Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
R3v01u7i0n4ry

Alarm system/keyless unlocking issue

A little background info...about 2 years ago I purchased a 2000 986 boxster that was in nearly perfect condition. As luck would have it, a few months later it was broken into and suffered some damage to the center console and the unit under the driver's seat had to be replaced. Ever since then the key fob has not been working properly. When used the car unlocks then locks then the horn sounds twice. When trying to unlock it the exact same process occ and to unlock the car the door has to be manually unlocked. The dealership near at the time did some testing and deduced it was from the driver's side door lock mechanism. Since then both the driver's side and passengers side door lock mechanism have been replaced with no effect. Also as I mentioned there was damage to the center console, I bought a used replacement center console unit and replaced the whole thing. I've seen mention of the console lid sometimes causing problems. This issue has been slowly eating at me, any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated

jdstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Get the car scanned with a Porsche specific scan tool and read the last ten alarm triggers and I'll bet it is the micro switch in the console causing the issue...………...
Old 04-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #3

Also check your seat belts, they have sensors in them that can fail and cause alarm headaches.
Ryan's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
R3v01u7i0n4ry

Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping to get a chance to remove the center console today and check to see if the problem is rooted there but looks like it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

I had never heard that about the seatbelt latches but after reading that I went and looked at mine and the drivers side feels a little gummed up so soon as I planning on investigating that further soon as I can.

While cleaning it out earlier I noticed something that had never caught my eye. Under the passengers seat there is a wire that looks like it is connected to a ground bolt and splits off to another cable on one end but is not plugged into anything. I tried to find what it is supposed to plug into but couldn't. I've included a few pictures of the wire I am talking about.could this have anything to do with it?

Old 04-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
R3v01u7i0n4ry

Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping to get a chance to remove the center console today and check to see if the problem is rooted there but looks like it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

I had never heard that about the seatbelt latches but after reading that I went and looked at mine and the drivers side feels a little gummed up so soon as I planning on investigating that further soon as I can.

While cleaning it out earlier I noticed something that had never caught my eye. Under the passengers seat there is a wire that looks like it is connected to a ground bolt that is not plugged into anything. I tried to find what it is supposed to plug into but couldn't. I've

Old 04-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
R3v01u7i0n4ry

So while cleaning my car I noticed that under the passengers seat is a wire that is connected to what looks like a ground bolt and splits off to a large connection on one end but the other end has a connection not connected to anything. Any chance this could be tied to the problem? I tried finding what it plugs into but it was to dark
Old 04-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #7

I believe you will find that your unconnected wire under the passenger seat is for the optional child seat installation bar's "seatbelt" buckle, which deactivates the passenger airbag when the child seat is installed (but only if your car's computer is programmed for this).
Doubt it relates to your current problem. Sorry.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
R3v01u7i0n4ry

SO making it to the dealer to get those codes read is not the easiest task to time out. Can anyone explain or show a picture of what in the center console would be responsible for the alarm? that wire to look for and what switch or connection might not be closing properly? taking the console out is going to be easier than finding time to run by a mechanic if it can be a simple fix.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #9

Agree with JFP, barring the ability to scan the alarm module for answers, it's most likely the center console lock switch. I believe I recall it being a NC switch, which means if you can access it on the bottom of the console lock, you can jumper or short the 2 leads together as a test to see if it fixes your problem.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #10
R3v01u7i0n4ry

Thanks, i'll let ya know how it goes. *crosses fingers*
Old 05-02-2019, 12:22 AM   #11
R3v01u7i0n4ry

Got the console pulled out and found the wire connecting to the door latch mechanism of the it to be plugged it but I am not conviced this little switch has it in it to keep working. Soon as the dev's approve them I all a few photos up. Anywone know where one could purchase a new switch or can I connect those two wires and fool it into believing the circuit is closed?
Old 05-02-2019, 03:31 AM   #12
R3v01u7i0n4ry

I tried using a paperclip to and short the wire that was connected to my consoles computer but not difference. Going to try removing the switch and just attaching it and see if it still persists. Beyond that , the only thing I can think is to splice the wires together but then it it becomes permanent. Any one have link to where I can replace the switch?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #13

Type in w w w dot auto no space atlanta dot com/tinyresults.php?pn=99661320500;TB_iframe=true&height=550&width=875 to pull up a diagram showing the Very Unreasonably priced micro switch. I am sure Pelican (our host) could help you get one, as could any number of other vendors once supplied with the part number in the above link.
But given the cost and the uncertainty that your microswitch is really causing your problem, I would probably look on ebay and elsewhere for a used one if you are just going to "try" replacing it. Seems if you are already dissected down to it in the console, should be easy enuf to test your switch. And what do you mean by "console's computer" ?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
R3v01u7i0n4ry

Yea, I am beginning to think the center console can be ruled out. I've completed the circuit with a paper clip->no change, taken the switch and manually made sure the circuit was completed-> no change. I am beginning to struggle with possibilies. what about the trunk and frunk? and if so..any suggestion son trouble shooting them?>
Old 05-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #15

It really would speed things up to read the alarm faults, as JFP said. If it is too far or expensive to go to the dealer, ask your local "indie" mechanic if they have a PIWIS or PST2 to read the alarm memory. Or join your local chapter of the PCA, where it is likely someone has a PST2 & would be happy to hook it up to your car for a few minutes. Otherwise, more disassembly / inspection / testing is in your future...
Old 05-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
R3v01u7i0n4ry

Definitely planning on scanning it , just finding the time and trying to figure out when to squeeze it iin. Between now and then I'm trying to troubleshoot what I can
Old 05-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #17
R3v01u7i0n4ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
It really would speed things up to read the alarm faults, as JFP said. If it is too far or expensive to go to the dealer, ask your local "indie" mechanic if they have a PIWIS or PST2 to read the alarm memory. Or join your local chapter of the PCA, where it is likely someone has a PST2 & would be happy to hook it up to your car for a few minutes. Otherwise, more disassembly / inspection / testing is in your future...

Well if anyone here is or knows somoesone in the Atlanta/Athens/Winder area and is willing to help that would be great