Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #1

Is the Porsche Classic PCCM Plus worth getting?

My first post!

I recently bought back my 1999 Boxster from a guy I sold it to in 2008. I saw it on the street after 12 years, and it had a for sale sign, so that seemed like a message from the universe and I bought it back. And I'm thrilled!

But!

It seems that in the last 12 years some issues have cropped up. One is that the stereo head unit doesn't work.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a double din head unit with all the modern tech. But most aftermarket head units look like space ships, and I want to stay true to the original design.

Right now, the interior dash set up is like this except it has the CD changer in the frunk:

I don't want to put something futuristic in it. I want it to look like it belongs. So I looked around and found that Porsche Classic makes a head unit called the PCCM Plus that seems to fit the bill. It looks like this:

The problem is that because it's OEM Porsche, it's super expensive. Like, $1,700.

My question: If I want to maintain the look, is this the one to get? Is it worth the money? Or is there some other option that will maintain the look and still give me all the 2020 tech I want for less money?

I'm brand new to this. I'm not tech savvy or car savvy. I just rebought my old car on a whim, and now I need to bring it back up to snuff. As long as I'm doing that, I'd like to make it more user friendly. But, as I said, I still want to stay true to the styling.

What do you think?

986Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #2

Wander over to Crutchfield.com in Charlottsville Va via the net and see if they have the one that speaks to you. They have instructions, wiring harasses, etc. They have been doing these "upgrades" for years.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Chick View Post
My first post! It seems that in the last 12 years some issues have cropped up. One is that the stereo head unit doesn't work.

I don't want to put something futuristic in it. I want it to look like it belongs. So I looked around and found that Porsche Classic makes a head unit called the PCCM Plus that seems to fit the bill. The problem is that because it's OEM Porsche, it's super expensive. Like, $1,700.
Hello 986Chick, my car does not have the PCM / NAV function, I checked with the dealer and they told me that I can retrofit it with a NAV unit (the harness is compatible) but the cost is ridiculous, somewhere in the 3 grand neighborhood (..!)

Needless to say I have not got it and also a new aftermarket futuristic unit is out of the question, hopefully you will find something that looks OEM without spending a fortune.

Good luck!

Last edited by Gilles; 05-31-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #5

Well, I didn't go with the $1,700 Porsche Classics. I went with the Pioneer AVX-W4500NEX. Before and after photos.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and I saved over $1,000.00 by not going with the Porsche Classics PCCM, which actually had less functionality for a buttload more money.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #6

You can get some very nice looking head units for a pretty good price. Not real flashy and with Apple CarPlay or android ?? you will have nav, bluetooth. I went with a Alpine that doesn't have a CD player so the unit is extremely shallow so you can mount a 450 watt amp behind the head unit and it still fits nicely. Very clean install and doesn't look like a space ship.
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #7

Garage
Is that so difficult to fix the original head unit? With a CD changer it`s still not a bad option, even if it`s old.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK Shoe View Post
You can get some very nice looking head units for a pretty good price. Not real flashy and with Apple CarPlay or android ?? you will have nav, bluetooth. I went with a Alpine that doesn't have a CD player so the unit is extremely shallow so you can mount a 450 watt amp behind the head unit and it still fits nicely. Very clean install and doesn't look like a space ship.
Which Alpine unit did you get? I have been contemplating same kind of scenario to my 986...
Old 06-13-2020, 03:53 AM   #9

Let me look, but I think it was the ILX 650. bout 300$ but Alpine also makes a Amp that bolts right to the rear of the radio.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Well, I didn't go with the $1,700 Porsche Classics. I went with the Pioneer AVX-W4500NEX.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and I saved over $1,000.00 by not going with the Porsche Classics PCCM, which actually had less functionality for a buttload more money.
Looks pretty clean!

Does this unit has the NAV (maps..) function? Did the place where you bought the unit install it as well? May I ask you where..?

Old 06-13-2020, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Looks pretty clean!

Does this unit has the NAV (maps..) function? Did the place where you bought the unit install it as well? May I ask you where..?

This one doesn't have on board navigation. It's identical twin, the 8500NEX, has nav. But I don't like 3rd party navigation. I think the nav on such units suck. Instead, since it has CarPlay, I get my nav through Waze, Apple Maps, and Google Maps, all of which are on board, have excellent real-time traffic, and can be used on this unit with voice commands.

Yes, I got it installed by the place where I bought it, which is called Audio Dreams in La Verne. I do not recommend them. This was quoted as a 3-hour job. It took them 8.5 hours, and they screwed it up so badly I had to take it back to them twice to get it right. And the guy assigned to me refused to wear a mask or distance, and he was constantly in my personal space and when I asked him about it he said he didn't care if he gets COVID and dies from it. So, I don't think I'll ever go back there again for any reason.

The unit itself I like. Sounds good with the Porsche factory Bose speakers. Lots of great functions. Easy to use. Looks nice in a 986.

Last edited by 986Chick; 06-13-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Is that so difficult to fix the original head unit? With a CD changer it`s still not a bad option, even if it`s old.
I like my Porsche AM/Fm/cd player. The only reason I have a "smart phone" is for navigation.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
What's a CD?

I prefer to have something more functional. AF/FM and CD is not very useful anymore. I live in SoCal and navigation is a must.

Would it have been "so difficult" to fix or replace the original unit? No. And I thought long and hard about keeping everything stock, everything vintage. Finally, I decided to go with something modern. Functionality and fun became more important than the original parts. There were too many Boxsters made for it ever to become a truly collectible car. A Boxster is a "driver," and so I opted for something that made driving it more fun.

But you stay in the olden days, Grandpa! (I'm kidding! )
Old 06-13-2020, 10:27 PM   #14

Just bought my first 986 last month and installed the new pioneer 4660nex with a backup camera. Wireless CarPlay and duo Bluetooth were both things I didn’t know I wanted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nhuy570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:47 AM   #15

I can understand not wanting to wear a mask while doing the work, BUT to disregard your concerns and invade your personal space, I would have told them to put it together and found someplace else to do the install. I only spent a couple hours doing my entire install including speakers, amp and head unit. And I am a DIY'er, not a professional.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:48 AM   #16

But it does look very clean
Old 06-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #17

Quote:
I think the nav on such units suck. Instead, since it has CarPlay, I get my nav through Waze, Apple Maps, and Google Maps, all of which are on board, have excellent real-time traffic, and can be used on this unit with voice commands.

The unit itself I like. Sounds good with the Porsche factory Bose speakers. Lots of great functions. Easy to use. Looks nice in a 986.
987Chick, If I can use Google Maps from my phone with one of these it would be great, as the one you got does not look like a pinball machine with glowing neon lights..
Thank you for sharing your comments

Last edited by Gilles; 06-14-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK Shoe View Post
Let me look, but I think it was the ILX 650. bout 300$ but Alpine also makes a Amp that bolts right to the rear of the radio.
Thanks SMK Shoe
Same unit is not sold in Finland (or in EU), but other 2DIN Alpines yes.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhuy570 View Post
Just bought my first 986 last month and installed the new pioneer 4660nex with a backup camera. Wireless CarPlay and duo Bluetooth were both things I didn’t know I wanted!

Looks great! I’ve been eyeing the 2660 and 4660 models because they can be a very clean install that looks close to OEM. No mismatching button shapes. No white button lighting that contrasts with the OEM amber/orange.

Your picture illustrates that point perfectly!

So your verdict is that the wireless CarPlay is worth the $250 premium?

Spyder_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder_Man View Post
Looks great! I’ve been eyeing the 2660 and 4660 models because they can be a very clean install that looks close to OEM. No mismatching button shapes. No white button lighting that contrasts with the OEM amber/orange.

Your picture illustrates that point perfectly!

So your verdict is that the wireless CarPlay is worth the $250 premium?

Thanks!

There wasn’t really rhyme or reason on why I bought this other than picking the cleanest looking one from Crutchfield even if it cost a little more since this would be my forever car. I never had CarPlay and never cared for it when I would go on work trips and use it in my rentals. Always just used Bluetooth.

With that being said, now that it’s wireless- I love it. I don’t like plugging things in unless I need to charge it so this is great. What I didn’t even know I had with this is that when my wife is with me, we can play music or even take calls from either our phones without having to connect to another phone (in Bluetooth mode).

It’s the little things. I think the premium is worth it but to each their own. Gl!

nhuy570 is offline   Reply With Quote