Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

Garage
04 Boxster convertible top light?

So I've had this car for three months and the top light is on all the time. I have stripped all the soft top stuff off the car. The motor, transmissions and all cables and the soft top itself. I have a hard top on now and love it but the top light is still on. I've unplugged the switch in the upper console and it's still on.. thoughts ? Start pulling fuses ?

Scottc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #2

Garage
The top might not be causing the overhead lights to be on. Any of the doors or hood latches not being fully closed could cause the overhead lights to be on.

If you're talking about the very dim map reading light, that is on all the time by design. It should illuminate the cabin at night albeit very dimly.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Are you referring to the indicator light on the cluster that shows the top is not fully repositioned?
On the 2004 models there is a small three pin wire connection that goes to the convertible top transmission on the left side. Jumping the brown and brown/black wires should make it indicate the top is closed.
See my posts in this thread for pics and more detail:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/68939-stuck-convertible-top-manual-operation.html

Also, consider removing the relay for the top... I think that works too.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Are you referring to the indicator light on the cluster that shows the top is not fully repositioned?
On the 2004 models there is a small three pin wire connection that goes to the convertible top transmission on the left side. Jumping the brown and brown/black wires should make it indicate the top is closed.
See my posts in this thread for pics and more detail:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/68939-stuck-convertible-top-manual-operation.html

Also, consider removing the relay for the top... I think that works too.
Do you have the part number for the Amp plug you used to make the jumper? With more of these older cars having this issue, it would make a handy diagnostic tool to check if it is the switch before replacing the transmission.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-17-2020 at 05:52 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Do you have the part number for the Amp plug you used to make the jumper? With more of these older cars having this issue, it would make a handy diagnostic tool to check if it is the switch before replacing the transmission.
No Amp plug. I did this on two cars; my daughter's '99 daily that rode with a hard top through a winter and then was repaired in the spring and a 2001 that I stripped out and used for a $2,000-budget car competition. The '99 had the b-pillar switch and I removed the relay on the '01 (no soft top and a junk-fabricated aluminum top).

Honestly, for a test jumper I usually use a coated paper clip if I can't scavenge a connector from an old harness. If I was a pro, I'd look at Molex https://www.molex.com/molex/product-search/products.action