Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #81
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Regardless of how long he`s been working on Porsches the oil level sits at a much higher level even if the the oil level is at the minimum sign of the dipstick. You can find info about it on my show&tell thread if interested. Everyone who makes a bunch of money on these kits has an interest in telling you DOF is critical and your engine will fall apart if you don`t have it installed.

Actually, apparently now if you have an IMS kit to sell you have to add DOF to it, otherwise it won`t sell, regardless of being necessary or not. I just looked at the EPS website about the roller bearing and it`s kind of funny that they also add DOF in their kit even though they think it`s unnecessary

Just watched the PCA Spotlight: Types of IMS bearing retrofit kits youtube video that has Jake Raby in it and they put up a notice that you can remove the seal and there is no need for direct oil feeding.

So what's all the hype over the direct oil feeding solutions?

Old 04-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #82

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Just watched the PCA Spotlight: Types of IMS bearing retrofit kits youtube video that has Jake Raby in it and they put up a notice that you can remove the seal and there is no need for direct oil feeding.

So what's all the hype over the direct oil feeding solutions?

That`s what I`m talking about.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #83

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
JFP covered this on page 2 of this thread. The premise behind DOF whether with Jake’s “Solution” or TuneRS/Pedro’s system is bearing cooling and more precise oiling of the bearings.
I understand the premise, and I don`t doubt it`s true. I`m just not convinced about it`s necessity and that DOF on it`s own makes a difference.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #84

Quote:
I understand the premise, and I don`t doubt it`s true. I`m just not convinced about it`s necessity and that DOF on it`s own makes a difference.
You and a whole lot of other people when it comes to "open" bearings (ball or roller type), solid bearings are another story however...….
Old 04-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #85
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
That`s what I`m talking about.
Man this pisses me off. Pedro is straight up lying. Pedro says the oil is lower then it actually is and the bearing will shed all the oil and does this on video. PCA says you can remove the seal and be just fine with the engine oil keeping the bearing lubricated.

My apologies Homeoboxter, you are correct.

Pedro says the "DOF" is patented, JFP in PA says Jake Raby has the patent on it, I put up the video with the words coming out of Pedro's mouth that the part is patented. JFP in PA comes back and says that's still wrong. So I go to checking on the patents and Jake Raby does have the patent on it under IMS Sollutions LLC.

My apologies JFP in PA, you are correct and here is the patent on it.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8992089B2/en

Old 04-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #86
Need For Speed

Garage
I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. I just left a comment on Pedro's video about the patent and he replied back saying that the "DOF" is patented. I asked him for the patent number, lets see what he comes back with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUq2DFpeKw&lc=z23sx3gaqwq3f10pf04t1aokgk3eeayxxuogyep2gkajrk0 h00410.1554936164430986
Old 04-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. I just left a comment on Pedro's video about the patent and he replied back saying that the "DOF" is patented. I asked him for the patent number, lets see what he comes back with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUq2DFpeKw&lc=z23sx3gaqwq3f10pf04t1aokgk3eeayxxuogyep2gkajrk0 h00410.1554936164430986
I know they tried to patent it, but my understanding is the application was denied.

I have seen "patent pending" in their early literature, but now there is no mention of patents, nor will a search turn up one.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #88

There are three types of bearings being used in IMS replacement kits. Ball, Roller and Flat. What may be appropriate for one type may not be for another and yet may be required for a third. The larger the bearing surface the more heat must be dissipated and thus roller thrust and flat bearings require different oil amounts than ball bearings.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #89
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Fwiw....

.....as many folks have posted, you can choose to just drive the car and not worry about this and take your chances.

The odds are it will not blow.

But if it does.....

I shipped my car to Jake Raby and he installed the “IMS Solution” in my car and I have put 30,000 miles on it.

If you want to replace your IMS, I highly recommend the “Solution”.

I am not saying you must change it.

I’m just saying if you ARE going to change it, get the “Solution” and be done with it.

I drive all over with no worry.

Priceless.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #90

TuneRS web site still lists the DOF as patent pending.

As one who shepherded a patent claim through the process it can take years before it is finally granted. You have to educate the patent examiner in the technology and how your design differs from anything else (s)he comes up with to initially deny your claim on the basis that it is too similar to someone else's. Which means a combination of patent lawyers and technical experts. And each time into the Patent Office the "paperwork" waits till an examiner with the right background can get to it which can be years. An offshoot of an understaffed government agency.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #91

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You and a whole lot of other people when it comes to "open" bearings (ball or roller type), solid bearings are another story however...….
Yep, plain bearings require oil feed usually. Although they are usually applied where constant oil supply (immersion) is not available, like at the crankshaft, camshaft, etc.. At these bearings if the pressure drops in the oil line they fail. Motorcycle engines are often fitted with plain bearings without pressure oil feed, they are just submerged into oil, or the rotating parts transfer oil onto them constantly (splashing), and oil can flow in spiral oil channels between the bushing and the journal. Sometimes these bearings have oil pockets where the oil can sit in and can serve as a constant oil cushion to the journal. They work pretty well and never fail. It`s possible that a plain bearing designed for benefiting oil immersion would work at the IMS, as you mentioned before that nothing happens (for a while) if you disconnect the oil supply to the plain IMSB. This is just theoretical of course, I wouldn`t risk trying it.