Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #1

Need some opinions...

I just picked up a Silver 986 S a few weeks ago, although I really wanted a black one, just couldn't turn it down. The previous owner had put some decals down low on the sides and a racing stripe on the hood and trunk. I had full intentions on removing all of it but haven't gotten around to it yet. After driving it for a few weeks, the decals have kind of grown on me. It's finally nice enough outside that I can go out and remove them, just not sure if I want to now.

The decals are all from things that the PO put on or in the car. From front to back: Manzo (I believe the headers), Evolution Motorsports (intake and stage 3 tune), FabSpeed Motorsport (supercup exhaust system), Mobile, Cooper tires.

I told my friend I was going to remove them, he said he liked them and he thought they were done in a tasteful way.
Let me know what you think....

BK177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #2
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

I like the racing stripes, not crazy about the lower ones. The racing stripes would have looked better if they wrapped over the bumpers as well but they look good regardless.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #3

Since you're asking for opinions....
I'd remove all of the stuff. Of course, I the guy that remove the Boxster S script from the trunk of my car back in the day.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Stripes and stickers are a matter of individual taste and a personal thing. These look like they were done well by the previous owner to 'make the car his (or her) own'.

I think it looks fine, but if I just bought it, I'd scrape that cr@p off and 'make it my own'.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #5

I do know that if I'd had bought it without any of it, I would have not put that stuff on there. Keep in mind I'm in my late 30s and don't have any tattoos, pretty rare in my area. Lol
Old 05-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #6

I would wait a little longer and see how you feel since the car is new to you and you're not quite settled yet. The summer weather will be around for a while and fall weather is even better. Take on some other projects to make it your own/baseline the maintenance and then make a call before winter weather arrives.
986andmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:39 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Stripes and stickers are a matter of individual taste and a personal thing. These look like they were done well by the previous owner to 'make the car his (or her) own'.

I think it looks fine, but if I just bought it, I'd scrape that cr@p off and 'make it my own'.
Ha! I thought the same thing. I'm as guilty of anyone of having some stickers on the car, but I want them to generally be a reflection of me.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #8

I am with the general consensus, look fine not overly stated so perhaps not worry about it unless there bothering you.

I am the guy no tattoos, but like checking out others who have them. I like the art work aspect, some very talented artist in some studios.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #9

I appreciate the input. Personally, I like all my cars to be black with tinted windows and black/ chrome wheels. I settled with silver and I'm trying to figure out how to get the look right. I think I will leave it as is for now and see once I have different wheels and the windows are tinted.

If I had my way, I'd snap my fingers and the car would be black. However, I don't see myself paying for a wrap and obviously not painting it a different color. So I will see what I can do with some wheels and other things. The decals stay for now. Just need to find the right 18" wheels and paint them black.