Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #1

Do Boxsters fit Giants?

Hi all,

I'm new here and am contemplating my mid-life crisis down the road, which involves a sports car. I'm 6' 4" and some cars are too small for me: Miata (head sticks up over top of windshield); TR 6 (not enough leg room). I just fit in a 240 Z. Any tall drivers out there that can weigh in? Many thanks.

-Greg in Tampa

grogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:14 PM   #2

I am 6' 1" and I fit just fine...my buddy is 6'4" but he has a long torso...kind of weird looking...and he doesn't fit...his head sticks out. I call him a freak of nature, but he prefers vertically challenged.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #3

Rail26,

Thanks. Guess I'll just have to go test drive one.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:56 PM   #4

6'2" here. I fit. I think 6'4" may be a stretch... but test drive for yourself.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:51 AM   #5

I'm 6'4", and long torso. The car "fits" fine, in that I had more legroom than my Miata (no more go-cart knees), and the headroom with the top up is fine. Having said that, the outward visual appearance with the top down is, as Rail says, a little vertically challenged.

Side note: Not nearly as bad as the Fiat 500 I had in Italy - used to drive it with my head sticking out the sunroof to make my kids laugh. (It was a weekend capuccino car, "unsafe at any speed" is a good description.)

Track days in the Boxster present a different problem due to the broomstick rule that requires 2 inches clear between the helmet and the imaginary line from the windshield top to the top of the roll bar. Even with a roll bar extension (Brey Krause), I still couldn't pass. So, was limited to the few tracks that allow Boxsters on general prinicple. Gatting a hardtop may help, but talk with your track tech inspector before buying - if the track is an issue for you.

I say go for it. Are Boxsters fun? You bet! No other handling like it , best brakes on the planet - a holistic driving euphoria.

Hope this helps.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:27 AM   #6

6'3" & 249.999lbs OK......................

I'm 6'3", and 250lbs with little problems once inside the car. In and out can be a little challenging due to the length of my legs. I have found that when exiting, if I place my left hand on the door jamb, I can leverage myself out without too much effort or public gawking. Occasionally, once standing next to the Box, I'll get a bystander that appears to be amazed that I fit inside (heightwise).

The only caution I have is the panel that houses the contols to the seat can be caught if you try to slide over the seat on the way in/out. So be sure to lift your arse upon entry/exit.

Otherwise, driving is no problem! Pedels are easy to manipulate and my knees are out of the way, not up against the steering wheel. The only other coupe that I've been in that had more leg room was a '69 XKE.

Mark
Seal Grey 01
mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:46 AM   #7

I'm 6'1 with no problems. I believe the newer 987 model provides more space than the 986, so you should probably start with a 987, when you look at them. Seat can be lowered pretty far.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #8

I'm 6'1 with long legs, I find it a snug fit for legroom but there's ample head room so as you're taller but long int he torso it'll probably work out fine.

For legroom you can remove the tray under the steering column where the service book id and also remove the console if you want more width for your knees. If you're test driving remember the steering wheel telescopes (although it doeasn't tilt) which can help accomodate your knees if needed.

All in all I find my car very comfortable but there's no substitute for trying one out. I wasn't at all comfortable in a Miata I sat in.

Good luck!

Chris.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
boggtown

Personally, If I was tall, and had money, I would buy some GT3 seats because you can install them lower than stock I believe. Or if they dont, buy aftermarket racing seats that you can.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #10

6'2" here, long torso, and I fit with about 1 inch of headroom in the 986, but the 987 gives me about 3 inches due to the much lower seating position and higher roofline. You'd have NO problem in the 987, and likely not the 986 either unless you are long torso also. My inseam is only 32", and at 6'2", that's really short.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #11
bmussatti

6'2" and I fit great into my 987. Very comfortable.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #12

6'3" and I fit okay. I have to bend my head down at a stoplight to see the light. No regrets whatsoever. When you test drive, make sure the seats are set as low as possible. My seats adjust high enough that my 5'4" wife fits comfortably.
PDX-986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #13

The new '07s have tilt and telescoping wheels. I'm only 6' and I have a lot of room to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukchris
For legroom you can remove the tray under the steering column where the service book id and also remove the console if you want more width for your knees. If you're test driving remember the steering wheel telescopes (although it doeasn't tilt) which can help accomodate your knees if needed.
GmanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:40 PM   #14

Happy Giant

The jury is in and I JUST fit. I sat in a 1997 Boxster with poser seats and I have enough legroom and my head almost brushed the convertible roof. Good thing I have no hair or it would have been too small. I'm looking forward to test driving a Boxster vs. Boxster S. Then I just have to sell my wife on the idea of it. Somehow I think there will be an inverse relationship to prioritization of a Boxster vs. marble countertops, new furniture, re-do the pool area, college and wedding funds, etc. Thanks, all!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #15

I'm 6'-6" and manage to wedge myself into my '99. I'm more torso than legs (my inseam is a scant 34"). It's comfortable enough but the funny part is that my head is above the headrest/roll bar and if i ever get rear-ended I'll smack my head on the roll bar. And if I roll over...well let's just say my head will hit the ground first. Small price to pay...
Roggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #16

I’m 6’4inches and I just purchased my 2001 Boxster not thinking once that I should try to sit or test drive one, since I’ve owned lots of Porsches and all had plenty of room, not the Boxster. I’m having a miserable time, my legs are too long and driving is not pleasurable. There is a company here in CA that sells something that fits under the existing track called extend my seat.com For some cars they guarantee up to an additional 6 inches for my Boxster maybe 1-2inches, sadly that will not be enough. Does anyone know if the pedals can be adjusted fo give more leg room? Thanks for your time
kubelwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #17

No they can't
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #18
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubelwagen View Post
I’m 6’4inches and I just purchased my 2001 Boxster not thinking once that I should try to sit or test drive one, since I’ve owned lots of Porsches and all had plenty of room, not the Boxster. I’m having a miserable time, my legs are too long and driving is not pleasurable. There is a company here in CA that sells something that fits under the existing track called extend my seat.com For some cars they guarantee up to an additional 6 inches for my Boxster maybe 1-2inches, sadly that will not be enough. Does anyone know if the pedals can be adjusted fo give more leg room? Thanks for your time
You could buy the one/two inches... and have installed a new seat. I'm thinking a seat that is absent all the foam, yet remaining comfortable. That could give you another ^~1 inch, maybe better.

Have you looked into the delete kit? It might be sufficient, and less costly, than the seat.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/75-BODY-GT3_Console_Delete/75-BODY-GT3_Console_Delete.htm

Maybe the extend a seat... new seat... and the delete kit. Go big. No pun intended.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown View Post
Personally, If I was tall, and had money, I would buy some GT3 seats because you can install them lower than stock I believe. Or if they dont, buy aftermarket racing seats that you can.
I'm 6'3" and have a pair of GT3 seats that I put in my Boxster for track season. They are a pain in the @$$ to get in and out of but pretty comfortable once in. In their stock position on Porsche side mounts they are about the same as the Boxster seats as far as headroom goes. But they could be lowered a bit and still not hit the floor. Also, the seat bottom cushions are held in by Velcro and come right out if you want to sit directly on the hard shell bucket or have a much thinner cushion made.

I would say you and any other potential drivers or passengers need to be on the thinner side, fairly limber and willing to put up with the extra difficulty of getting in and out before getting these seats. At just over 200 lbs and a 34 inch waist these seats fit me like a glove. At my last 2 track events, both of my instructors were taller and wider than me and struggled with these seats. And there is no way anyone wearing a dress or skirt will be able to get in and out of the car without putting on a show!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
And there is no way anyone wearing a dress or skirt will be able to get in and out of the car without putting on a show!
And that is a bad thing because....??? lol

2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote