Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 07:14 AM   #1

Fender Removal

Hi all, I need to remove a damaged front fender on the passenger side. I've removed all but two bolts that are located near the door.

When opening the door, there is a cover on the inside that looks like if i remove it I can access the remaining fender bolts.

There's also a large black plastic reservoir looking thing in the wheelwell. If I remove that I should also get access.

Does anyone have experience removing fenders from the 986?

Would like to know how you tackled those last two bolt that are not able to be seen.
The photo indicates where the bolts are located as I'm pointing to them (that's the new fender that i'll be installing)

9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #2

yes, the bolts will be under the cover.
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
yes, the bolts will be under the cover.
Thanks. Did you have to remove the door to get the cover out? Those plastic tabs are a pain to get out with the door in the way.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #4

You shouldn't have to remove the door; in fact, I would recommend not doing so.
You're also going to need to remove the well liner, but that comes out pretty easily. If I recall, there's 3 plastic nuts and then 5 of those push-pin things (stick a screwdriver under the top cap to pull the plug out, that will release the other part of the pin).
There's a quick video on youtube detailing bolt positions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEJa6dQYJzM
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
You shouldn't have to remove the door; in fact, I would recommend not doing so.
You're also going to need to remove the well liner, but that comes out pretty easily. If I recall, there's 3 plastic nuts and then 5 of those push-pin things (stick a screwdriver under the top cap to pull the plug out, that will release the other part of the pin).
There's a quick video on youtube detailing bolt positions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEJa6dQYJzM
I got the well liner out which was the easy part. It's just those two screws holding the fender that are impossible to get to. In that video he shows to remove "that black thing" - any idea what that is? There's 3 hose connections to it, i was able to remove 1 of them, the other 2 are very difficult and then I think it's also secured with 2 more screws on the back other than that 10mm he's talking about. Still wrestling with that right now. Day 2 already
Old 09-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #6

My guess is that the black thing is the evap canister for fuel vapor recovery. You can just remove the hoses. Sorry but I have not had to remove a fender on a Boxster.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
My guess is that the black thing is the evap canister for fuel vapor recovery. You can just remove the hoses. Sorry but I have not had to remove a fender on a Boxster.
Thank you for your response. You're right, it is the fuel vapor recovery. After googling it i found a Youtube video showing the removal. Followed along as was able to remove it, hoses and all. The lining between the door and fender never needed to come off at all. Just that canister. If I only knew that before!
Thanks again