Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #1

Hazard flashing when they shouldn't be!

I have an odd problem with my 2001 Boxster S 6spd. When I start up the car, my hazards flash even though the button isn't activated. It doesn't happen all the time but 90% of the time it does.

Any ideas?

Brian

Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Minson View Post
I have an odd problem with my 2001 Boxster S 6spd. When I start up the car, my hazards flash even though the button isn't activated. It doesn't happen all the time but 90% of the time it does.

Any ideas?

Brian
Faulty flasher button?

Pull the button fuse/relay... see if it still flashes. That might narrow it down.

Don't leave us hanging... report back.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:10 AM   #3

Turns out the issue was from a negative/ground cable on my battery not being fullly connected on the battery. Tighting things up and the flashing hazards issue has gone away!

Brian
Old 11-28-2019, 02:59 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Turns out the issue was from a negative/ground cable on my battery not being fullly connected on the battery. Tighting things up and the flashing hazards issue has gone away!

Brian
Awesome! Glad you figured it out. Mechanical challenges are one thing; Electrical gremlins... another.

Happy Thanksgiving, neighbor.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #5

Well just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water... Took the Boxster out for a Sunday afternoon drive and again the hazard lights popped on. I noticed that while this was going on my door locks unlocked and I couldn't relock them from the center button. If I push the hazzard button on the dash, it doesn't stop the flashing but reduces the delay (super fast flash).

Going to pull that flash relay and see what happens. Ill report back.

Brian
Old 12-02-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Well just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water... Took the Boxster out for a Sunday afternoon drive and again the hazard lights popped on. I noticed that while this was going on my door locks unlocked and I couldn't relock them from the center button. If I push the hazzard button on the dash, it doesn't stop the flashing but reduces the delay (super fast flash).

Going to pull that flash relay and see what happens. Ill report back.

Brian
If the absence of the relay doesn't reveal the anamoly... I'd suggest the ingition switch. Just a guess, but everything I've read upon these pages suggest that that switch can cause all sorts of activity that might otherwise not at all be associated with the switch.

Keep us posted. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Door locks and hazard lights both having an issue makes me think that there is moisture in the Central Locking System module (Immobilizer box) under the driver's seat. Slide the seat forward and pull up the carpet enough at the back firewall to see if the carpet padding is damp.

If you catch it early the module can often be dried and cleaned before real damage is done.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #8

When I read your post my first thought was 'Bad ground". Guess I was wrong.

This will be no help.

My '84 Alfa spider went though a similar issue years ago...put on the brakes and the flashers would flash. Found a ground in the rear trunk by the drivers tail light that was bad. It looked 100% fine. I got lucky and bumped the wire by accident while troubleshooting.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote