the harness adapter that you used?
It depends on what options your car has. At first I ordered the ISO (??) harness and that did not work. So then I ordered the M490 harness and it worked.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #10
Will there be cake?

Garage
taker a picture of your option sticker under the frunk lid and look for the audio option codes, this determines the harness that works. Share this option sticker on here to see if anyone can help.

check this thread

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59372-how-do-you-know-what-audio-system-you-have.html

Last edited by tonythetiger; 06-16-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #11

Congrats! A simple and cheap way to start with BT is an aux BT unit that plugs directly in to the head unit. Under $20.00 on you-know-where.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #12
jcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
taker a picture of your option sticker under the frunk lid and look for the audio option codes, this determines the harness that works. Share this option sticker on here to see if anyone can help.

check this thread

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59372-how-do-you-know-what-audio-system-you-have.html
Thank you for this^^^^^I do have the 490 option.
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
Congrats! A simple and cheap way to start with BT is an aux BT unit that plugs directly in to the head unit. Under $20.00 on you-know-where.
Nice looking car, congrats!

Lots of great options. The Continental radio is as close as I've seen to a R/R solution that looks basically stock.

Don't know if its still available but the Transit Blu option is easy to install and works great. The device plugs into the antenna lead, along with power and ground. It comes with a control button and mic. I bought it for a 2003 Boxster because I wanted to ad BT without a full audio upgrade. I sold that Box and ended up installing in a 202 4runner with stock radio Very happy with the device and the performance.

Used to be about $70 on Amazing.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #14

Quote:
The continental looks great and you should be happy. I went Double-Din with touchscreen and relocated my heater controls down the stack. Integrated the amp, have 10 speakers I upgraded all around and Im VERY happy, but I miss having a knob/dial for volume. Using the phone is worthless since it is so loud inside the car. I rely on a headset for that rare occasion im on the phone when I should be driving.
M2C and welcome to the forum!
I, too, went with a modern double din touch screen and moved my climate control down. I bought a Pioneer instead of the Alpine because the Pioneer had the functionality I was looking for.

But Porsche Classic makes one called the PCCM Plus that is period specific so it looks natural in the car, with knobs and buttons that match the accessories in 1999. That way you get all the modern bells and whistles, but preserve the classic look. Here's a photo.

But, since it's Porsche OEM it's expensive. I almost bought this one, but decided to save the money instead. Still, I love this look.
986Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_RE View Post

Here's the result of my install:

Man, that Bergvillfx radio looks awesome; if my OEM goes out. That's what I'll get.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenson927 View Post
Thanks guys, very helpful!

I am in Portland, OR

Also, what do the regular seats look like, what are they called? Are they comfortable?
I bought my Boxster in Portland in 2003. I have a pair of front seats pictured for sale in the For Sale section.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #17
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
It reasonably easy to get the stock wheels, as most owners are going the opposite way as you; they want aftermarket wheels. Maybe you can find someone that is willing to trade their stock wheels plus some cash for your wheels.

As 78F350 said, those seat are worth some coin.

Where in the PNW are you located?
I think the stock 18" twist turbos are the best looking wheel Ive seen on these cars. They even look good on the 993. (ok, the classic FUCHS are the best looking wheel, perfect for the 911 but they dont quite look right on the boxster)
A friend just refreshed his with struts, suspension and such, and replaced his wheels with the Twist turbos. Sharp.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #18

Quote:
I think the stock 18" twist turbos are the best looking wheel Ive seen on these cars. They even look good on the 993. (ok, the classic FUCHS are the best looking wheel, perfect for the 911 but they dont quite look right on the boxster)
A friend just refreshed his with struts, suspension and such, and replaced his wheels with the Twist turbos. Sharp.
Best looking wheels I've seen on a 986 are 17" Ruf wheels (Air-cooled era)

Granted this car is way too low, but the wheels are such a good fit for the body shape. I personally think 18" wheels look too tall on a 986.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Can you or someone post a photo of the 18" Twist Turbos? I don't know what they are.
986Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #20
Will there be cake?

Garage
the ubiquitous 986/996 wheel of 2000s. good looking and a great value out there for wheels. and easy to clean.