Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #1

LED bulbs in tailights

Anybody running LED’s in their stock tailights? Any issues with heat or otherwise? I’m ditching my DEPO’s and going back to stock, but I’m thinking of replaced the stock bulbs with LED’s as the stock bulbs tend to get a bit hot. Let me know what you have!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

The problem.....

....with putting LED bulbs in housings designed for incandescent bulbs, is that the reflectors will NOT give you a proper throw pattern and it ends up being much worse light than the stock bulbs.

The focal point of the parabolic reflector is in a different spot for incandescent and LED bulbs.

It's just science.

Not worth the money.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #3

... even if you find LEDs a seller claims (even tries to show) the focal point will be consistent, you'll have heat issues to manage.

LED bulbs still generate heat and some A LOT depending on design! Even more will generated from the needed in-line resistors... for at least the indicator lights to prevent hyper flash all around. Each resistor needs to be securely mounted to metal and kept away from plastic as it can easily melt it. Bench test a 50W 6Ohm resistor w/ 2 LED bulb and tell me how long you can hold on? j/k please do NOT!

And depending on MY you may need to add them for brake / running lights too to avoid any CAN-BUS fault.

Good luck
Old 04-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah, I've tried several different iterations of my own making.
It's not worth the time or effort for the reasons already stated.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....with putting LED bulbs in housings designed for incandescent bulbs, is that the reflectors will NOT give you a proper throw pattern and it ends up being much worse light than the stock bulbs.

The focal point of the parabolic reflector is in a different spot for incandescent and LED bulbs.

It's just science.

Not worth the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yeah, I've tried several different iterations of my own making.
It's not worth the time or effort for the reasons already stated.
Bingo!

I have experienced this myself with particlewave in person. I even left several LED bulbs with him to see what he could come up with.

What's wrong with your DEPO tail lights?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #6

No worries, and I pretty much thought that was the case. In terms of the Depos, really it’s more of a fit and finish thing. They just don’t match the body lines well IMO and I’ve tried several things to get them to fit better. They will be on the sales board soon!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You can't beat stock. I used the VHT Nightshades red to convert a stock set of amber tail lights to all red. After having both the Depo and Dectane, these are definitely my favorite.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You can't beat stock. I used the VHT Nightshades red to convert a stock set of amber tail lights to all red. After having both the Depo and Dectane, these are definitely my favorite.

Oh, I like that idea. I donít have too much issue with the amber, but that looks nice!